Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow - Anyone Have Fun This Morning In It?

Anees

This thread comes up every year when we have some snow, so why break a tradition? :D

Anyone stuck or have problems?

I thought the massive downpour of snow was just on my road and assumed the main roads would all be clear. WRONG. Anyway I set off, got into the car (BMW) and promptly got stuck about 5 inches off the drive. LOL Decided it wouldn't be a good idea to take the car to work (with so much low down torque, even the slightest touch of the accelerator pedal is not good in the snow!) After about 30 mins of trying to get the car back on the drive; my mum rang me to say that the train she was supposed to be catching for work today is cancelled and I could take her RX300 :yahoo:

Without the 4X4 I had no chance of getting into work this morning, it is on a steep hill and all roads are ungritted. I felt like a proper smug :tsktsk: driving past everyone and around all the cars that had just parked up and given up. I felt sorry for this BMW driving lady that held up alot of people on the hill because everytime she applied a little bit of power the car just went sidewards - I knew how she felt; my IS200 was terrible in the snow!

Anyway got to work any only 5 people in and the carpark is virtually empty!

Hope it rains overnight - it won't be much 'fun' in the rwd BMW tomorrow. :whistling:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7760126.stm

I'm in uni in bolton now and omg has it been bad over here...I travel from manchester to bolton for uni and well manchester werent that bad I thought compared to bolton. Traffic was bad in manchester but a lot worse in bolton with little signs of any gritting being done. Roads are a real mess over here n apparently they had a few inches of snow only...seems a lot more. Glad I aint got the lexus on the road in this weather seeing as its my first RWD car I woulda had some issues I think lol. Funny thing is that I thought uni was shut when I got here...never seen it this dead ever...all the student car parks are empty when they're normally rammed and even the staff car parks are empty lol

Glad I aint got the lexus on the road in this weather seeing as its my first RWD car I woulda had some issues I think lol.

When I started driving RWD was the norm. Remember putting couple of bags of sand in the boot over rear axles in really bad snow. I much prefer RWD even in ice/snow.

To be honest, these days (unless in Scotland I'd assume?) only last a couple of days and then its back to normal. Every year the answer is to fit proper winter tyres but for use in only a couple of days a year for many it is not worth the expense. :)

Just got the following email from my sister:

I heard the BMW turbo blew all the snow away and cleared the road and the Lexus/Aristo decided to fly instead of use the road it was too good for the road being a rear wheel drive.

So again both let you down and you had to borrow a car!!!!!

:shutit: Unfortunetly she is right................ :tomato:

Glad I aint got the lexus on the road in this weather seeing as its my first RWD car I woulda had some issues I think lol.

When I started driving RWD was the norm. Remember putting couple of bags of sand in the boot over rear axles in really bad snow. I much prefer RWD even in ice/snow.

I'm gonna have an install in the car when I put it on the road so hopefully that'll put enough extra weight over the rear axle to help the rear not slipping about ;)

Just got the following email from my sister:
I heard the BMW turbo blew all the snow away and cleared the road and the Lexus/Aristo decided to fly instead of use the road it was too good for the road being a rear wheel drive.

So again both let you down and you had to borrow a car!!!!!

:shutit: Unfortunetly she is right................ :tomato:

I take it she got to work in the Mini ok then :question:

Steve had a turbo mini in the other day mate, not supercharged as i 1st thought, but had small turbo fitted, from new to :o full glass sunroof, leather and sat/nav, only thing was it was..............................Gold colour :sick:

Yep, she got in fine But she just has to go straight on the M60 where towards Stockport it was pretty clear.

My smugness of being in a 4x4 for the day is over. Was driving to another appointment of mine and went down this road full of black ice. I was behind old Astra Estate and he braked sharply. The car just had no grip and slide straight into the back of him. Luckily he is a decent chap. He had to brake to avoid child running across the road (school closes due to the snow). He has a broken tail light and my mums car has a slight scuff on the front bumper. I told him I would pay for a new tail light and he seemed happy with that. I am getting my mums cars front bumper sorted in the summer anyway (along with front parking sensors! :innocent:) so not too fussed about the scuff.

i'd say you got quite lucky there then could've been a lot worse.

Thankfully it was at about 10mph! :blush: More of a slow motion blur.

ur mum aint gonna be too happy that u've damaged her car tho is she ;) glad the damage aint too bad mate

Its barely noticeable. I bet you if I dont say anything she won't even notice! :lol: Seriously however; I'll be paying for it anyway, so she won't be too concerned. A job for Nads@Auto-Serve I think........... :whistling:

Yep, she got in fine But she just has to go straight on the M60 where towards Stockport it was pretty clear.

My smugness of being in a 4x4 for the day is over. Was driving to another appointment of mine and went down this road full of black ice. I was behind old Astra Estate and he braked sharply. The car just had no grip and slide straight into the back of him. Luckily he is a decent chap. He had to brake to avoid child running across the road (school closes due to the snow). He has a broken tail light and my mums car has a slight scuff on the front bumper. I told him I would pay for a new tail light and he seemed happy with that. I am getting my mums cars front bumper sorted in the summer anyway (along with front parking sensors! :innocent:) so not too fussed about the scuff.

LOL You just dont know how to drive a 4x4 :winky: you want to borrow mine :question:

Sorry, but im only seeing the funny side of this :tomato:

LOL You just dont know how to drive a 4x4 :winky: you want to borrow mine :question:

Me too! I can laugh at myself, so I find it funny too! :lol: (teaches me for being a smug git!) Its nothing to do with not being able to drive a 4x4, when you hit black ice with zero grip not alot you can do unfortunetly. :blush:

Still if Mr Hill can crash at 3mph in ice, then we all can.................. ;) (Mr Hill is Glossops answer to the Stig for those that don't know)

i was gritting roads on a grubby council estate because 3 of our busses got stuck on ice .

much fun.

So was your gritter followed by the road sweeping trucks 20 mins later?

Me too! I can laugh at myself, so I find it funny too! :lol: (teaches me for being a smug git!) Its nothing to do with not being able to drive a 4x4, when you hit black ice with zero grip not alot you can do unfortunetly. :blush:

Still if Mr Hill can crash at 3mph in ice, then we all can.................. ;) (Mr Hill is Glossops answer to the Stig for those that don't know)

Must be my turn next mate :whistling::crybaby:

[quote name='Gord' post='610672' date='Dec 2

Must be my turn next mate :whistling::crybaby:

Hopefully you are ok :crybaby: I think today is the worst day. Tomorrow its supposed to be foggy but no new snow and then Thursday its raining.