Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Throttle Pedal Problem

Throttle

Hi

I've had abit of a search and have found no info on my problem anyhow i have a IS200 and i have a problem where there is no play in the throttle pedal usually id press the pedal and it would have a bit of play/movement before the revs would react where as now suddenly its at the highest point the revs are instant when you touch the pedal and the pedal itself only goes down a small amount before it reaches its limit compared to previous where it would more or less go down all the way.

I have checked the pedal to see if its actually going up to its usually maximum place it would be and that seems as normal ..I only noticed the fault tonight so haven't been able to look at the engine itself for any possible faults there such as a throttle cable sticking or damaged i'll check that out tomorrow the only thing i have done is change the air filter but can't see a air filter effecting a throttle cable/pedal :unsure:

I'll check it out tomorrow tbh i didnt notice any wiring nearby to the Air filter it seemed easy to get too being at the top of the engine and not much in the way but i'll see what i can spot in the daylight tomorrow and update if i find out what it actually is causing it :unsure:

I am a fitter so im usually ok with mechanical stuff yet i never have touched the car engine much apart from oil change and filters in the past hopefully i should be able to find the fault tomorrow :shifty:

Thanks for the replys.

I'll check it out tomorrow tbh i didnt notice any wiring nearby to the Air filter it seemed easy to get too being at the top of the engine and not much in the way but i'll see what i can spot in the daylight tomorrow and update if i find out what it actually is causing it :unsure:

Check out this diagram which shows some of the relevant cables etc. Might be worth checking everything's plugged in properly.

You're right that the air filter is very easy and just comes straight out (and back in again). Might also be worth checking for any debris that might have fallen into the throttle body during this process ?

I found the problem i checked the throttle cable didn't have any kinks along it as it does run around the back of the air filter housing and all seemed fine the actual throttle itself didn't appear to be sticking at all on the engine so i decided to go check the pedal again to which i noticed with being in daylight now that the mat had folded itself into a Z shape on the edge once i moved that it was fine and obviously the cause of the problem :blush:

I suppose at least it was something simple and it cost nothing to fix in the end :lol: i blame myself i did ask my missis who told me about the problem if the mat wasn't under the pedal and was told that she moved it to try fix it so it wasn't and i took her word rather than double check to start with :iraqi-info-minister:

I tried lifting the pedal to see if there was anything catching above or even a seized cable but never actually checked the mat until today with it being dark yesterday when i looked anyhow problem solved even if its a very daft and simple fault :lookaround: i thought id just check here incase it was something more common and it was a different fault anyhow thanks for all the help ! lol ;)

The mats can be a pain in the IS for doing that, if they don't have the clip on they slip forward and can lock thethrottle in place while you're driving - once happened to me and it had slipped that far forward I couldn't press the brake - was an interesting moment LOL!

The mats can be a pain in the IS for doing that, if they don't have the clip on they slip forward and can lock thethrottle in place while you're driving - once happened to me and it had slipped that far forward I couldn't press the brake - was an interesting moment LOL!

Yea i've had dodgy mat problem before once it managed to land on top of the throttle pedal so the car was increasing in revs then stuck on full with rev limiter bouncing im speeding up and stomping on the pedal wondering wtf it was and why it wouldnt drop revs i leaned down and found the mat somehow had got on the pedal and pulled it off lucky i found it as was slow traffic not far in front of me :unsure:

:lol: Glad it was something simple though !

Yea the something simple are the best faults and free too ..cant complain with them type B)

about two months ago, i was driving home from work, and some idiot in a golf fancied his chances at some lights, blew him from the lights no problem, continued driving home, all fine, i then came to a dip in the road, as i approached the bottom i put my foot on the accelarator, and i picked up no speed, looked at the revs and it was redlining at 30mph, limped it home, and the clutch had slipped, new clutch needed, noticed what u had said about masive revs, maybe a thought, clutch could be slipping

about two months ago, i was driving home from work, and some idiot in a golf fancied his chances at some lights, blew him from the lights no problem

To be fair you were probably lucky there as a lot of Golf's would blow the IS away!

about two months ago, i was driving home from work, and some idiot in a golf fancied his chances at some lights, blew him from the lights no problem, continued driving home, all fine, i then came to a dip in the road, as i approached the bottom i put my foot on the accelarator, and i picked up no speed, looked at the revs and it was redlining at 30mph, limped it home, and the clutch had slipped, new clutch needed, noticed what u had said about masive revs, maybe a thought, clutch could be slipping

Mine was due too the mat landing on the throttle pedal the clutch seems fine :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links