Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Plates And Insurance

i just got a new plate * F3 PHL * i decided on this so i havent got to illegally space.

how do i let my insurance know? is it just a phone call, and does it put my premium up?

Phone them. Premium should not really be increased. Don't know what happens regarding changing your tax disc though. Plenty on here with these plates who can tell you.

So much for the recession, there has been no downturn in sales of these plates.

well the company im using is sorting out all the tax discs and the log book and mot so im happy with that.

as for the plate itself, i only see it as an investment, im probably gonna keep it for years to come, and plates are only ever going to increase in value.

well the company im using is sorting out all the tax discs and the log book and mot so im happy with that.

as for the plate itself, i only see it as an investment, im probably gonna keep it for years to come, and plates are only ever going to increase in value.

Can't really see them depreciating long term.

Didn't realise that you had bought via a company not direct from DVLA, so at least the changes to your documentation poses no worries for you.

see thats i went for this option, i did want ( C17RK P) even thats not the best but if i got done for it id have to have

(C17 RKP) lol dont look like anything! and when im old and past driving i'll sell my plate for a nice tidy sum lol

Can't really see them depreciating long term.

Didn't realise that you had bought via a company not direct from DVLA, so at least the changes to your documentation poses no worries for you.

yeh there are quite a few companys that do them, most are scam artists tho, the good thing about DVLA is the VAT and the Assignment fee are included in the price you see online so nothing else to pay, most other companys add this on at the end which usually works our a couple of hundred more!!

if you ever browse a company and see a plate you like, always go back to the dvla website and search there for the same plate, i pretty much guarantee it will be cheaper.

only reason i've chose another company is because they offered a finance option, only a tad more expensive

dvla usually deal direct with you.

They will send new tax disc and an envelope for you to return the old tax disc

Log book (v5) you have to send away or can do by going to local dvla office

Don't forget about your mot too (if applicable)

Insurance- Should not make any difference as it's not affecting the value of your car- You are simply given permission to use the plate on that car and insurance wouldn't pay for a reg as it can't be stolen as such. As others said, you may be hit for an admin fee - but many don't

Make sure when you inform the insurance people you tell them in the event of the car being a total loss you wish to retain the plate, otherwise if it’s a loss and you sign to except the payout the plate is there’s.

If you request it to remain yours 12 month after the loss you can apply to the DVLA for the retention certificate again they are thinking of bringing this down to 6 months

Ade

You say you've just bought the plate but have you had the plate assigned to your car ?

no not yet, i have to send my mot, v5 and photocopy of tax disc to the company first, then wait for them to send me the new tax disc through, then i can put it on car

i looked at f11 but i liked the less digits option. as for it still being for sale, it says on the site that because of the vast amount of plates they dont update eachtime one is sold, its done in bulk on a regular basis.

Im getting some plates made up and the side badge is going to say lexus, you reckon the coppers are that anal that they will pull me on it?

All depends the copper i suppose mate, but you have less chance of getting pulled if your numbers is spaced correctly, i think you'll be fine mate, unlike myself, NO spaces T2MYY, plates came yesterday, too cold to put them on today though, i'll get them on tomorrow.

IMO a private plate sets the car off, and also, in my case, when the car's in really good conition, it hides its true age ( 8 years ) your looks the biz mate, enjoy :D

My last one just screwed off, screwed on, this one i'm going to just stick them on,

when buying your plates, you will get the option of buying a fixing kit, about £2, in the kit you get 4 x sticky pads, 4 x screws, 2 x white, 2 x black & 2 x yellow screw cover caps,

I'll get more sticky pads and attach them that way, much easier and sometimes it's difficult to match the holes in the plates to the holes in the car.

Hope this helps Phil :D