Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Sky+ Customer

shake

We got Sky+ today!!!

YAY!!!!

well you'd think. Got home from work and i knew it was a bit fuzzy as i had a text during the day. The tech guy said for me to have a play with the wires as he wasn't sure what was causing it. i have 30days to call them to sort it for free, however i'd prefer to sort it as i cant take a day off work.

BBC 1 & 2 is very fuzzy(however i can use the tv digi-tuner for crystal clear tv), the other channels are ok, but they are noticeably soft/fuzzy. we have a 37" Toshiba LCD tele and i've had a play with everything i can think of but it wont sort it...

does anyone else have the same problem? i was expecting very clear images!

thanks!

What quality is your scart? Are all of the 16 pins present.

And

From what distance are you viewing the TV from, these modern LCD/Plasmas need to be viewed from a minimum distance of 6-8 feet. Too close and the picture is crap.

given you can get good Piccie with the non sky box it doesn't sound like anything to do with your tv or vision distance.

Swap the scarts over between the 2 and see if it reverses the problem.

If it doesn't then either poor installation (alignment) or faulty lnb / cabling.

Probably the former.

Other thing is weather can affect sat and give bad reception so also see if any better when sky clear- but could also indicate poor alignment.

Does the picture pixellate at any time or freeze? Or just not very clear?

Was going to also mention alignment.

If you are thinking it cant be (as the other pics are fine) just watch watchdog on BBCi from last night (Mon Dec 1st)......they had a number of ppl who could not watch Satanta, turned out it was the dish.

I'm going to bet it is interference from your video or other AV device - try witching everything else off and try the Sky box. I have had in the past a situation where if the VCR was 'on' it would cause interference with certain channels on Sky - like C5. Might be worth a try?

While you are within your first 30 days, you have Sky over the barrel. So put your foot down and demand a fix from them or threaten to cancel. That will get them moving! But as with all electrical devices, you have a full 12 months warranty from them.

Lastly, you may be unlucky enough to have the crappy Amstrad Sky+ box - and this will be the root of many headaches and problems for you forever more - insist that they change it for a PACE or Thomson.

While you are within your first 30 days, you have Sky over the barrel. So put your foot down and demand a fix from them or threaten to cancel. That will get them moving! But as with all electrical devices, you have a full 12 months warranty from them.

Lastly, you may be unlucky enough to have the crappy Amstrad Sky+ box - and this will be the root of many headaches and problems for you forever more - insist that they change it for a PACE or Thomson.

Have you ever dealt with Sky customer service? They couldnt give a flying fish about anything ....they'll just say ok and let you cancel.....Which is absolutely amazing considering the efforts they make in attracting new customers....

Not if you're within your FIRST 30 days - they will do everything possible to keep you. I know once you go over that period then they really couldn't care - but still you have much stronger rights if any fault occurs within the first 12 months.

Sounds like something is faulty, I'd just get them to come out and start replacing parts until it starts working properly - no point wasting your own time trying to fix it if they just installed it.

Having said that, I'm always incredibly surprised at how poor the quality of Sky TV is compared to Cable - Sky's got far more choice, but I think if I ever switched it would have to be Sky HD as standard picture quality really isn't good enough.........

thanks for all the replies! been so busy only just got to read them.

the sky box has normal aerial and dish cables going into it. from there it scarts straight to the tv and one to dvd recorder. the sky box is set to RGB. i think its down to signal strength, will have to give it a test if i can get the remote off the family!!!! :duh:

Thing is with digital TV signals they don't really get fuzzy from signal problems, you either get a perfect picture or none at all. The only real interference or signal problems you'll see will come across as the picture stuttering.

If the picture is smooth and not stuttering, then the picture problems are more likely to do with cables or equipment rather than reception of the dish.