Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had New Front Passengers Side Window Fitted

kam05

My dad has been in hospital recently (hernia operation) and I've been visiting him after work. (Dad is at St. James in Leeds).

Since there isn't much hospital parking at St. James, I've been parking the IS200 in the side streets around St. James, for those of you who don't know the area around St. James hospital there are lots of shady/dodgy characters around. Anyway, on Friday morning I noticed that someone had tried to put a brick through the front passengers side window (they left a print in the shape of a brick), but the glass didn't break. With the cold weather of last week, the door glass had cracked.

Went to Autoglass on Friday afternoon, they had a look and confirmed a replacement is needed. Checked with insurance company (Esure) that would pick up the bill (minus £70 excess for glass), Esure said they would. Autoglass told me most insurance companies will only foot the bill for windscreens only, not for other glass such as door glass or sunroofs.

Asked Autoglass to source a genuine door glass from Lexus, so they did, had the replacement fitted on Saturday. Fitter did a good job, only thing the fitter couldn't salvage from the damaged glass was the sticker in the bottom right hand corner. I know its a minor detail, but a dealer should be able to supply a sticker that I want?

I was told that the door glass itself is £92 plus VAT and autoglass would have charged me £55 plus VAT for fitting. So it made sense to go through the insurance. I have protected NCD.

Claims for glass don't affect your NCD unless you have other damage or items stolen at the same time. Is the glass really a genuine Lexus door glass? From what I was told after Autoglass replaced my front o/s door glass on my previous GS 300, if it is a genuine part it will have the same makings as your other front door glass. I eventually found that mine was not a Lexus/Toyota part.

Claims for glass don't affect your NCD unless you have other damage or items stolen at the same time. Is the glass really a genuine Lexus door glass? From what I was told after Autoglass replaced my front o/s door glass on my previous GS 300, if it is a genuine part it will have the same makings as your other front door glass. I eventually found that mine was not a Lexus/Toyota part.

Dave,

The replacement glass is a genuine item, it has all the relevant Lexus marks on it- same as the other glass on the car. I insisted that Autoglass source a genuine replacement from Lexus, if they couldn't source a replacement from Lexus I would have taken my car to someone else.

When I was having my glass replaced, a bloke with a 1 series BMW turned up complaining that his replacement windscreen wasn't fitted properly. Turns out the replacement (non-OEM) windscreen was slightly smaller than the OEM item, Autoglass had to get a OEM replacement from BMW. I told the BMW bloke he should have insisted on a OEM replacement in the first place- saving him the hassle of bringing it back.

Glad you managed to get OEM glass. Whilst my replacement glass fitted perfectly, it didn't look the same. Initially they put bronze tinted instead of grey tinted, but even after they changed it it just wasn't quite right. I will certainly follow your lead and insist on OEM should I ever be unfortunate enough to require it.