Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 Days With Rx400h

Hi All,

Just a quick line to let you guys who own RX400h know I can now understand why this is such a good car .I had one on loan for 5 days when my IS250 auto sel was in for service and various warranty issues.Did mixed driving city- motorway and got a return of some 31mpg and most of this was on cold days .Had a RX300 SEL some 2.5 years ago and really miss the ride quality ,really tempted to trade up but the wife still thinks there is a stigma againt 4X4.s and the dreaded credit crunch (hmmmmmmm) what do women know anyway ???

Yes in opinion this one great vehicle .

Cheers

Swager

Hi All,

Just a quick line to let you guys who own RX400h know I can now understand why this is such a good car .I had one on loan for 5 days when my IS250 auto sel was in for service and various warranty issues.Did mixed driving city- motorway and got a return of some 31mpg and most of this was on cold days .Had a RX300 SEL some 2.5 years ago and really miss the ride quality ,really tempted to trade up but the wife still thinks there is a stigma againt 4X4.s and the dreaded credit crunch (hmmmmmmm) what do women know anyway ???

Yes in opinion this one great vehicle .

Cheers

Swager

As long as you're not taking unnecessary risks, I say you only live once!

I had a 400H, traded it in for GS450H (fast car with no boot), went back to a 400H and have never looked back. I suppose I'm a bit biased because I have been running an RX of some kind since 2001.

I think the ride is one of the strong points of the RX. It is just so cosseted and so well refined that you forget how well it actually rides...OK so the trade off is a little more body roll, but even still, it is SO luxurious and comfortable.

But the 400h, I think is a weak vehicle that really doesn't do anything more than gimmicky techie stuff that wears very thin very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the ride is one of the strong points of the RX. It is just so cosseted and so well refined that you forget how well it actually rides...OK so the trade off is a little more body roll, but even still, it is SO luxurious and comfortable.

But the 400h, I think is a weak vehicle that really doesn't do anything more than gimmicky techie stuff that wears very thin very quickly.

I don't know why anyone would refer to a 400h as a "weak vehicle". It will outrun a Porche Cayenne (standard V6 - not the V8 or Turbo), Get 30 MPG with just a little care, and retains it's value amoung the best. What's weak about any of that? I personally love the whine of the brake re-gen system, sounds like money to me.

I don't know why anyone would refer to a 400h as a "weak vehicle". It will outrun a Porche Cayenne (standard V6 - not the V8 or Turbo), Get 30 MPG with just a little care, and retains it's value amoung the best. What's weak about any of that? I personally love the whine of the brake re-gen system, sounds like money to me.

I have posted at length about my dislike for this vehicle - however from memory - my complaints are as follows:

1. The RX may (in a straight line) out accelerate a Porsche Cayenne. But you have to understand that in twists and bends and in even the slightest of adverse grip conditions, the Cayenne will out perform the RX because it [the RX that is] is a front wheel drive only vehicle that suffers very heavily from over delivery of power to the front two wheels while the Cayenne is AWD ALL of the time, offering better and higher levels of grip.

2. The running on Battery gimmick that the RX has is poor - why? Well if you start the car on most mornings it will invariably start on the petrol engine. Now we all know that a petrol engine is at its least efficient at start up, but the RX, despite its technology, still behaves like any large engined petrol vehicle. So if you have only a couple of miles to go on the school run (as example) it will run on petrol only for the entire journey - unless it manages to warm up quickly enough and even then it may not switch back to Battery alone.

3. Once up to optimal running temperature, it will only default to Battery only running at incredibly low speeds. Unless of course you are doing say 35MPH and lift off the throttle thereby forcing it to switch to Battery. Even then (on a full charge) it will run for no more than 10 minutes / couple of miles before - yep you guessed it - defaulting to petrol.

4. If you take the time to notice, the hybrid Battery seems to spend more time 'charging itself' than actually powering the car and with the unnecessary 'dead weight' you carry in the RX, it makes it very tail heavy and if you throw it into corners and bends at any speed, the tail will kick out quite easily.

Now I know people say oh but it does 30MPG - so does a decent 3L diesel engine SUV and with the BMW Efficiency Dynamics - the 3L diesel X5 is as clean as the RX (IIRC). So what does the RX do then that other single fuel traditional engine SUVs cannot? I would never dream of paying £40k for what is essentially a two-wheel-front-wheel-drive vehicle.

At least in a petrol only RX you get proper AWD capability and better off road potential.

...and when Li-Ion technology gets sorted, with a stroke over night, these first generation RXs will become virtually worthless.

I've had my RX400h for over a year now and I still love it - it's comortable, quick and economical. Great family car too.

...and I don't deny that mate. I am merely commenting on the other attributes of this car - people are far too easily taken in by the techie glitzy razzmatazz stuff rather than actually looking at the practicalities of this SUV. I think a petrol RX stacks up much better (as an SUV) than the hybrid.

I've had my RX400h for over a year now and I still love it - it's comortable, quick and economical. Great family car too.

...and I don't deny that mate. I am merely commenting on the other attributes of this car - people are far too easily taken in by the techie glitzy razzmatazz stuff rather than actually looking at the practicalities of this SUV. I think a petrol RX stacks up much better (as an SUV) than the hybrid.

I had a mark I RX300 from 2001 -3003, a Mark II RX300 from 2003 to date and have been running an RX400 since 2005. I also had an RX350 for 6 months. The RX400 for me is the best of the lot - nothing to do with gizmos - its simply a better drive, better economy and more satisfying over long distances. That is my opinion. I understand that you prefer the Mark II RX300, or indeed the RX350 but that is merely your personal preference too! If I really wanted an off road SUV, I would have a Toyota Landcruiser - solid, reliable, dependable and unstoppable!

...and when Li-Ion technology gets sorted, with a stroke over night, these first generation RXs will become virtually worthless.

I believe there will no non-hybrid RXs for the UK from next year. Lexus dealers are also struggling to shift RX300s and RX350s - so it would seem that there are a lot us out there selecting the 'techie gizmo' RX400, but that stuff can also be found in a Prius so why bother? Reason is that we really want a Lexus RX, and of those available, the RX400H is the preferred choice for some. Drivethedeal has a £10k discount on them, no one needs to pay £40k, one can even buy a used one for the same price as the Prius.

And if we are talking depreciation, no car is immune. A brief search will reveal that you can get an LS460 SEL for £29k, a two year old S320cdi Merc for £30k, a 2005 RX400 for £18k, a 2003 RX300 for £8k and so on. But you can get 1994 E320 Coupe for £15k !!

As long as we all enjoy our cars, everybody is happy!

I was not referring to the depreciation curve nor the desirability factor in particular - nor was I looking to question the luxury and reliability of the Hybrids. I was merely commenting on the drive ability side of things more than anything else.

For me to have a near 2T truck to be front wheel drive only is criminal. For the Hybrid Battery to last only circa 10 mins. before depleting is equally criminal. The 400h is a flawed vehicle and really just a hybrid two-wheel drive Camry in all but name. At least with a petrol RX you get (the same Camry) but with proper AWD all of the time offering better grip and handling that are better suited to SUVs. 2WD SUVs are both pointless and have hindered handling.

The new ED BMW's venture into 400h territory - but they are single traditional fuel only vehicles. So if they can, with their normal technology challenge the 400h - does it not then leave 400h vulnerable to them as they have better dynamics, handling and dare I say reliability too?

Thats the point I was looking to make. i am not anti-Lexus - I have a petrol only RX and wanted to buy a 400h - but having lived with it for many weeks, I had my illusion shattered. As things stand, I would always take a petrol/diesel SUV over the 400h.

Heck people like me are always grateful when folk eagerly fork out £30k+ on a new car - so that I can then afford it at about 1/3 of that price after 3 years - long may it continue as I need to change my RX shortly - so please people go out and buy those big luxury expensive barges so I can then upgrade! ;)

I've been driving a Mk2 RX for just over 4 years now and have been reading this forum for just as long. I'm sure years ago there was talk of the RX being a front wheel drive vehicle that only delivered power to the rear wheels if slip was detected at the front. Are you 100% certain that the RX 300/350 is permanent AWD? Where does it say this? This seems to be your main dislike of the 400h ( front wheel drive ). I'm not a fan of the 400h though either as I just think the batteries will be exhausted after 5 minutes and then you get to carry all that dead weight if you're on a longish run.

Roll on fuel cell technology !

Alan.

Just because you don't "get it",doesn't mean the RX 400h is a weak car.You clearly have a bee in your bonnet about the RX400h,but believe me,there are plenty of us who enjoy our car which suits us just fine.In fact I'll let you know when I buy a new one(I may wait for the new model next year).

I am in my 4th year of ownership and delighted with it.Great acceleration with instant torque(great for overtaking) in a car that does 30mpg+ without trying too hard,in a practical package.I don't do off roading,so I do not need a proper 4WD system.Suits me fine.

And you say a diesel BMW/Other SUV gets you 30mpg as well?Have you stuck your nose near a diesel car's exhaust recently?

I don't want to drive around in a diesel burning stinking car which pushes out diesel particulates which get up everybody's noses(and is a major contributing factor to the rapidly rising rates of asthma in the world).Also you'll find that unless you get the big engined V-8/V-10 diesel SUVs you are not going to get equivalent performance compared to a hybrid RX despite similar economy(how much is diesel at the pumps these days?).And how much do these V-8/V-10 engined SUVs cost new?Probably 50-60 grand,easily.

Look,you may have a bee in your bonnet about the RX 400h,but you don't have to continuously have a dig at the RX400h,disrespecting all those on this forum that have made it their choice to drive one.

One the other hand,I am sure you think you're right.

In the meantime,I'll just continue to enjoy my RX400h,until I renew it.

Are you 100% certain that the RX 300/350 is permanent AWD? Where does it say this?...I'm not a fan of the 400h though either as I just think the batteries will be exhausted after 5 minutes and then you get to carry all that dead weight if you're on a longish run.

Roll on fuel cell technology !

Alan.

IIRC the 2WD version of the petrol only RX is sold in the US and Japan - everywhere else it is permanent AWD.

I believe what you are referring to a characteristic of the 400h - which has a rear electric motor that kicks in to 'drive' the rear wheels when (if) it detects any loss of traction/skid etc.

Just because you don't "get it",doesn't mean the RX 400h is a weak car.You clearly have a bee in your bonnet about the RX400h,but believe me,there are plenty of us who enjoy our car which suits us just fine.

And you say a diesel BMW/Other SUV gets you 30mpg as well?Have you stuck your nose near a diesel car's exhaust recently?

I don't want to drive around in a diesel burning stinking car which pushes out diesel particulates which get up everybody's noses (and is a major contributing factor to the rapidly rising rates of asthma in the world). Also you'll find that unless you get the big engined V-8/V-10 diesel SUVs you are not going to get equivalent performance compared to a hybrid RX despite similar economy(how much is diesel at the pumps these days?). And how much do these V-8/V-10 engined SUVs cost new?Probably 50-60 grand,easily.

One the other hand,I am sure you think you're right.

Look, I am trying to bring balance to any constructive discussion on the forum - and last I recall, we were an active forum that revelled in debate and alternate views. By sharing our collective experiences and providing opinions - can we hope to improve the experience.

No, I don't have a 'bee in my bonnet' because I don't wear a bonnet...or skirt ;)

Joviality aside, I find the 400h not to be as polished a product as Lexus make out and people seem to think.

Handling should be an obvious point given the size and nature of the vehicle being an SUV. The fact that this is a FWD only vehicle - and I know the rear motor kicks in when detecting a skid etc. - but in my experience it has been quite slow to do so and when not skidding the rear wheels are not driven, load or not.

I acknowledge the technology - it has moved fuel efficient vehicles forward and if you are looking from a company car type of vehicle perspective, the hybrid RX stands out. But that aside, from an emissions POV, sure the DPF technology in diesels isn't perfected - but it has helped advance the cause of diesels leaps and bounds forward. Clearly if people felt as prejudicially towards as diesel as you seem to - then diesel sales wouldn't be where they are in the UK - with most fleets being diesel. The DPF nullifies your contention and makes diesels more cleaner and more efficient.

But lets look at the figures:

Lexus RX400h CO2 (g/km) - 192

BMW X5 3L diesel CO2 (g/km) - 214

BMW X5 3L diesel (twin turbo) CO2 (g/km) - 216

Currently both the RX and diesel X5 (with ED) are classed in the same tax bandings. Sure maybe in a couple of years IF the 13 tax bands come in the differnece may be more pronounced, but until then, todays figures show that to tax these cars are the same. So where is the advantage for the 400h? Oh yes it is London Congestion Charge exempt - but I don't go to London. So where is the advantage for the 400h?

And as for performance, that is nothing without control, grip, handling and chassis dynamics - all of where the 400h falls down. I am just wanting to prompt a little debate about the 'wonderful' 400h - which isn't all that wonderful or great.

My objective isn't to offend people, just bring my perspective and experience to the table/debate.

"For me to have a near 2T truck to be front wheel drive only is criminal. For the Hybrid Battery to last only circa 10 mins. before depleting is equally criminal. The 400h is a flawed vehicle and really just a hybrid two-wheel drive Camry in all but name. At least with a petrol RX you get (the same Camry) but with proper AWD all of the time offering better grip and handling that are better suited to SUVs. 2WD SUVs are both pointless and have hindered handling."

A near two ton front wheel drive drive that can accelerate 0 - 60 in 7.2 seconds and return 34MPG is not criminal. All four wheels are powered when necessary.

The RX300 does not have better handling than the RX400h

And on the AWD point, like I said, if that was a key factor for me the Toyota Land Cruiser would be the vehicle I would buy. The RX in all its guises cannot be described as a proper AWD SUV that is capable of distinguishing itself in rough terrain.

All four wheels are powered when necessary.

And that is the point I am making for the handling. The 400h is not only heavier but also has the characteristics of any FWD vehicle. The rear wheels are only powered under certain conditions - and only IF the car detects the need to 'power' them. Going into a bend at some speed or going round a roundabout quickly will result in the rear of the 400h kicking out much sooner than the 'normal' RX - because each of the four driven wheels are providing traction all of the time.

I am not suggesting that the RXs are serious off roaders - they re not - but the 400h is basically FWD with a whole bunch of weight issues that invariably compromise the handling. I can take any corner and curve faster and quicker in my RX than a 400h can - because of the traction (and wieght) advantage the 'normal' RX has over the 400h.

I am just suggesting that cars as big as these should be AWD to take into account the size and weight - to improve handling and stability. Nail a 400h (in a straight line) and you will feel awful torque steer. Nail a 'normal' RX and it is surefooted (OK not as quick but we're comparing two power sources vs single) and grippy.

And that is the point I am making for the handling. The 400h is not only heavier but also has the characteristics of any FWD vehicle. The rear wheels are only powered under certain conditions - and only IF the car detects the need to 'power' them. Going into a bend at some speed or going round a roundabout quickly will result in the rear of the 400h kicking out much sooner than the 'normal' RX - because each of the four driven wheels are providing traction all of the time.

I am not suggesting that the RXs are serious off roaders - they re not - but the 400h is basically FWD with a whole bunch of weight issues that invariably compromise the handling. I can take any corner and curve faster and quicker in my RX than a 400h can - because of the traction (and wieght) advantage the 'normal' RX has over the 400h.

I am just suggesting that cars as big as these should be AWD to take into account the size and weight - to improve handling and stability. Nail a 400h (in a straight line) and you will feel awful torque steer. Nail a 'normal' RX and it is surefooted (OK not as quick but we're comparing two power sources vs single) and grippy.

I agree with all of that. With my driving I will never discover the limits of the 400h on a bend - I have yet to discover it on my RX300 either. Perhaps a Track day would lend me the opportunity for this insight. However, if that level of grip was important, surely all versions of the RX are useless against the likes of the X5. Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. I still think, given the way these vehicles are driven, and the number of times one would actually use the AWD system, the RX400h makes perfect sense. I barely get 23MPG from my RX300 with careful everyday driving. I think for the strengths you are looking for in a vehicle of this type, all RXs are flawed but then Lexus never made them to be exceptional off road vehicles or sports machines. In choosing the RX, I was looking for neither sports car type handling, nor off road capability. I wanted an RX and the RX400h's power, handling and economy was a better proposition for me. Torque steer was an issue in my 2005 RX but no such issues in the 2007 one.

Does anyone have experience of the RX400h in the snow? Does it switch to 4WD if the front wheels slip? I have a GS450h which is pretty poor in snow as one would expect with a RWD. My wife has a Subaru Outback which is a great AWD in snow on road conditions but she is considering the RX450h as a replacement next year.

This debate about handling, traction and AWD vs FWD is completely irrelevant to me and, I suspect 99% of other drivers.......

Hi Guys ,

well interesting reading - yes I am part off the 99% and after driving a RX300 se-l for 1 year would take the 400h every time - because

1 driving in Bristol RX300 average 18-20mpg RX400h 30 mpg

2 great gearbox

3 the look of suprise in Tesco's car park as you creep up behind shoppers .

4 could get the 400h we had to run on Battery up to 40-43 mph .

5 out of the mouths of babes (the kids ) very environmentally friendly and not using smelly dirty diesel.

6 and I just loved it.

interesting no comments on the 4x4 stigma .

cheers dude marry xmas

swager

A front wheel drive car will normally tend towards understeer rather than oversteer. The handling on most front wheel drive cars is set up for this as it's generally easier for non-expert drivers to control and thus safer in extreme situations. Under hard acceleration, when the driven front wheels lose grip, obviously that's not going to cause the back end to step out.

If the back end steps out while driving in a front wheel drive car, the driver is probably carrying too much speed on entry, and turning in while lifting off the accelerator or even braking. Road camber can play a large part - some roundabouts near me cause lift-off oversteer much more easily than others.

In my LS460, being rear wheel drive, it's easy to get the back end to step out just a tad under power before the VDIM brings everything back into line. In the RX400h I find that even on a nearby off-camber roundabout, I can turn in at close to the limit of adhesion, and then floor the throttle on the apex. All four wheels are driven as necessary giving me much more traction than in my LS460, which would oversteer initially, then the VDIM would apply the relevant brakes, then allow application of power gradually.

The 4 wheel traction of the RX400h was clearly demonstrated to me last week when I was being tailgated by some idiot in a RenaultSport Megane approaching the same roundabout where we both were turning right. In the RX400h, I turned in at what I considered a safe speed and then floored the accelerator, getting good traction from all 4 wheels and following my intended path exactly. I looked in my mirror to see the Renault Megane spinning through 180 degrees. Luckily for the driver, there were no other cars nearby. The driver gathered it up and was back on my tail within half a minute or so (I wasn't racing).

I realise that the Renault Megane is also a front wheel drive vehicle, but I am certain that the camber of the road on this particular roundabout as well as the driving style has a lot to do with the lift-off oversteer I am describing. On other roundabouts, the RX400h tends to simply start understeering if driven a bit too fast. But then as soon as the VDIM detects the understeer, rather than simply cut power, it applies power to the rear wheels allowing the car to accelerate while maintaining the chosen line.

By the way, I actually like having the back end step out on my cars while cornering, so long as it's controllable and doesn't happen unexpectedly (this happened once to me on a greasy road in my old MK 3 Toyota Supra which had no ESP/traction control - that caused a bit of anxiety). It can be quite entertaining - certainly more fun than having the front end wash out due to understeer.

...would take the 400h every time - because

2 great gearbox

4 could get the 400h we had to run on battery up to 40-43 mph .

5 out of the mouths of babes (the kids ) very environmentally friendly and not using smelly dirty diesel.

6 and I just loved it.

I do not doubt that in town (and town only) the 400h is able to return 30MPG - in fact that would be better than a diesel as this is not an ideal use for a diesel. However point #3 does hold a novelty value no doubt - silent running. But that is precisely what it is, a novelty. Which leads onto point #4 that, as the 400h runs in, it is possible to run it on Battery for those sorts of speeds, but you cannot accelerate when running batteries on that limit and the moment you touch the accelerator, you will engage the engine, which would also be the case if you hit even a slight incline - and how long can you survive on Battery power? As for the diesel prejudice, I cannot quite understand that, as modern diesels are every bit as clean and [more] efficient than the days old gone belches of black smoke.

Long distance running, a diesel outperforms the 400h with some ease. Because when you're doing the 70MPH+ cruises, you're running on your petrol only engine.

By the way, I actually like having the back end step out on my cars while cornering, so long as it's controllable and doesn't happen unexpectedly (this happened once to me on a greasy road in my old MK 3 Toyota Supra which had no ESP/traction control - that caused a bit of anxiety). It can be quite entertaining - certainly more fun than having the front end wash out due to understeer.

That is perhaps an acceptable trait in a 'sport car' - and one that proved quite exciting in my PUG 205 GTi - but can be unnerving in a big heavy lug of a vehicle like a 400h, especially if you have an inexperienced driver at the wheel (think how many SUVs are driven by School Run Moms?). Like I have tried to say, the 2WD make up of these vehicles is a flaw. And one that can prejudice the handling of the vehicle that one (or two) times when you really doo need that extra grip traction and stability. As clever as they are, they rely on technology and that can fail/get it wrong.

...would take the 400h every time - because

2 great gearbox

4 could get the 400h we had to run on battery up to 40-43 mph .

6 and I just loved it.

I do not doubt that in town (and town only) the 400h is able to return 30MPG - in fact that would be better than a diesel as this is not an ideal use for a diesel. However point #3 does hold a novelty value no doubt - silent running. But that is precisely what it is, a novelty. Which leads onto point #4 that, as the 400h runs in, it is possible to run it on Battery for those sorts of speeds, but you cannot accelerate when running batteries on that limit and the moment you touch the accelerator, you will engage the engine, which would also be the case if you hit even a slight incline - and how long can you survive on Battery power? As for the diesel prejudice, I cannot quite understand that, as modern diesels are every bit as clean and [more] efficient than the days old gone belches of black smoke.

Long distance running, a diesel outperforms the 400h with some ease. Because when you're doing the 70MPH+ cruises, you're running on your petrol only engine.

hmmmm

Despite its impressive performance, the emissions and fuel consumption of the RX 400h are lower than those of an equivalent engine-sized SUV. When running on electric power alone, there are no emissions at all, and in the combined cycle CO2 emissions are only 192g/km. Fuel consumption is 34.9mpg in the combined cycle making the RX 400h a true class-beater

Model: X5 xDrive 30d SE

OTR Price: £40,100

Fuel: Diesel

BIK (%): 33%

CO2 (g/km): 214

Combined fuel consumption (mpg): 34.9

Performance (hp): 235

0-62mph (secs): 8.1

cant quiet get your comment on the fact that diesels are not ideal for city /town driving - most taxi's are still diesel

rest my case as it is a step forward into developing alternative mods of transport / wonder what your thoughts would be on Hydrogen-fueled car or perhaps the 400h should have a B.M.W diesel engine fitted and now back to the IS forum

cheers

swager