Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Tax Changes - I Think I *might* Have Just Got Extremely Lucky!

Ok, like most, i was EXTREMELY disappointed to find out that my 2001, Y reg (registered slap bang on 1st March 2001, no less!) was going to fall into the £410/year tax category.

Thought i would run a quick check on the DVLA website to see if any of the financial/economic crisis had changed the Chancellor's mind about taxing us through our a55es, and lo and behold there seems to be a vestige of hope for us Y reg owners. Check here:

Car tax homepage

Scroll down to the "How much will i pay under the new rates" table. My IS200 is 239g/KM, however, it appears as if its going to be allocated to Bank K (£215/year) and NOT bank L as originally stated (£405/year). For some reason there is some wording to say "Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006. These cars will stay in band K."

Am i right in thinking that because my car is registered within the 22 day window in March 01, i've ended up saving £200/year in car tax?

May still be just a stay of execution......

Taken from AA link

The most significant difference compared to the proposals announced in the March 2008 budget is that cars emitting over 225g/km and first registered between 1 March 2001 and 23 March 2006 will now go into band 'K', at least until 2010/11. Under the previous proposals these cars would have moved into band 'L' or 'M' depending on official CO2 emissions.

I don't think they'll ever do it - it's just a gentle climbdown to save face. They have got the new banding in place - as time goes on, older cars will be scrapped anyway and fall out of the system.

I'm glad I got the V8 when I did, can't see myself owning one in a few years time. I think cars like that are a dying breed, sad to say.

I agree. In 2011 the newest car in Class K with >225 will be >5 years old. Imagine the negative headlines for a government introducing a punitive ved on such a group. IMHO there is no chance.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links