Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brand New Is200 Or Is250 - Which One!?

japthree

If you won a competition and had the choice of a top spec IS200 (with all the gadgets in 2005 before production ceased to make way for the IS250) or a similar spec of IS250 (as all the gadgets in an IS250 would make the comparison unfair due to more technology available!) - which one would you choose?

Basically, for you, do you prefer the IS200 over the IS250 and in what ways?

I think the IS200 is looking dated, now, after 9 years on the roads but somehow the IS250 doesn't instantly grab me for some unknown reason......

I've only had a 250 for a day whilst my sportcross was in for TLC, but when I was back in my car, it just seemed more agile, younger and more fun to drive even as an auto. The 250 was 'nice' in a motorway/businessman/gizmo sort of way....but not for me...just a slight adjustment then....a brand new 300 please !

I was trying to think of any reasons to go back to a IS200 and I'm afraid I can't! Give me the smoothness, refinement, comfort and performance of the IS250 any day. That said, I am an old fart and have got a pipe and slippers on my Christmas list.

I was trying to think of any reasons to go back to a IS200 and I'm afraid I can't! Give me the smoothness, refinement, comfort and performance of the IS250 any day. That said, I am an old fart and have got a pipe and slippers on my Christmas list.

That should have read "Give me the smoothness, refinement, comfort, ECONOMY and performance of the IS250 any day".

I used to think the IS200 was more agile, the steering is definitely sharper, but the IS250 is far more balanced. Didn't realise it early on, but the more I kept getting courtesy cars, and the more I, let's just say "pushed" them, you start to realise that the IS250 handles far better than the IS200.

So while I'm not ready to change my IS200 just yet, if I had neither and was given the choice for free, it would have to be the IS250. Although ultimately the car I'd want would be an IS350 :winky:

Umm, having owned a 2005 IS200 and nearly bought a new IS250, I would have to say the 250 without hesitation. The old IS I could never help feeling was just a Toyota with the badges taken off and Lexus ones applied. I know the 250 is much of the same but I think it has more identity than the 200 and it is undoubtedly better both safety wise and mechanically.

It's funny to hear people saying how the IS200 is nowhere near as refined as the new IS, flippin eck the new IS must be as quiet as a library.

I've only had my IS200 a few months and am blown away by the refinement compared to my previous cars!

One thing I would say to compare the two is the interior - I was quite surprised when I saw the new IS interior, it's nice but it's quite bland compared to the older IS. But with the older IS it was a bit love/hate so I could see why they did that.

To be honest, i'm not a massive fan of the new IS. I remember seeing the first gen IS when i was at school. My friends brother had one brand new, i would have been about 12/13 at the time in 99 and loved the looks and always wanted to own one.

IMO it was so different to other cars on the road at the time and i suppose it became a style icon. Everyone knows 'Lexus lights'. The new IS seems in my opinion seems very 'samey' to all the other competitors and doesn't have the wow factor, like the first gen IS did. This is only my opinion mind you....

I still look at my IS and love the way it looks and stands, especially when its clean and has had the old polish and wax treatment. I'll be sad to see mine go next week!

But I'm an old fart too!.....must say though (reminded by your avatar) I was really jealous of that mpg readout that was staring at me all the time!!!

To be honest, i'm not a massive fan of the new IS. I remember seeing the first gen IS when i was at school. My friends brother had one brand new, i would have been about 12/13 at the time in 99 and loved the looks and always wanted to own one.

IMO it was so different to other cars on the road at the time and i suppose it became a style icon. Everyone knows 'Lexus lights'. The new IS seems in my opinion seems very 'samey' to all the other competitors and doesn't have the wow factor, like the first gen IS did. This is only my opinion mind you....

I still look at my IS and love the way it looks and stands, especially when its clean and has had the old polish and wax treatment. I'll be sad to see mine go next week!

It'll be going to a good home though, trust me :winky:

I have an odd affliction where no car appeals to me until it's been superceded by the newer model. The new IS does nothing for me yet, the 350Z is only just beginning to grow on me, and I'd probably still choose an R32 Skyline GTR over any of the newer versions. That might just be me though :blush:

a little off topic but I bought my 300 sportcross for 4 reasons - had to be over 200bhp, had to be rear wheel drive, had to be 'Japanese' and had to be 'rare'... I'm not sure it's replacement can match these criteria - but in reality I haven't checked cos I'm still in love with the car I have, and £10k is always the limit of my spend.

Good luck

jack

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links