Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ukpc Scumbags!

parked outside work ON A SUNDAY, and the scummers ticketed me!

now i am upset because of why! I can explain properly without showing you but i will post a picture later to show.

where were park is about a 100 metre stip just for parking and to my knowledge there are no designated bays. APPARENTLY the 3 very faint bricks in the floor constitute a line! Im afraid not mr man!!! if its wet its impossible to tell the difference, its near impossible in the dry, surely they cannot hold me to this fine! 6 years and never had a problem! last 3 days - 4 people out of 12 been ticketed for same reason!!!

arrrgh im fuming!! what to do??

so far its just a ticket saying i will get a letter in the post, but it says if i dont pay it will be passed to a debt collection agency, even though i dont have to pay wont that effect my credability rating?

so far its just a ticket saying i will get a letter in the post, but it says if i dont pay it will be passed to a debt collection agency, even though i dont have to pay wont that effect my credability rating?

Pretty sure that is just their tactic to scare you into paying.

Have a look at this website

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that basically this stuff comes under private contract law. So they can only try and sue you for "reasonable" damages. If you were parked slightly over a line, and there weren't other cars about anyway, then it's not "reasonable" for you to have to pay anything.

Even if you, say, forgot to get a ticket, they could only claim what was "reasonable" from you (e.g. a few quid), and not, say, £50 or £100.

There's some useful advice on that link.

Further to that, I think that this sort of thing covers your case :

Alternatively if you park incorrectly and use two bays I would suggest that in all reality the most that could be said to be valid damages is the value of the spaces you have used (so if you obscure a second space then double the cost of your parking).

So all they can legally demand from you is something like the cost of an extra bay if you were parked theoretically taking up two bays.

nah im not paying it, you'll see what i mean when i put the photo up, its ridiculous! if i meet the bloke that stuck it on my car ill ram the ticket were the sun dont shine! just another way of stealing in my opinion

nah im not paying it, you'll see what i mean when i put the photo up, its ridiculous! if i meet the bloke that stuck it on my car ill ram the ticket were the sun dont shine! just another way of stealing in my opinion

I do not know what the position is with these private firms but I understand that if road markings are faint then you do have case for contesting it with the local authority. The thinking is that the country is covered with redundant markings which have just been left to fade away.

its not even a pay and display, its there for my work, i'll be interested to see what they say when i ask what there damages are!

If we are talking about contract law, the contract would be a useful place to start. What does it say?

contract says park in the designated bays. by not doing that i have breached the contract, the court would rule i have to pay reasonable damages for breaking a contract. as there was no payment required anyway and it was a sunday so dead, there are no damages incurred.

contract says park in the designated bays. by not doing that i have breached the contract, the court would rule i have to pay reasonable damages for breaking a contract. as there was no payment required anyway and it was a sunday so dead, there are no damages incurred.

Exactly. The absolute worst is to make you pay for the price of two bays. As you say given it was Sunday it would even be hard to prove this was reasonable. There is absolutely nothing they can do except make empty threats, and if they do carry on doing so then I would report them to the police.

its not even a pay and display, its there for my work, i'll be interested to see what they say when i ask what there damages are!

Have you mentioned this to your boss? what does he know about the company?

:offtopic: but.

Contract law is complex, an offer (implicit or implied) is made by the buyer, a counter offer can then be made by the seller, if the seller's counter offer is accepted the sellers terms hold force as being the last "offer" on the table at the time of "contract".

e.g the buyer says "I want a green car", seller says "I have a red one" before the deal is done, the buyer then goes ahead. The buyer has no right to go back after buying the car and say "I wanted a green one so give me my money back"

You get suppliers who send out a "Confirmation of Order" with their T's & C's of supply printed in small print on the back. I used to have a standard letter the went back saying "Thank you for your confirmation blah blah your terms of sale are wholly unacceptable, this order was placed on our standard terms of supply" End of, as our terms were the last offer and I never had one supplier that responded.

So back on topic: Damages for a "breach of contract" can have two forms, direct loss where the injured party has to prove the level of loss, and "Liquidated and Ascertained Damages" (LAD's), LAD's are agreed by both parties prior to entering a contract hence the ascertained bit. Neither form of damages can place the "injured party" in a better position than they would have been in if the contract had not been breached. The difference is where the onus of proof lies, with LAD's it is with the party in breach to prove the damages are punitive.

The display on the car park notice of the consequences of failing to comply with the "terms" would imply your acceptance of (LAD's) when you parked, however the damages are punitive.

So I would write a letter offering to pay the (fine) damages in full and registering your intention to pursue the matter through the Courts to have the (fine) damages reduced to a level commensurate with the loss suffered. You will of course ask the Court to award you any reasonable costs incurred in the process. Add on that you estimate the level of loss as £1 and send a cheque for that amount "in full and final settlement". That will make it difficult for them to take it further as you don't dispute any breach of an implied contract only the level of damages that should apply.

Also take a photocopy of the cheque and watch out for it going through your account, if it does they have accepted your offer in settlement.

:offtopic: but.

Contract law is complex, an offer (implicit or implied) is made by the buyer, a counter offer can then be made by the seller, if the seller's counter offer is accepted the sellers terms hold force as being the last "offer" on the table at the time of "contract".

e.g the buyer says "I want a green car", seller says "I have a red one" before the deal is done, the buyer then goes ahead. The buyer has no right to go back after buying the car and say "I wanted a green one so give me my money back"

You get suppliers who send out a "Confirmation of Order" with their T's & C's of supply printed in small print on the back. I used to have a standard letter the went back saying "Thank you for your confirmation blah blah your terms of sale are wholly unacceptable, this order was placed on our standard terms of supply" End of, as our terms were the last offer and I never had one supplier that responded.

So back on topic: Damages for a "breach of contract" can have two forms, direct loss where the injured party has to prove the level of loss, and "Liquidated and Ascertained Damages" (LAD's), LAD's are agreed by both parties prior to entering a contract hence the ascertained bit. Neither form of damages can place the "injured party" in a better position than they would have been in if the contract had not been breached. The difference is where the onus of proof lies, with LAD's it is with the party in breach to prove the damages are punitive.

The display on the car park notice of the consequences of failing to comply with the "terms" would imply your acceptance of (LAD's) when you parked, however the damages are punitive.

So I would write a letter offering to pay the (fine) damages in full and registering your intention to pursue the matter through the Courts to have the (fine) damages reduced to a level commensurate with the loss suffered. You will of course ask the Court to award you any reasonable costs incurred in the process. Add on that you estimate the level of loss as £1 and send a cheque for that amount "in full and final settlement". That will make it difficult for them to take it further as you don't dispute any breach of an implied contract only the level of damages that should apply.

Also take a photocopy of the cheque and watch out for it going through your account, if it does they have accepted your offer in settlement.

thanks for that post, very informative, however even if i dont get them on the terms of the contract, have u seen the photo? i challenge them to prove thaa parking bay not just a pretty patter in the brickwork