Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buzzing Noise From Engine Bay.. Toyota Aristo 1991

WODJ

Hi All..

I have a 1991 Toyota Aristo..

I have a buzzing noise coming from the engine bay that i can here from inside the cabin.

The part in question that making the buzzing noise is at the top left handside of the engine bay, right up near the bulkhead. The part has a rubber covering over it and is cylinder shaped. When you take the rubber cover off underneath is a gold colour cylinder that seems to be some sort of motor. It buzzes for a few seconds then stops for approx 1 second. It continuosly does this ? It seems to be connected in some way to the braking system, because if i push my foot down on the brake pedal and leave it there, i can feel the pedal pulsing under my foot in time with the motor that is buzzing..

Any help would be much appreciated ..

Cheers

WODJ :)

The noise is the pump which pressurises a nitrogen-filled accumulator with brake fluid.

When you brake the pressure in the accumulator is used up.

Once the pressure drops far enough, the pump runs to re-pressurize the accumulator.

If the buzzing is loud, it may be because the pump's rubber mounts need replacing.

If the pump operates more than once every four or five applications of the brake, the accumulator may need replacing.

Soarer Central -- Removing/Recharging the TRC Nitrogen Accumulator

Soarer World -- TRC Accumulator 1

Soarer World -- TRC Accumulator 2

Planet Soarer -- Common problem #9 - Brake discs, fluid bleed, and booster accumulator

Planet Soarer -- Bleeding the TRC master cylinder

The noise is the pump which pressurises a nitrogen-filled accumulator with brake fluid.

Once the pressure drops far enough, the pump runs to re-pressurize the accumulator.

If the buzzing is loud, it may be because the pump's rubber mounts need replacing.

If the pump operates more than once every four or five applications of the brake, the accumulator may need replacing.

Planet Soarer -- Common problem #9 - Brake discs, fluid bleed, and booster accumulator

Thats an excellent reply :) Thanks very much.

From reding thru, it sounds like the accumalator knackered then.. As the pump is working nearly constantly without me even touching the brake pedal..

It's just buzzing at 1 second intervals... If i push and hold my foot on the brake pedal it then buzzys constantly for around 8-10 seconds then returns to the 1 second intervals, and i can feel it pulsing thru the brake pedal ...

Does anyone know if he accumalator for a GS300 will fit ?

Cheers

WODJ

Thats an excellent reply :) Thanks very much.

From reding thru, it sounds like the accumalator knackered then.. As the pump is working nearly constantly without me even touching the brake pedal..

It's just buzzing at 1 second intervals... If i push and hold my foot on the brake pedal it then buzzys constantly for around 8-10 seconds then returns to the 1 second intervals, and i can feel it pulsing thru the brake pedal ...

Does anyone know if he accumalator for a GS300 will fit ?

Cheers

WODJ

If its a turbo aristo no if its a n/a aristo yes its the same. If you have a nitrogen backed system though you must have the TT

The Mk2 GS has a similar system, but the part number for the accumulator is different:

1992 Aristo JZS147 (TT) ACCUMULATOR ASSY, BRAKE BOOSTER 47950-24020

1998 GS300 JZS160 ACCUMULATOR ASSY, BRAKE BOOSTER 47950-30010

The accumulator for a 91-96 Soarer (TT or V8 with traction control) is the same as the Aristo part.

Part Numbers

• 5 weeks later...
The Mk2 GS has a similar system, but the part number for the accumulator is different:

1992 Aristo JZS147 (TT) ACCUMULATOR ASSY, BRAKE BOOSTER 47950-24020

1998 GS300 JZS160 ACCUMULATOR ASSY, BRAKE BOOSTER 47950-30010

The accumulator for a 91-96 Soarer (TT or V8 with traction control) is the same as the Aristo part.

Part Numbers

Thats excellent news ..

Cheers

WODJ