Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Preowned Cars?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so Lexus gb ok with you slating Lexus on the forum but not to mention the franchisee?

One other thing is the fact that in every post you have made you propogate the fact you are a webmaster with hundreds of sites. I'm not sure what this has to do with the issue and is the main reason I am suspicious.

I can't help think there is a little advertising here.

You're calling the car a lemon but haven't described any actual problems with it?

A missing key and no service history is an inconvenience but hardly makes the car a lemon.

Hello Paradriod, The said car was meant to be inspected yesterday but it got cancelled till tomorrow and as far as having no service history being an small inconvenience would you buy any Lexus if it was indeed missing?

If it was missing do you think your Lexus would find another owner, whether bits is falling off it or NOT if theres no service history its worse than an lemon in my humble opinion.

how old was the car and how many miles?

Sorry Steve but that information would lead to the dealers front door.

As far as advertising goes I dont own any car related websites yet but who knows what the future may bring and no you wont see any links of any websites here at all.

For clarification I think my LEXUS RX300 despite the wrongs is the best car in the world I have either driven or owned and that is almost every car in the world, I am not asking much I am only asking LEXUS GB to deliver their undertakings/warranties in full and in good faith as I had held them with the same regard before the purchase.

Kind regards,

Bunter

I had a similar experience regarding "Approved Used Lexus" when I bought my RX300 earlier this year.....I trawled the official Lexus GB website to find an AUL and found just what I was looking for......I had to travel only a 200 mile round trip to view the vehicle which for all purposes was just what I was looking for......then I was told by the dealer upon mentioning (in passing as I am already an AA member) about the breakdown cover on the AUL warranty that it was not an AUL vehicle but would be covered by thier own warranty which was "exactly the same apart from the breakdown cover"......this suprised me somewhat as it was listed on the official UK site, but was told it must have been an adminastrive error.....somebody pushed the wrong button!

Somewhat foolishly I went along with the sale anyway without seeing the full warranty terms as "they had not access to website of the company that supplied the warranty" on that day.......needless to say the warranty supplied exludes just about everything that could wear out of break on the vehicle!

Having said that....I like the vehicle and it has been almost faultless....some little niggles like squealing drive belt a month after sale (fixed at cost of the supplying dealer as NOT included in the warranty) and a badly leaking rear shock absorber which was spotted when my local dealer was fixing the squealing drive belt, the supplying dealer said thier pre delivery inspection did not spot the leak so could not have been there, as it also was supplied with a new MoT.......and of course we all know MoT stations are faultless? :shutit:

They agreed to pay half the cost of reparing the shock absorber.....when it was taken off it was pretty obvious it had been leaking for a long time......but quite frankly I could care less.....my life and time is too costly to spend argueing over this crap!

Its a lovely grand touring vehicle which transports us effortlessly and without fuss.....thats what I bought it for.

BTW. Lexus UK could not give a damn when I contacted them about the listing error....and just passed my query back to the dealer!

Best regards David

Oh yes....forgot to mention the LOOSE oil filter the local dealer found was leaking oil as well!!! And I thought I was glad it had a service before I picked it up :lol:

You don't seem to be up to date with English Law, you want:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994

The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002

Also just because it has an MOT does not mean it is safe to drive the next day or the next week, it's not "against the law" from the garage perspective only from you taking it onto a public road.

You seem to have come in blasted off and shot yourself in the foot because you don't know what you are talking about in some respects.

Also you can lock the car with the key if the fob doesn't work. Have alook in the manual ;)

Only my opinion.

Hope you get a resolution.

Totally agree. If you are so clued up how come you paid for any part of a repair in the first 6 months? A badly leaking shock absorber would not be excluded from the "reversed burden of proof" for the first 6 months after purchase of your vehicle so you should have insisted that they rectified it for you. Apart from seeming somewhat lacking in knowledge for what you purport to be, I am amazed that anyone would purchase a vehicle in such a slipshod manner regarding paperwork, keys etc.

how old was the car and how many miles?

Sorry Steve but that information would lead to the dealers front door.

What a pile of cow manure. You obviously care enough to type spuriously long rants about Lexus-this and Lexus-that and waffle on (and on!) infinitum about how this wasn't done and that wasn't apparent - yet you are unable to provide even the briefest of details when requested. And I remain mystified how the above information can lead someone directly to the vehicle you bought?

I have said before, and I will re-iterate my position: I don't believe that you are genuine and simply post for reaction. And as dave1 says above, it is amzing how anyone could buy such a lemon, might I then suggest that you are perhaps a fool for not doing your homework before you so eagerly parted with your money...and I'm sure you know what they say about fools and their money being easily parted?

You don't seem to be up to date with English Law, you want:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994

The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002

Also just because it has an MOT does not mean it is safe to drive the next day or the next week, it's not "against the law" from the garage perspective only from you taking it onto a public road.

You seem to have come in blasted off and shot yourself in the foot because you don't know what you are talking about in some respects.

Also you can lock the car with the key if the fob doesn't work. Have alook in the manual ;)

Only my opinion.

Hope you get a resolution.

Totally agree. If you are so clued up how come you paid for any part of a repair in the first 6 months? A badly leaking shock absorber would not be excluded from the "reversed burden of proof" for the first 6 months after purchase of your vehicle so you should have insisted that they rectified it for you. Apart from seeming somewhat lacking in knowledge for what you purport to be, I am amazed that anyone would purchase a vehicle in such a slipshod manner regarding paperwork, keys etc.

Dave 1......you need to reread this thread more carefully, it was my vehicle that had the leaking shock absorber not the OP. And yes I even got onto my local trading standards office and they stated that I could not prove the shock absorber was leaking at the time of purchase, so I guess even my trading standards office is lacking the knowledge as well!

It would indeed be preferable to replace shock absorbers in pairs, but there is no "requirement" in law that states that. In fact when I queried this with Lexus Southend I was told it was quite normal to replace one providing the remaining S/A is without fault, and quite frankly having worked within the R&E of motor vehicles for over 30 years the only time I can recall test vehicles having shock absorbers changed in pairs or sets is when required for handling/ride evaluation (springs are a different matter!) broken or failed shock absorbers are just changed as and when required.

Best regards David

Dave 1......you need to reread this thread more carefully, it was my vehicle that had the leaking shock absorber not the OP. And yes I even got onto my local trading standards office and they stated that I could not prove the shock absorber was leaking at the time of purchase, so I guess even my trading standards office is lacking the knowledge as well!

Best regards David

My apologies. So much drivel from OP that I "lost" the thread somewhat I think.

However, as I said, during the 1st 6 months the burden of proof lies with the supplying dealer to prove that a fault was not present or developing which is why it is known as "reverse burden of proof." Might I suggest that you request your local trading standards office to recheck the legal position regarding such issues.

Best regards David

My apologies. So much drivel from OP that I "lost" the thread somewhat I think.

However, as I said, during the 1st 6 months the burden of proof lies with the supplying dealer to prove that a fault was not present or developing which is why it is known as "reverse burden of proof." Might I suggest that you request your local trading standards office to recheck the legal position regarding such issues.

I think I will give them another ring......maybe talk to somebody other than the cleaner! :lol:

I'd be interested in Tony's (WIM) opinion on the shocks, I have always been told as I stated above,

however if I am wrong I apologise.

Your not wrong...it would be the ideal solution to replace both if the pair were a matched set.....but I know from experience that shock absorber rates can vary slightly even when brand new......so no guarantee the new "pair" would be better matched than one replacement, providing the remaining damper is in good condition.

I guess really we should call them by thier correct term....a SPRING is a shock absorber, a "SHOCK ABSORBER" is in fact a damper.....but thats another thread :lol:

UPDATE:-

I brought my complaint to Consumer Direct who was very interested in the miss-selling practices of some of Lexus GB dealerships on the Lexus GB website, they also put my claims to the test with other dealerships and guess what?

The dealer claims they made an mistake with the placing of the advert on the Lexus GB website and on Friday after disscussions with Lexus GB management removed several of their adverts that should not have been there to start with!

It matters not Trading Standards in England think that its the fault of Lexus GB as they are responsible for all adverts carried on their website and as I have already stated they have no website disclaimers giving the opt-out for their dealerships to offer anything less than promissed on the Lexus GB website.

The said dealer has asked me if I wanted to pay the warranty myself at an cost of £865 for 1 year and £1634 for 2 years this cost for what is meant to be one of the best reliable cars in the world is really out of this world?

I am by nature a digger of crap and since this started I have been told by 4 other sources (lexus GB dealers) there have been meetings with Lexus GB officials asking for this huge sum to be reduced as the dealers cant afford to offer the full Lexus Warranties any more and no much wonder if this is the price being put on to any RX3OO motors or other models?

I phoned Lexus yesterday who claimed this was an one off and the dealer had made the mistake when I then told them there was many dealers ignoring the warranty pledges from Lexus GB they went mental lol

I told them they would have to remove at least 50% of all Pre-owned Lexus cars from their website as all the dealers I contacted said they were offering their own warranties instead this is very true and forum members can check this out for themselves maybe admin can start an thread like "which dealer is opting out of the pre-owned warranties"

It seems that just about every car under the £10000 bracket will not be covered any more and its the dealers who have decided this as the simply cant afford the prices charged by Lexus GB in the present economic climate.

The problem for Lexus dealers now is why would anyone thinking of buying an used Lexus without full warranties buy from them in the first place when the warranties offered by back street guys offer the now same bog standard crap at much reduced prices?

As far as my car goes it has now been checked by Aberdeen Lexus after being asked to do so by Lexus GB the reason the fob/central locking was failing was the fact the ignition barrel was broken and the key was coming out at the first notch thus leaving on the electrics.....lol

my foot parking brake (new cable) was fitted wrong!!!

my front discs and pads were needing replaced and the power steering was needing looked at more closely but all in all not a bad car he said I hate to see an bad one guys :tsktsk:

I have now built the website I was going to do bought the priceless domain name and ready to upload it and before we say anything guys no there will be no links from here to there but there will be links from there to here but I am waiting for Lexus GB to do the honarable thing and give me the said warranty I dont want anything else just what their website offered and claimed.

I still think my Lexus RX300 is wonderful though despite the above and have just found out if in town driving you switch off the overdrive function you may get better fuel consumption but dont ask me why?

Kind regards,

Bunter

....... would you buy any Lexus if it was indeed missing?

No , I don't suppose he would but that's what you have done! You seem to know all about consumer affairs and yet you have failed to abide by the golden rule " Buyer beware ". You also seem to be making a big thing about a disability.....can you tell me what that's got to do with buying a car? I am disabled myself but I don't think it has ever interfered with me making purchases! If you are genuine then I wish you all the best but I fear not!

The said dealer has asked me if I wanted to pay the warranty myself at an cost of £865 for 1 year and £1634 for 2 years this cost for what is meant to be one of the best reliable cars in the world is really out of this world?

Well, If you want to extend the warranty on a three year old Mercedes E Class 320 CDI it will cost you £1006 for the first year! How old is your car because to extend the warranty on a three year old LS 430 is about £750 per year so my local dealer tells me.

Admittedly the cost of a warranty doesn't make for pleasant reading - but these vehicles are complex and if things go wrong (just see recent threads around calliper failure and various sensors going and my own experiences) it can be very expensive to set right even the smallest of issues. And dare I say the cost isn't as exorbitant as other comparable cars and marques - remember the Lexus product is excess free too.

I would never dream of running a vehicle like the RX without proper back up an thats why we extended our warranty and will do so again next year when it falls due.

• 3 weeks later...

FINAL UPDATE:-

Sorry I have not been keeping my fellow members up to date with events of the last 10 days or so but I have been told to say nothing from Lexus GB until it all got sorted!

I bought the said car from Lexus Teesside on an 51 plate £5000 NU51KHK after seeing it advertised on the official Lexus GB APPROVERD PREOWNED website, the dealership gave me the deal over the phone which included the Warranty which was meant to be the full monty but as the price of the car was so low they could only do it for 3 months which seemed fair enough ( I did not know Lexus only do 12 months ones ) the car was to be fully serviced and mot'ed. I paid all the money over the phone which I was not happy about as it was only meant to be an £500 DEPOSIT but they took it all there and then without my permission.

I arranged the pick up travelled overnight from Aberdeen got there around 10 am the RX3OO was ready got the keys and drove away into the sunset well towards the A66, stopped at Penrith and discovered the first fault the slipping foot operated parking brake got back up to Aberdeen took out the warranty book and discovered no service book and the 3 month warranty was an AA 3 star which means it covers almost nothing at all!

I spoke to the dealership the next day to be told the car was so cheap they could not provide the said lexus warranty as it costs them to much to provide it, this is an cop out as there are many Lexus dealers providing warranties at this price point throgh out the UK Lexus Network.

I then asked Lexus GB why they were letting Dealers use their website to advertise APPROVED PREOWNED Lexus Cars when they know full well they are to be offered in some cases as an NON APPROVED Lexus Car.

Lexus GB denied this was the case tro start with then confirmed the said dealership had removed several cars from the Lexus GB website that day as they were in their view miss-leading their adverts to perspective buyers and warned about do it again.

Over the next few days I rang almost all UK Lexus dealers to discover this miss selling practice was been taking place in other dealerships in the Network, I was then told by Lexus Mrs Wellor was in charge of my case file, she claimed she and Lexus knew nothing about internet selling or its rules, what? Lexus GB has an website that advertises for their dealerships stock promisses that all cars under their warranties will come with this, that and everything covered and not know a thing about about the internet is quite shocking.

I don't blame the dealership I blame Lexus GB for this total confusion, there is no leadership some dealers think its up to them or not to offer the full warranty whether it is placed on the official website or not, what an sham.

Then Lexus GB came up with the master plan Teesside should offer a full refund this way Lexus GB does not need to honour the warranty and Teesside satisfies them and consumer direct/trading standards as doing what they can to address this big problem and as other members have said on this thread Lexus GB could not give a stuff about us customers its all about making lots of dosh and stuff anything else.

Lexus GB staff talks down to everyone and if you dare to have a go you will find yourself at the hands of Mrs Wellor=god help you....lol

My car is now back at the dealers and they have returned my trade-in car fully cleaned (which was no mean feat) an a new MOT thank you Teesside Lexus.

Like I said I don't blame the dealer for this but they did supply the car with 2 main faults broken parking brake and ignition barrel where the key came out in position 1...lol

There was also 6 faults cleared by the Excellent Aberdeen Lexus who examined the car twice on instructions from Lexus GB

of which 2 of these so called cleared faults the o2 sensor as many have reported on this ace forum and an miss fire problem but nothing much I should worry about, ok that got my attention so any RX300 can run like crap go into an Lexus service centre for 5 mins and suddenly the car is like new again but they did say "they will come on again thats for sure" was enough for me!

Like I said at the start I will buy another RX300 as they are great cars to drive but I wont be using an official Lexus dealer as there is now very little point other than getting a full warranty if your lucky. :unsure:

For the sake of others the website I was going to build is now up and above Lexus for most terms regarding the issues above to warn others that things are not as black and white as Lexus would have you think!

One final thought of Lexus GB they think that because I bought the car for just £5000 and it was on an 51 plate somehow this excludes the dealers from handing out full warranties well here is something they are not thinking about, when so few people are buying cars period any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and if they think they are right then why have they not stopped their dealers from offering such cars on their official APPROVED PREOWNED website, just ask yourself that question guys?

Kind regards,

Bunter.

An interesting read. Did you get compemsated for your time, trouble and inconvenience?

You are not the first to find the warranty wasn't what it was advertised as, nor was the car and that the service book was missing with a Lexus APPROVED PREOWNED car from a Lexus dealer :(

Good luck in finding your next one and maybe your experience will lead you you take out your own warranty.

An interesting read. Did you get compemsated for your time, trouble and inconvenience?

You are not the first to find the warranty wasn't what it was advertised as, nor was the car and that the service book was missing with a Lexus APPROVED PREOWNED car from a Lexus dealer :(

Good luck in finding your next one and maybe your experience will lead you you take out your own warranty.

Thanks Steve for your comments, no I was not given anything including the refund of monies yet...lol but its done with an credit card so no worries there mate.

It strikes me as strange as through out this process Lexus GB was fully aware of this practice (so says the many dealers in the network) so much so many in the Lexus Network spoke openly of asking LEXUS to reduce the cost of the warranties charged by Lexus GB over the last 6 weeks.

It came to my attention only a few days ago that Lexus ignored the dealers request and put up the cost by 10%+ which means my new approved preowned information website may get much more traffic than it gets at pressent and I may have to open the .com version to allow for all the readers letters to have their say.

I am indeed looking to replace the RX300 mk1/2 its a great designed car and great drive although very thirsty but its just a pity Lexus GB customer services were not up to the task and that has really surprised me but it looks like it never surprised you Steve.

I have learned my leason the hard way guys.

Merry xmas everyone!

Kind regards,

B.

Thanks Steve for your comments, no I was not given anything including the refund of monies yet...lol but its done with an credit card so no worries there mate.

It strikes me as strange as through out this process Lexus GB was fully aware of this practice (so says the many dealers in the network) so much so many in the Lexus Network spoke openly of asking LEXUS to reduce the cost of the warranties charged by Lexus GB over the last 6 weeks.

It came to my attention only a few days ago that Lexus ignored the dealers request and put up the cost by 10%+ which means my new approved preowned information website may get much more traffic than it gets at pressent and I may have to open the .com version to allow for all the readers letters to have their say.

I am indeed looking to replace the RX300 mk1/2 its a great designed car and great drive although very thirsty but its just a pity Lexus GB customer services were not up to the task and that has really surprised me but it looks like it never surprised you Steve.

I have learned my leason the hard way guys.

Merry xmas everyone!

Kind regards,

B.

Sent you a pm on Teesside!

I take it this is your website ?

http://www.approvedpreowned.co.uk/

It didn't suprise me Bunter as I have been there, read the book, watched the video, got the T-shirt and now seen the website but with a new Lexus car not a pre-owned. Mine was eventually rejected successfully by myself and I received a brand new replacement plus costs.

I've just looked at your website and I am suprised you are carrying a Lexus Teeside advert when they, unquestionable, were involved in shafting you. This takes most of the credibility away from your site IMHO, and I think somebody findng your site from, say, google may well see all the adverts and not read the message.

Are all you websites that difficult to read and find what you want? I expected the headings to look better and work as a link. How would I know? Well I test websites for a living :)

It didn't suprise me Bunter as I have been there, read the book, watched the video, got the T-shirt and now seen the website but with a new Lexus car not a pre-owned. Mine was eventually rejected successfully by myself and I received a brand new replacement plus costs.

I've just looked at your website and I am suprised you are carrying a Lexus Teeside advert when they, unquestionable, were involved in shafting you. This takes most of the credibility away from your site IMHO, and I think somebody findng your site from, say, google may well see all the adverts and not read the message.

Are all you websites that difficult to read and find what you want? I expected the headings to look better and work as a link. How would I know? Well I test websites for a living :)

Hello Steve,

You have a good point about the adverts I will try and filter that bad ones out m8 :D

As you can see if the blind can read the site as it passes all validation markups including XHTML, CSS 2.1 and Federal Standards 508 then anyone can read it.

As you must be aware Steve, SEO guys by pass black text on white backgrounds everytime...lol

If admin would like any SEO help you only need ask as this is what forums are all about helping each other?

Best Regards,

B.

And if any member wishes me to add anything to it just let me know guys.

Hello Steve,

You have a good point about the adverts I will try and filter that bad ones out m8 :D

As you can see if the blind can read the site as it passes all validation markups including XHTML, CSS 2.1 and Federal Standards 508 then anyone can read it.

As you must be aware Steve, SEO guys by pass black text on white backgrounds everytime...lol

If admin would like any SEO help you only need ask as this is what forums are all about helping each other?

Best Regards,

B.

And if any member wishes me to add anything to it just let me know guys.

I think it might be a good idea for you to get a proofreader for your website as it would probably appear more credible without the various spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. Whilst these things don't really matter on a forum I think that on a website they really are fairly important. Also, I hope you got permission from the people who had participated in chat/discussion in forums before including links to the various topics.

I hope you got permission from the people who had participated in chat/discussion in forums before including links to the various topics.

Hello Dave, there are many reasons why websites are built in such away and the english lingo is perfect for putting up any form that any one with an basic understanding of english can easily understand it.

As far as asking ones permission for links for what is an open information website it simply does not apply for instance this site has no Copyright notice nor Disclaimers or even Privacy Policies which means its open to anything on the web period, the only ones that can object to these links are Lexus or its network dealers who simply wish to keep others in the dark about such things!

I own very large forums all are larger than this one, even if they are for members only its impossible to stop linking although some pages may not link due to you having to sign in as an member, this website is an open forum and open to bots which means any content on this forum can be read, copied or linked, its just the way of the world wide web m8, sorry!

Copyright is very important for any site if admin needs advice on this we will freely help you?

Regards,

B.

I wasn't actually discussing copyright B, more common courtesy.

I am still surprised that with all the very large websites and forums which you own you don't try to make them look more professional by finding youself a decent proofreader (or whatever the equivalent is for websites)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links