Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Vibration When Braking

whiteman

B) I thought I would share this with you guys, after many months trying to sort out my steering/vibration when braking I have sorted it.

I now know the problem which I know many other owners are having and not to reply to all other posts thought I would just do one.

i was getting fed up of trying to cuer it, everyone saying its front brake discs, replaced them still the same, so the next was a sticky caliper, stripped and cleaned etc, still the same. So next was all the suspension bushes were checked and found to be fine. No point replacing something that is not broken.

After many months of putting up with it I have found the problem. It is a mis shaped tyre on the front, which can be caused by hit potholes etc. I only found this by getting a flat tyre and putting the spare on. Everything is perfect now, no wobble or vibration, B)

I am now happy it has being sorted.. It does not matter the brand of tyre as it can happen to any tyre. So all you guys out there that are having the same problem just put your spare on the front trying one at a time and you should and maybe get the same result.

It has worked for me. Now I am buying new tyres.

I am so happy I have sorted it. It must be the first time I am glad I got a flat tyre B)

Hope it is of some use to you lot out there as it was for me. :hehe:

Glad it's sorted for you mate :)

I was hoping it might be a potential cure for mine too but I know it's not the tyres as I've had it on an old set and new set and two different sets of wheels too so not a balancing issue either........

Is it definitely the tyre that is mis-shaped and not the wheel itself that has a problem ?

it is the tyre that is slightly mis shaped as it was put on the balancing machine and the alloy is perfectly round.

Not suprised by your findings.....I have found that my Lexus (RX300) it extremely sensitive to wheel balance, far more so than any other vehicle I have ever owned......

Thankfully I have found a tyre dealer not very far away that uses a balancer that is actually calibrated! :whistling:

• 1 month later...

Over the past 20 years I have driven two cars that "vibrated" upon braking - each one after purchasing 4 new tires. the first car was a 1989 Mazda 929 - one of the first luxury Japanese makes. I could never figure out why a set of new tires caused this phenomenon - and spent quite a bit having the tires, suspension and brakes looked at. Then in 1997, I purchased a 1993 Lexus LS400 with 28,000 miles one it and new tires. When I had run those tires down and purchased new ones, the vibration started off again. You can imagine my state of mind!

Once more, money, money, money made the effect seem to go away. Then I bumped into a knowlwdgeable fellow - I think he was a mechanic at a Lexus dealer - when I was putting a third set of new tires on the car and he told me that when purchasing from a non-Lexus, "any old brand" tire dealer, they do not torque down the lug nuts on the tires to the specified torque values for a Lexus - they just pick up an air-hammer bolt driver and bang those nuts tight. This presses against the brakes - or some part thereof - and causes the vibration. So, the next time I bought a whole new set, I asked specifically if they would NOT use an air hammer to tighten the lug nuts and please look up the proper torque settings for the car & USE a torque wrench. No problem. Ever again.

Another little issue came up with my mother's 1992 SC300: I told her to get her oil changed only at Lexus but she can't resist these ads promising an oil change & new filter for $15 - $19 - and she likes to change the oil a lot. So one day she calls me complaining of an oil leak on the floor of her garage. When these shops change oil, they do not torque the drain plug nut to specs, they pick up an air-hammer driver and drive that drain plug HOME! Naturally, the oil pan is made of very thin metal and over-tightening it had caused the leak. "Go to Lexus, Mother", I said. She did and they called to say [somewhat sheepishly] that she needed a "new oil pan installed" which was going to cost $500. Since I'd had a lot of service there and they knew me, they "suggested" to me that she take it back to the oil change shop. [As you know, Lexus dealers are forbidden to "fix" any parts. They only remove parts and put on new parts. It's required by their franchise agreement, even if the gentle use of a pair of pliers could fix a part so it would run fine forever.] So we went back to the oil change shop and asked them if they would use a tap and die to enlarge the oil drain hole for the next larger size drain plug nut. They fixed it without cost to us by using a tap and die and we saved $500.

Vibration could also be your hub mounting flange...as these get really hot upon brakeing if its slightly warped the extra heat could make it vibrate more..hence when your brakeing or general driving at certain speed.......just a thought.. ;)