Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

You Are Insured, But Are You In The Database?

Hi guys/gals, seen a thread about this a while ago. I went to renew my road tax the other night online at DVLA website, but after entering in my code/reference number that u get with the reminder (V11) through the post, the website says they can't find my insurance details in their database. So i tried it a few times with both internet explorer and firefox browser (incase there some secruity stopping the transmission of data etc). But both came back with same result. Check my documents and yes i am insured until July 2009 and MOT until then. The following day had to phone up my insurance company (Adrian Flux, broker Equity Red Star) to find out what is going on and they came back with "oh looks like the broker has not updated the details". WTF why does it take 5 months to update my details, infact it should NOT take longer than 48 hrs! But anyway, glad i found this out earlier than later as im sure i would have probably got pulled up by the traffic cops as it's flagging up in red with their number plate reader. Don't understand how they can miss something for so long. Ended up going to the post office to get my tax in the end! Rant over.

Hi guys/gals, seen a thread about this a while ago. I went to renew my road tax the other night online at DVLA website, but after entering in my code/reference number that u get with the reminder (V11) through the post, the website says they can't find my insurance details in their database. So i tried it a few times with both internet explorer and firefox browser (incase there some secruity stopping the transmission of data etc). But both came back with same result. Check my documents and yes i am insured until July 2009 and MOT until then. The following day had to phone up my insurance company (Adrian Flux, broker Equity Red Star) to find out what is going on and they came back with "oh looks like the broker has not updated the details". WTF why does it take 5 months to update my details, infact it should NOT take longer than 48 hrs! But anyway, glad i found this out earlier than later as im sure i would have probably got pulled up by the traffic cops as it's flagging up in red with their number plate reader. Don't understand how they can miss something for so long. Ended up going to the post office to get my tax in the end! Rant over.

i know i am thank god.

As you say this could have caused you a great deal of anxiety, embarrassment and inconvenience if you had been pulled over. There should be an easy way to check up that your insurance, MOT and licence information are accurate and up to date. Surely this is a human right.

as mentioned in another thread, they could have taken your car...

you would have got it back eventually, but more than a bit inconvenient especially

if you were on the way somewhere important (such as work!!) etc.

There was a link where you could check if your REG No is covered. It didn't give any other

details, it just confirmed that your car was on the Insurance database as being covered.

Ahhhh just found the LINKY HERE

I'd suggest you all check !

EDIT*** Satv beat me to it, I had written my reply but waited till I found the link before I posted lol

Adrian Flux are blaming Equity Red Star as brokers, which is exactly what Adrian Flux are. Who are you actually insured with? I cannot understand why a broker would go through another broker-awful lot of middle men. The insurer, not the broker, is responsible for ensuring that they update the database and strictly according to the law it should be done within 7 days.

On checking it seems that Equity Red Star are not brokers, they are apparently the 5th largest motor insurer in UK, so Adrian Flux are correct to blame them for not updating but wrong to say they are brokers.

Adrian Flux are blaming Equity Red Star as brokers, which is exactly what Adrian Flux are. Who are you actually insured with? I cannot understand why a broker would go through another broker-awful lot of middle men. The insurer, not the broker, is responsible for ensuring that they update the database and strictly according to the law it should be done within 7 days.

On checking it seems that Equity Red Star are not brokers, they are apparently the 5th largest motor insurer in UK, so Adrian Flux are correct to blame them for not updating but wrong to say they are brokers.

I have exactly the same with Equity Red Star. They had "forgotten" to put my car on the database and were less than bothered i'd had to be grilled for over an hour by a traffic cop trying to prove i was insured.

Now i use that Askmid.com as soon as i get insured to keep checking till i'm on there, just to be sure.

Cheers for the link....im still not on there even though they said the other day they will correct this. They also said the other day if i do get stopped by the traffic cops, all i have to do is contact Adrian Flux and they can confirm that i am insured. But you know what will happen on the day i get stopped....it will be after 5:30pm and their office is closed! Must now carry all the docs with me whereever i go until they update me on their database.

Cheers for the link....im still not on there even though they said the other day they will correct this. They also said the other day if i do get stopped by the traffic cops, all i have to do is contact Adrian Flux and they can confirm that i am insured. But you know what will happen on the day i get stopped....it will be after 5:30pm and their office is closed! Must now carry all the docs with me whereever i go until they update me on their database.

If I was you, I'd be reminding the insurance company that I'd be sueing them for damages if I got stopped by the police unnecessarily because they hadn't updated the database. I would bet that would make them get their act together.

This is unbelieveable!!!! I'm with Adrian Flux too and I just checked that site and my car is not on it either WTF!! The last thing any of us need is a reason to be pulled over, especially as was said "out of hours". Now I have to chase them up............Usual story, quick enough to take your money, so lets see them complete things their end!!

Maybe we should make this thread availiable so every LOC member can check, maybe then Adrian Flux for example might get their finger out as they seem to have taken a few bob from LOC members that use their services?

Unreal!!!!

Keith

If I was you, I'd be reminding the insurance company that I'd be sueing them for damages if I got stopped by the police unnecessarily because they hadn't updated the database. I would bet that would make them get their act together.

Thats what i did, was on within the day

Just a couple of points on this subject. It is not the responsibility of a broker to provide details to the MID. In fact, the broker will not have contact with the database. It is the insurance company that provides the information to the MID, so in the example given it was Equity Red Star that provides the information not Adrian Flux.

Something else worth considering is that it is NOT a legal requirement for insurance details to be on the MID. The MID is not a definitive source, it is just an aid that the police use. Evidence of cover, such as a valid cover note or certificate will over-ride any information on the database.

If you contact the police they should confirm this to you.