Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Noise & Replacement

IS250SEL 07 now needs new front tyres (23K) currently Bridgstone 225/45/17W. I have been very disapointed with the level of road noise with this car since day one so would like any recommendatons as to suitable replacements. I have been offered Toyo tyres (£145 each)which I've never heard of and been told they are original Lexus equipment which I can not verify. So maybe someone with more knowledge than me (not difficult when it comes to cars!) can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

FWIW, I recently went through this dilemma on my RX. It had crapstone tyres which were noisy, too hard and lacked grip in the wet. Truly awful tyres. Was very happy to get rid off them.

The Toyos (and the Kumhos) are very good tyres and I am sure others who have bought them have been very happy [on their ISs]. I have had Kumhos fitted to my 205Gti and they are absolutely brilliant. I think VWs come with Hankooks and Kumhos factory fit.

Might be worth doing a forum search to see what others have thought, but I do have a preference for Michelin (thanks to Costco) or Contis. Have a full set of Conti 4x4 UHP tyres to my RX and they have been nothing short of wonderful.

I had tyre noise problems on my Honda Accord which was much improved by a change from Dunlop SP Sport to Michelin Pilot Primacy. The Michelins were significantly more expensive but they seem to last longer. However, at the time I received a lot of conflicting advice and opinion about the amount of noise generated by different tyres.

IS250SEL 07 now needs new front tyres (23K) currently Bridgstone 225/45/17W. I have been very disapointed with the level of road noise with this car since day one so would like any recommendatons as to suitable replacements. I have been offered Toyo tyres (£145 each)which I've never heard of and been told they are original Lexus equipment which I can not verify. So maybe someone with more knowledge than me (not difficult when it comes to cars!) can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Changed my Bridgestones for Toyo T1R PROXES. So much quieter & good grip, bonus they look great on the car as well. Got mine from www. camskill.co.uk £73 delivered. Local tyre shop fitted at £10 each.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/tota...3162/noise.html

Have a look at this tyre review, they didnt find much noise difference between the tyres.

That testing is flawed as it measures airborne noise, heard from outside the car or in the car with the window(s) open, and not what's transferred from the road back through the tyre walls, the rims and the suspension which is the noise you actually hear in an enclosed car. Airborne noise is referred to as 'tyre noise' whereas the transferred noise is known as 'road noise', with road noise being the most dominant inside the car.

The characteristics are totally different. I can say with absolute certainty that the road noise of my original Bridgestone Potenza's was a lot higher than that of my current Toyo T1-R's, yet that table would have you believe the opposite is true.

Not just me either as it's been said by many owners and also the reason why Toyo's and Dunlops were fitted later to the second generation IS as standard equipment .

More info in section 3.4 (tyre noise) and 4.5 (road noise) in this book review http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SppqPyd...esult#PPA150,M1

That testing is flawed as it measures airborne noise, heard from outside the car or in the car with the window(s) open, and not what's transferred from the road back through the tyre walls, the rims and the suspension which is the noise you actually hear in an enclosed car.

Oh, where does it say that? I must have missed it.

All I saw was this, "To achieve the fairest result, we’ve looked at what you’d experience in day-to-day driving. Our assessment should not to be confused with those tests required by law; the latter are carried out from the roadside with specially sealed cars to prevent the engine or transmission affecting the outcome."

and this,"A microphone was positioned by the driver’s ear, close to

the door, in order to provide a real world assessment."

Im not sure "day-to-day driving" is done with the window open.

The test is still measuring tyre noise as there's no way they can provide typical figures for the more dominant road noise as there's too much variation in between cars (and road surfaces).

Well, I've gotten a rear punture already. I'll go and see if it can be fixed tomorrow.

A few questions,

The car currently has Dunlop Sport Max all round, can they be mixed with other makes of tyre, such as the Toyo?

Am I stuck with replacing with the exact same tyre or having to change both rear tyre to be able to go to a different make?

Would the Toyo be any quieter than the Sportmax?

Thanks

Seeing as the IS is a RWD vehicle, it might be twitchy and sensitive to tyre mixing on that particular axle. You have my sympathies when it comes to tyre punctures - have had a couple too soon after fitting new tyres :( It sucks...

I would say that, for peace of mind, replace in pairs for the above reason. Cost is going to be more, but unless more leaned people can post back assurances to the contrary, you're stuck having to do both - although are you sure the puncture cannot be repaired, which if done properly and correctly, is perfectly safe.

The tyre has a screw embedded into it 5cm away from the wall, and 3cm away from the where the curve at the edge of the tyre begins.

The guy at National tyres says it can't be repaired, and quoted £185 to replace it. LOL.

I've found these prices.

Kumho KU31 245/45 R17 W (95) £104 mobile fitted

Toyo Proxes T1-R 245/45 R17 Y (99) £125 mobile fitted

What is the significance of the "W" on the Kumho? EDIT: I found the information, its only rated to 168mph. I guess it's suitable then, since that is more than the max speed of the car.

Also found this on another site DUNLOP SPORTMAXX MFS 245/45R17 95Y £151 fitted.

and wondered if the "MFS" means this is a different tyre to the ones I have fitted, which dont have the "MFS" after the Sportmax on the tyre wall.

EDIT: MFS = (Maximum Flange Sheild) system protects expensive alloy wheels from kerbing.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to run on the space saver for too long.

I'm tempted to put a pair of the Kumho tyres on since they scored the best for noise in the auto express tyre review.

Thanks

No I didnt try Costco despite driving past one of their stores every day.

I've been given a quote for a single Dunlop sportmaxx for £110 fitted and ballanced. I'm going to go with that. In light of that quote The National tyres "best price" of £185 seems like daylight robbery. I will never consider them again. Especialy now that I know a tyre can be ordeded online and fitted locally, or fitted by a guy in a van at any location for only £4 more.

If I had shares in any of the highstreet tyre fitting companies I'd be selling them today.

I hope that the small difference in tread depth between the two rear tyres won't cause any problems.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Ok, I left the car and keys at work for the mobile fitter to come and fit the new tyre. I get back to work at the end of the day the tyre is fitted, great, good service no time wasted.

So, on the way home I stop at the supermarket, and have a quick look at the tyre fitted. Dunlop SP Sport 9000. What the ****?

Phone conversation with the fitter had gone like this.

Him: What tyre do you want?

Me :Dunop Sport Max.

Him: Does it have to be the Sport Max?

Me : Yes.

So he fits a SP Sport 9000. 245/45 ZR17

Muppet! :/

Thankfully I paid with credit card.

So what happens next? Do I keep the tyre and ask for a partial refund?

Ask him to take the tyre back off and give a full refund?

Is the tyre safe to use?

Max load is listed on the tyre is 685KG, I think. Is that enough for this car with 5 people and luggage?