Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Poor 220d, Only Worth £9k

I traded up to my GS430 in May and it has taken a massive hit. Logically it doesn't really matter though. If I am keeping the car, then its "market value" is of no real importance. If I want to change my car then again its "market value" is not that important, as depreciation and prevailing market conditions will also have affected a replacement car.

Of course. Market value is important. Unless you have a crash.

Then, because your car is worth so much less, but the parts still cost ££££$$$$$££££ you are very likely to suffer a write off. Then the insurance company offers you current market value, which is trade. For a car with a V8, it means little money in todays values. Unless you can find a really cheap one to replace it with, which you may. This very thing happened to my Jaguar in early 1990's. I couldn't find a replacement for same money unless I went Auction.

Best thing to do is get GAP insurance policy if you do buy any car.

Dealer has just offered me a new 250SEL with MM (09) for £27000 (my car plus £16500) if I take the new one before Christmas. Mine is August 2006 IS220d SE with MM and 22000 miles. They are sooooo keen to do business, but it is stretching my budget.

I have said yes, but £14000 to swop. They are considering (but don't think so). Lets see what Santa brings.

I don't want a used one, as my Lexus has had rattles so new one must be facelifted car.

Heart says Lexus, Head says cheaper Audi. I'm stuck.

Of course. Market value is important. Unless you have a crash.

Then, because your car is worth so much less, but the parts still cost ££££$$$$$££££ you are very likely to suffer a write off. Then the insurance company offers you current market value, which is trade. For a car with a V8, it means little money in todays values. Unless you can find a really cheap one to replace it with, which you may. This very thing happened to my Jaguar in early 1990's. I couldn't find a replacement for same money unless I went Auction.

Best thing to do is get GAP insurance policy if you do buy any car.

Dealer has just offered me a new 250SEL with MM (09) for £27000 (my car plus £16500) if I take the new one before Christmas. Mine is August 2006 IS220d SE with MM and 22000 miles. They are sooooo keen to do business, but it is stretching my budget.

I have said yes, but £14000 to swop. They are considering (but don't think so). Lets see what Santa brings.

I don't want a used one, as my Lexus has had rattles so new one must be facelifted car.

Heart says Lexus, Head says cheaper Audi. I'm stuck.

Yes, GAP Insurance is something I always get. I get "Return to Invoice" so if my car is a total loss in the 3 years following purchase I get the FULL invoice price I paid, less whatever my car insurers pay me. Even any excess is covered. It cost me £112 for 3 years cover up to £10k.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links