Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoking Exhaust On Is200

I have a 2002 Lexus IS200 which seems to have lost its power - For a 153 BHP it is very slow...- with 115k and FSH - there is continuous smoke coming from the exhaust, it is misty white and is thicker when I press the accelerator.

I have had a full service with new filters, oil and plugs but hasn't solved anything. It is not losing any oil. It starts and drives fine but everytime I look in the rear view mirror, especially stationary, the smoke is there and obvious rising like a menace, especially when I look at other cars exhaust and they dont smoke like mine does.

Maybe the oil/petrol mixture is off or the CAT is faulty or something - can someone please help me understand what the problem is as I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

I have a 2002 Lexus IS200 which seems to have lost its power - For a 153 BHP it is very slow...- with 115k and FSH - there is continuous smoke coming from the exhaust, it is misty white and is thicker when I press the accelerator.

I have had a full service with new filters, oil and plugs but hasn't solved anything. It is not losing any oil. It starts and drives fine but everytime I look in the rear view mirror, especially stationary, the smoke is there and obvious rising like a menace, especially when I look at other cars exhaust and they dont smoke like mine does.

Maybe the oil/petrol mixture is off or the CAT is faulty or something - can someone please help me understand what the problem is as I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

white smoke can be caused in several ways. If you aren't losing oil and theres no smell from the smoke then that discounts oil. That leaves air/fuel ratio which would be indicated by high consumption and low power (is the car choking constantly?) and the other one is coolant burn if theres a crack or a gasket leak burning coolant will produce white smoke as well. Are you topping up the rad alot or losing coolant at all?

Hopefully its not the coolant one in which case i'd look at the MAF and the lambdas to see if they were functioning correctly. Have you taken it to have the codes read from the OBD might save alot of time

Thank you.

white smoke can be caused in several ways. If you aren't losing oil and theres no smell from the smoke then that discounts oil. That leaves air/fuel ratio which would be indicated by high consumption and low power (is the car choking constantly?) and the other one is coolant burn if theres a crack or a gasket leak burning coolant will produce white smoke as well. Are you topping up the rad alot or losing coolant at all?

Hopefully its not the coolant one in which case i'd look at the MAF and the lambdas to see if they were functioning correctly. Have you taken it to have the codes read from the OBD might save alot of time

'HIgh consumption/low' power is correct - the rad is not losing any coolant - that leaves the MAF and the lambdas but what are these??? And what's the OBD? As you can tell I am not too literate in these terms - thank you for you help, further assistance would be great, thanks.

Thank you.

'HIgh consumption/low' power is correct - the rad is not losing any coolant - that leaves the MAF and the lambdas but what are these??? And what's the OBD? As you can tell I am not too literate in these terms - thank you for you help, further assistance would be great, thanks.

THe MAF sensor is a little black sensor that sits on the intake just behind the air filter box/assembly it measures mass air flow and temperature of the intake it thats not functioning correctly that will throw the fuelling out. The lambda sensors are a set of probes that sit in the exhaust on and behind the manifold and measure the o2 content of the exhaust gasses, a lambda failure would probably have more effect than the maf tbh. OBD is the on board diagnostics if you take the car into lexus/toyota they will be able to read the codes from it and might be able to tell you straight away whats failed.

I'd suggest going to get the codes read first then if needs be do the replacements, lambda sensors can be gotten fairly cheaply but a MAF or piece of electrickery may sting you

could also be seals in the sevo, as its vacuum powered from the inlet manifold, faulty seal = brakefluid in the air fuel mix then in the combustion chamber and only a smidgin will smoke for hours.

i very much dounbt this, but its an avenue to explore at a later date .

note: if its a diesel discount this as its only relevant on petrol vehicles.

johny

THe MAF sensor is a little black sensor that sits on the intake just behind the air filter box/assembly it measures mass air flow and temperature of the intake it thats not functioning correctly that will throw the fuelling out. The lambda sensors are a set of probes that sit in the exhaust on and behind the manifold and measure the o2 content of the exhaust gasses, a lambda failure would probably have more effect than the maf tbh. OBD is the on board diagnostics if you take the car into lexus/toyota they will be able to read the codes from it and might be able to tell you straight away whats failed.

I'd suggest going to get the codes read first then if needs be do the replacements, lambda sensors can be gotten fairly cheaply but a MAF or piece of electrickery may sting you

As I understand it, the IS200 doesn't have a MAF sensor.

is200 has a map sensor and not a maf sensor. the is200 is not a quick car in any sense and when stationary does produce a lot of mist/smoke so i wouldnt be even slightly concerned so see an IS smoking , also as u say the oil levels and the coolant levels are not dropping.

i get it, esp in the cold weather..its normal..looks quite kool! lol

If its a case of low power and increased consumption and hoofing out white smoke at all occasions i'd be very worried if it was normal.

Wasn't sure if it was MAF or MAP on the IS but that clears it up.

If the smoke smells "sweet" then its definately coolant

There's white smoke and there's steam/condensation or whatever you want to call it.

The IS200 will throw out lots of the latter kind, as long as it looks thin, clear and doesn't linger then yes that's fairly normal. But if it's actual white smoke then that's not right.

There's white smoke and there's steam/condensation or whatever you want to call it.

The IS200 will throw out lots of the latter kind, as long as it looks thin, clear and doesn't linger then yes that's fairly normal. But if it's actual white smoke then that's not right.

Thank you everyone (especially legendswraith), keep the suggestions coming, I will follow all avenues.

is200 has a map sensor and not a maf sensor. the is200 is not a quick car in any sense and when stationary does produce a lot of mist/smoke so i wouldnt be even slightly concerned so see an IS smoking , also as u say the oil levels and the coolant levels are not dropping.

Oil and coolant are not dropping although I will check first thing in the morning.

i get it, esp in the cold weather..its normal..looks quite kool! lol

If its a case of low power and increased consumption and hoofing out white smoke at all occasions i'd be very worried if it was normal.

Wasn't sure if it was MAF or MAP on the IS but that clears it up.

If the smoke smells "sweet" then its definately coolant

Yeah I agree... I will check the smell and all the fluids and get back to you. Thanks again.

My car pours out tonnes of steam when the engines cold and stopped at the lights - more than most anyway. Are we sure its not this yet?

I get a lot of steam/smoke when its cold or damp weather totaly normal. Although the Lex seems to produce more than other cars.

mines the same. i see the steam coming from rear view mirror and look around at other cars that have non. doesnt bother me tho. You have to decide if its smoke or steam. if its thick and you cant see things through it then yes i reckon you have an problem somewhere cus thats surely not right. if its just big clouds of thin misty steam, its ok.

very much doubt HG failure,

levels are the constant .

johny

i agree head gasket failure you'd notice on levels. Think the crux is to find out if its steam or smoke, once thats established it'll be easier to see whats occurring. If its steam looks like its a normality for the IS if its smoke i reckon you are running too rich