Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Not Right

KILLER1

Hi ya Guys,

I noticed over the last month my steering wheel becomes very shakey between 55 mph and faster becomes worse, Almost feels like tyres are not balanced. Virbartion is really, really bad. Steering wheel moves side to side.

I got the tyres checked and the did not need balanced.

Checked tyre pressures they were ok too

Pulled over when it happened the last time as it was really bad could hardly go above 50 mph but time before that i thought was just a bit of rough road surface and when i relised it wasnt the road it stoped after couple of mins but this time it lasted alot longer, happened on various roads and it different times.

After i drove off from checking under the car turning the steering it was ok... STRANGE ONE......

I noticed about a 3 months ago that when i start up the car from being cold and drive off you get a wee noice from power steeing, Goes away after a sec or two ... Could it be my powersteering PUMP. CHECKED FLUID AND ITS OK, NO LEAKS??

DO YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE POWERSTEERING FLUID EVERY COUPLE OF YEARS OR IS IT LONG LIFE< I HAVE NEVER CHANGED IT IN ANY OTHER CAR I HAVE HAD?

take it to a garege where they can give it a good check over.it could be a number of things causing the problem.you could also have an out of shape tyre where the tyre goes egg shaped.jack car up so wheel off ground spin the wheel and get a piece of wood or somethig like close to and across the width of the tread.you will see if there is any problem by the gap between wood and tyre not being the same.can try this on the side of the wheel to see if its buckled to.hope this helps gluck

take it to a garege where they can give it a good check over.it could be a number of things causing the problem.you could also have an out of shape tyre where the tyre goes egg shaped.jack car up so wheel off ground spin the wheel and get a piece of wood or somethig like close to and across the width of the tread.you will see if there is any problem by the gap between wood and tyre not being the same.can try this on the side of the wheel to see if its buckled to.hope this helps gluck

Think if it was a buckled wheel, or egg shaped wheel it would have shown up when he got them balanced?

If I was you, I'd get a second opinion on the wheel balancing, try and find a garage that has some up-to-date wheel balancing machines. There have been stories on here in the past of members who were told by one garage that their wheels were balanced fine, but when they took them somewhere else they found they weren't, and balancing caused their problems.

Jomo - I would have thought it would show up too, but after seeing how good machines like the ones that WIM use for balancing are, I'm highly dubious of some of the wheel balancing services that are on offer.

depending who checked them .no disrespect but some places dont care.plus they may not be able to see an out of shape tyre when on the balencing machine.depends what angle they stood at and wether the machine has a guard over it.gluk

Yeah, this is the sort of thing I mean. The more up-to-date wheel balancing machines will detect if the wheel is buckled etc and tell the operator.

Sounds like a sticky caliper to me, had the same problem earlier this year!

I have swapped my wheels round and the local tyre place a good friend said that the tyres are all good quality Bridgestone and balanced....

How did you know it was your caliper and how was it repaired... Thanks Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links