Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apologies In Advance

Parthiban

Sorry for starting another thread about phones, but the lively debate on here implies that it's a good place for advice............

Basically had a call a few days ago from Vodafone, which was dead on 9 months into my 12 month contract saying I was eligible for an early upgrade. Basically they either offered me no phone, and reduce my line rental to £12.50/month for 9 months and then £30 for the last 3, or if I wanted a phone, I could pretty much have anything for free on 18 month contract or £50 on a 12 month contract.

The phones I asked about were the SE X1 and the HTC Touch Pro as they're probably the only phones I'd go for right now. Anyway does this seem a good deal? Even paying £50 for the handset seems fine as I'm ending my current contract 3 months early (saving £90).

Just wondering that if they're offering this now, will they offer a lot more once my contract ends and I can easily go elsewhere.........

Waiting seems the sensible option, but as I've said many times I get bored of phones really quick so a new one is quite tempting :whistling:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What deals they offering to new customers at the mo?

I'd check that out and use as bargaining tool....Always push for more and you may just get ;)

What do you mean !!!! You haven't considered an Iphone!!!

Good luck and whatever you get please let us know and post a review

What do you mean !!!! You haven't considered an iPhone!!!

If I'm completely honest, part of the reason I'm unsure is that I've been seriously considering the Iphone! Part of it is due to the threads on here, and partly due to all the people I keep seeing on the tube playing with theirs and it looks so cool! Really starting to like Android as a platform too, but the G1 is still too hideous, and there's no way I'd switch to T-mobile anyway. Just can't help wondering whether there'll be a nicer android handset out soon.........

just checked and what they offered you seems a good deal if your line rental stays at 30 quid

Yep, that's what got me thinking, based on the deals on the market (even the cash/chequeback type ones) those phones for £30/month on a 12 month contract are a great deal, which makes me wonder if they'll offer me much more come the end of the contract...........I know for sure the phone will be completely free if I try again then, but not sure if they'll give me discounted line rental on top :unsure:

I considered an HTC Touch Pro on Vodaphone, some good deals at the moment for about £35-£45 a month

with big talktime allowances and free landline calls too.

Are those discounted line rental type deals? What sort of things have you found - I couldn't find anything particularly impressive so far.

I'm not a particularly heavy user, my £30 per month is for 500 mins, 100 texts and unlimited internet, and I barely ever go over that so reluctant to pay more than £30...........(unless the line rental is discounted on the tariffs you've mentioned and actually works out to less)

Also has anyone used an X1 yet? I'm slightly worried about reviews saying it's slow compared to the HTCs, and also that it doesn't have any extra "front end" than the panel screen, whereas the HTCs have quite a lot of extra bits making them more user friendly.

On the other hand the X1 is just so good to look at that it might be the better pick anyway..........

Just do it.

Then you will understand.

:)

I already understand to a certain extent, I see lots of people playing with phones on the tube, but the iPhone's the only one I really want every time I see people dragging their fingers across every which way and it responding effortlessly............I'm just worried that once that initial excitement wears off, the actual device features will let me down and get very frustrating.

Vodafone rang me the other day as well trying to win me back, havent been with them for a couple of years as well. I thought the touch pro u could only on there business side or have they brought it over ?

Either phone you've said i think you'd be happy with, now u just gotta start hagglin :D

Just do it.

Then you will understand.

:)

I already understand to a certain extent, I see lots of people playing with phones on the tube, but the iPhone's the only one I really want every time I see people dragging their fingers across every which way and it responding effortlessly............I'm just worried that once that initial excitement wears off, the actual device features will let me down and get very frustrating.

To be honest, it really depends on what your using if for. If your a fairly casual user i'd say go for the Iphone, but if you need a good camera etc, stay away! Having said that the camera isn't all that bad providing you have decent light.

For me personally, ive had mine since the new 3G came out and whilst the initial novelty has worn off, i still enjoy using it. I'm hooked on the game 'Enigmo' at the moment. I think the novelty of all phones wears off after a few months, but even so i still find (FOR ME), the Iphone to be a really capable phone.

Surely in order to get an Iphone you would have to wait another 3 months anyway though? Unless Vodafone are offering you an early release from contract (which seems unlikely...)

If you really wanted an Iphone, you'd have to wait another 2 months, then serve notice to VF and wait another month, then order up an Iphone on a new contract on O2. And faff around with number porting, but that's not that much of a hassle really.

i went for the iphone16gb in the end, purly cause of looks, i had a play of the other contender the Storm and wasnt overly impressed.

i was on vodaphone, have a month left, but have already gone ot o2 and ported my number.

o2 deal is 18mth 45 quid 1500 mins 500 text unlimited data.

deffo jailbreak the Iphone and theres loads of useful apps around

lol

*disbelief*

Come on. If Fargo got an Iphone then surely there is NO one apple can't reach out to!

I have had my Iphone for yonks. It's a mobile computer. The novelty doesn't wear off until you get bored of the Internet and email and new applications. It's a very useful tool.

Yes Enigmo is a GREAT Game. Had it on my Mac a few years ago. I Think it has been converted to Windows now too. Worth a Google.

Enigmo 2 is even better!

Vodafone rang me the other day as well trying to win me back, havent been with them for a couple of years as well. I thought the touch pro u could only on there business side or have they brought it over ?

Yep the touch pro is in their list of business phones, but they'll give you anything you ask for if it means you'll stay :)

It does seem they might be a bit desperate to hang on to people though by trying to make them sign a new contract without while still in one to make sure you can't go elsewhere..........that gives me all the more reason to hang on to the end of mine as even if I don't go elsewhere I'll probably be able to haggle a much better deal out of them :whistling:

To be honest, it really depends on what your using if for. If your a fairly casual user i'd say go for the iPhone, but if you need a good camera etc, stay away! Having said that the camera isn't all that bad providing you have decent light.

I don't need the camera, barely use it and the lack of MMS isn't a worry either. It's only the lack of A2DP and the price that put me off, but may still give it a go.........

Surely in order to get an iPhone you would have to wait another 3 months anyway though? Unless Vodafone are offering you an early release from contract (which seems unlikely...)

If you really wanted an iPhone, you'd have to wait another 2 months, then serve notice to VF and wait another month, then order up an iPhone on a new contract on O2. And faff around with number porting, but that's not that much of a hassle really.

Yep I'd be waiting till the end of the contract if getting an Iphone, it's not a hassle to port, simply wait till the last day of my contract, request the PAC and then order my new phone!

i went for the iphone16gb in the end, purly cause of looks, i had a play of the other contender the Storm and wasnt overly impressed.

i was on vodaphone, have a month left, but have already gone ot o2 and ported my number.

o2 deal is 18mth 45 quid 1500 mins 500 text unlimited data.

Haven't had a play yet, but reviews of the Storm haven't been great so far. How did you leave a month early? Did you pay the contract off?

Cheers for all the input :D

Parthiban: You're a bright chap, so I look forward to hearing your progress when you get your iPhone. :)

Why thank you :blush:

One thing I was wondering you may know the answer to, when is it likely that the next gen Iphone will come along?

Well there is only one man in the entire world that knows this for a fact - and it ain't me!

BUT I can give you my best guestimations based on apple product releases patterns of the past and industry whispers...

I would say not until October 09 - ready for the Christmas 09 buying season. But you will hear about it a few months before through carefully planned leaks in order to create the usual apple marketing frenzy, whereby apple uses the press and public to do all their marketing for them. :)

I think they will drop the prices of the existing model to FREE and release a new model at the previous price point. The new model will have all the cool stuff in it and will outsell the old one by many times.

I think this is what would happen if there wasn't a global economic crisis right now.

Under these new circumstances they MAY bring forward the price drop to around Easter time, but only if sales are tapering off. No sign yet.

I am less convinced now about the release of an Iphone nano for the time being as the Iphone itself is selling so well it's not like they need another version for some time yet. Sales/cost wise it is a good thing to minimise your product lines. Lower manufacturing costs, lower advertising costs, better public perception.

There is word of a 4GB version of the current phone being available v cheaply in the nearish term.

While it is nice to have larger memory sizes, it really isn't a big deal. You generally would plug your Iphone into your computer (preferably a Mac :) ) once a day to charge anyway, so at that time you can drag drop or autosync any files / apps to /from your Iphone that you require. A few GB of music and a film or two on your Iphone is plenty for one charge. I have an 8GB one but could easily make do with 4GB.

BUT if Iphone sales continue to grow then the new model, which is without doubt in development, will stay locked away until it is needed to stimulate sales.

Bottom line. Holding off for a new model in this case is a BAD idea.

Only other question is - what the hell am I doing up so early on a Saturday morning!? :eerrrmm:

Fargo: I don't appreciate the way you project your obvious fascination with men on to me by referring to me as Tygress. I am not that way. Try and keep your issues to yourself. It would be nice to see you put some effort in to your posts - with punctuation, grammar and capitalisation. You come across like an ASBO kid.

come come tygress, you know you want it, perhaps you are not comfortable with your own sexuality :winky: to be offended by a little wordplay.

you still didnt address my question, why the disbelief at me getting an Iphone.

as for ASBO kid...take a look at yourself sending threatening pm's to memebers...

until next time...me luv u lon tign........ppprrrrrrrr :wub:

:offtopic: :offtopic:

haha you have to try a little harder to offend me sunshine.

One little thing - you mention this non-existent PM AGAIN.

This is complete fabrication and will not have children's playground BS spoken about me - therefore you give me no option but to report your post to the mods.

I see on the back of one of my wifes mags that t-mobile are doing the g1 for free on £35/month contract with 700 mins, unlimited text and unlimited Internet.

Bargaining tool even if you don't fancy the g1. ;)