Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Things You Hate On The 1st Gen Is?

japthree

Only things I didn't like were the clutch judder in first sometimes from cold and then when I first had it figuring out how to get petrol in it without it stopping every five minutes!

Would definitely have another original IS, still like it better than most cars! I'd go for the IS300 next time around though as I've got lazy and like the autobox now I'm old!

I think the scratches on the interior because it seems to mark easily, and also the crunches and thumps when changing gear. Clutching at straws though here, it's a very good car :)

Funnily enough the so-called lack of power never bothers me, it's plenty quick enough for normal road use, and is great on country roads where the handling and brakes are more important. I think the only time the lack of power really shows up is away from the lights on 70mph dual carriageways, then it does feel slow.

:shifty: Well I av had it for 5 yrs and still love it.

I don't want to PX it at the moment, driven the 250 and thought the 200 is better.

I am happy still and it has gone on longer than my mariage :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I guess the fuel economy compared to how much power it has isn't great. Would also prefer there was a boot release on the actual boot, and wanted a full leather interior.

Other than that I'm pretty happy :)

There is nothing I "hate" about the IS200, except for perhaps that there is no locking device to stop random selection of reverse. Why did Lexus create this daft design when every other car manufacturer has one? If they did, they could get rid of the warning buzzer (obviously a design afterthought). It's relly annoying when new passengers scream "what's that noise" when you are in the middle of a tricky reverse.

My main gripe is with Lexus in that they went down the luxury development route for the IS250. What they have created is a mini GS. Obviously this was right because I see many IS250's about. I would have prefered a facelift IS200 (which is still one of the best looking cars on the road 9 years after it was introduced - a design classic and not just a passing fad). They could have created a real 3 series competitor with a lot more power and an LSD as standard.

The great thing about the IS200 design is the wonderful compactness and internal space. It has that ability to be a superb car to park in towns/supermarkets yet it can cruise on motorways with divine smoothness all day. It is plenty big enough as a family car, so why build a bigger one in the IS250.

You guys must really give that gearstick some force to accidentally get reverse? Don't think I ever managed that in three years with mine! Best fix I found for that was fit in a B&M quickshifter without lubing it up - no chance of getting that in reverse by mistake - it needed two hands when it was first done! Much better when it was lubed though!

One year later my left arm was like Popeye - probably good as they needed evening up :lol:

You guys must really give that gearstick some force to accidentally get reverse? Don't think I ever managed that in three years with mine! Best fix I found for that was fit in a B&M quickshifter without lubing it up - no chance of getting that in reverse by mistake - it needed two hands when it was first done! Much better when it was lubed though!

One year later my left arm was like Popeye - probably good as they needed evening up :lol:

What's an Aristo v300?

The IS200 reverse selection is just to the left of first gear and has the same light selection of all IS200 gears. So when you move off you have to make darn sure you are in 1st or you will have an extremely embarrasing shunt. This is more possible if you have the excellent sound system on and you can't hear the beeper.

What's an Aristo v300?

The IS200 reverse selection is just to the left of first gear and has the same light selection of all IS200 gears. So when you move off you have to make darn sure you are in 1st or you will have an extremely embarrasing shunt. This is more possible if you have the excellent sound system on and you can't hear the beeper.

Yeah I had an IS for a few years before the Aristo I've got now mate :)

The Toyota Aristo V300 is a Japanese only model - basically it's a Lexus GS chassis - but with the 2JZ-GTE 3 litre twin turbo engine as found in the Supra! In Japan the car is a Toyota Aristo and rebadged as the Lexus GS in Europe. Same situation as the Toyota Altezza AS200 and Lexus IS200. Easily modified cars these Aristos, and quite a lot of fun as no-one ever expects them to go quite as quick as they do!

Was advertised as 350bhp when I bought it, and since then I've added a GReddy FMIC and other bits and bobs, not sure of the figure now. Needs new turbos now though which luckily I've got sat in the boot as we speak :)

1. Err 3

2. Clutch judder

3. Corroed alloys

I would say power but to be fair I do moan about it alot, but when i first got the car 3/4 years ago I felt it was very quick although i only had a Clio 1.2 to compare it to ;) lol.. I've just grown out of this car..

• 4 weeks later...