Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speeding

johnboy

That sends the right message to the people who speed. I drive through country roads back and forth from work and trust me, the amount of accidents i have avoided (touch wood) because i kept well below the speed limit. I get people who speed past me, only for them to see me behind them again because theres always tractors, large trucks, people on bikes, people walking, road work lights etc and i bet they feel like a right numpty. There so much to lose if you end up in an accident that it WILL out weigh everything you have shown by speeding.

That is a pretty serious production. Is from Denmark? I thought our road safety vids were hardcore but that is pretty serious going. It does make the point well though, can't do any harm that they chose a haunting sountrack courtesy of Evanescence.

That is a pretty serious production. Is from Denmark? I thought our road safety vids were hardcore but that is pretty serious going. It does make the point well though, can't do any harm that they chose a haunting sountrack courtesy of Evanescence.

Australia...........................

I love australian car safety ads, they're really powerful and entertaining at the same time...........

While the message is true, it's a little distorted. Why are narrow twisty country lanes national speed yet we can only do 70 on the motorway?

I've said a it a few times before, but speed is not necessarily the factor (as modern cars can stop pretty quickly), it's concentration - and that was highlighted by many of the examples in that video.

At the end of the day, there is a difference between speeding and recklessness, and the reckless ones are not going to stop because of an advert. Did anyone see the top gear with mika hakkinen and how they teach driving in Finland?

A stricter driving test is the start of the solution..........

Welcome to the non-sugar coated world of driving today.

In terms of car safety you can have the latest traction controll systems, ABS, ESP, Collision avoidence, more airbags than a carnival and all the computing power available to man but if you have got the equilivant of Forest Gump at the wheel, then none of it is any good.

A stricter driving test will certainly not cure a problem of speeding. Most of the lads I taught would drive round for all of their lessons with a halo over their heads. They would never speed, anticipation is spot on. They would go for a driving test and come back with only a couple of minor faults. Give them two weeks on their own and they are doing exactly what Mum and Dad do behind the wheel. Tailgating, speeding, mind on other things etc. The problem doesn't stem from learning to drive or tougher driving tests. It starts from the first time they see the way the parents drive. They will listen to their parents more about learning to drive than they will me. Most driving instructors are seen as a way of just getting through a driving test. Once that's done, job's a goodun, they'll do what they want. Constant assesments and tuition through a persons driving career is what is needed not just a harder driving test.

Welcome to the non-sugar coated world of driving today.

In terms of car safety you can have the latest traction controll systems, ABS, ESP, Collision avoidence, more airbags than a carnival and all the computing power available to man but if you have got the equilivant of Forest Gump at the wheel, then none of it is any good.

A stricter driving test will certainly not cure a problem of speeding. Most of the lads I taught would drive round for all of their lessons with a halo over their heads. They would never speed, anticipation is spot on. They would go for a driving test and come back with only a couple of minor faults. Give them two weeks on their own and they are doing exactly what Mum and Dad do behind the wheel. Tailgating, speeding, mind on other things etc. The problem doesn't stem from learning to drive or tougher driving tests. It starts from the first time they see the way the parents drive. They will listen to their parents more about learning to drive than they will me. Most driving instructors are seen as a way of just getting through a driving test. Once that's done, job's a goodun, they'll do what they want. Constant assesments and tuition through a persons driving career is what is needed not just a harder driving test.

I like the idea of the constant assessments make a driving license like a passport so it has to be renewed, just make sure the dvla and goverment dont make it punitive.

I am still not convinced speeding is the biggest problem though, i think a general lack of awareness of the situations and not driving to the conditions of the road is the problem. I have seen so many sets of blue lights on the M6 and A14 today its unreal.

I can hold my hands up and say yes i do drive too fast according to the signposts at times, however i back off if it becomes congested or becomes residential etc. Perhaps the uk needs a north, midlands and south nurburgring. Convert the toll road and make some money out of it for a change ;) .

But at the end of the day the one thing that makes me behave when it isn't just myself i am going to hurt, is the fact i have a son and a daughter and what i would do to anyone who hit them with a car

While I totally respect your opinion as a driving instructor, I have to disagree with you. What I'm talking about by the stricter test is teach people how to actually "drive" rather how to follow the rules of the road.

If people had a better understanding of what a car will do when it loses control, then they'll be less stupid when they're on the road. It's often most people have no idea about how a car will react unless they get caught out on the road, at which time it can be catastrophic.

There was a story in our local paper this week about two 17 year olds that crashed (quite horrifically) on a dual carriageway near us, one died at the scene the other is in a critical condition. This happened in the middle of the night when there was no traffic about either. Worst part was they weren't wearing seatbelts so I guess to a certain extent you can't do anything about that sort of stupidity.

I'm not sure if anyone else felt the same but I was really impressed when I saw the way they teach driving in Finland, it really was unbelievable and looks like a lot of fun too, but if you teach every driver the skills of a rally driver, it should make them better on the roads too.

2006 UK figures:

"The 'contributory factors to road accidents report', the first of its kind, showed a total of 147,509 accidents last year.

Of these five per cent, or 7,314, had breaking the speed limit as a factor. This rose to 12 per cent, or 325, for accidents which ended in a fatality.

The police deciding the driver was going too fast for the conditions was a factor in a further 10 per cent of all accidents, or 15,436, and in 14 per cent of those ending in a death, or 357."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-40...peed-limit.html

Many of those ending in fatality had other factors involved, drink, drugs, stolen cars etc.

The 'too fast for the conditions' reference means that the driver was *not* exceeding the posted limit.

Exceeding the posted limits is not a major contributory factor in accident stats, not even a minor factor compared to driving without due care and attention.

I've heard a lot of stories recently about people driving while on Ketamine - how would the police test for stuff like that - I'm guessing they'd have to take a blood sample and then test for every possible narcotic going?

Every car that I've seen stopped has been for speeding yet bad driving just seems to be something we're supposed to accept!

I've heard a lot of stories recently about people driving while on Ketamine - how would the police test for stuff like that - I'm guessing they'd have to take a blood sample and then test for every possible narcotic going?

Every car that I've seen stopped has been for speeding yet bad driving just seems to be something we're supposed to accept!

They can swab test but i don't know if they do

Speed alone is not the problem, it is inappropriate speed with regard to road conditions, weather, traffic volumes, driving experience, vehicle being driven, visibility. 70 mph on a clear motorway is totally different to 70 mph on a busy motorway in pouring rain with spray and standing water( as I encountered on M6 this morning going to M62/M57 junction.)

70 mph on a clear motorway is totally different to 70 mph on a busy motorway in pouring rain with spray and standing water( as I encountered on M6 this morning going to M62/M57 junction.)

I spent a lot of my earlier years racing round forests (legally) in all sorts of conditions. But I get more worried travelling in a high speed traffic jam than I ever did then. Maybe it's because I'm older, but people do drive too fast for the conditions very frequently!!

that film makes you think, but its not always about the speed that you may do it doesnt help when people dont look where tere going or check the road as shown with the boy and the mobile phone in that clip nothing shows the van was speeding (not saying it wasnt) but still if the guylooked instead of txting he would have been ok etc etc

Alot of motorists out there seem to see driving as one of life's necessasry evils which has to be done. When it is thought of like that then it tends to be done badly my the majority. Driving is a task within itself and it is up to all of us to make sure that we drive to the best of our ability. Many people say they have bad habits which have gotten worse over years. To me this is just laziness and an improper attitude to driving.

I teach my pupils all about car controll in terms of what the car is doing under braking, accelerating and cornering. I use the book Roadcraft on my lessons as well as official DSA publications. I can use all of this material till I'm blue in the face but I'd be lucky that one in ten take it away with them. People see driving as a right but it is certainly a privilage that gets abused an awfull lot. It is somthing we all whitness on a daily basis.

Teaching starts at home. If your children are in the car, make sure you drive to a high standard. Your children will be watching and will learn more about driver attitude from yourselve's than what they will from any driving instructor. People will learn by example from other motorists as well. If someone cuts you up, don't take offence to it. Let them in and carry on with your journey. People will see this and will more likely to react to the same situation the same way that you have.

Speeding in my opinion has only a small part to play in accidents (or collisions as Plod apparently reffer to them now). Attitude towards driving needs to change before any real difference can be made in my opinion. The courses are there for everybody to do from the IAM to ROSPA. You join the local club for roughly £20 but then your lessons are free. Even if you don't take the test at the end, at least you have taken steps to improve your driving. Remember too that the L test is the bare minimum requirement that you need to be able to drive on the road. It does not make anyone an expert in the driving field. We all have somthing to learn which can make a huge difference out there.

Jim.

I teach my pupils all about car controll in terms of what the car is doing under braking, accelerating and cornering. I use the book Roadcraft on my lessons as well as official DSA publications. I can use all of this material till I'm blue in the face but I'd be lucky that one in ten take it away with them. People see driving as a right but it is certainly a privilage that gets abused an awfull lot. It is somthing we all whitness on a daily basis.

Jim.

The attrocious driving which I encountered on the M6 earlier included a "RED" driving school car being driven at high speed with rear foglight on, changing lanes without any form of indication. I have seen this type of driving by other SoM cars previously. If all driving instructors were like you appear to be then maybe driving standards would improve. Whilst I appreciate that ALL? drivers, including myself, make errors I do feel that if instructors in marked SoM cars are driving in a manner showing scant regard for both their own and others safety then what hope can we have for road safety.

Jim.

The attrocious driving which I encountered on the M6 earlier included a "RED" driving school car being driven at high speed with rear foglight on, changing lanes without any form of indication. I have seen this type of driving by other SoM cars previously. If all driving instructors were like you appear to be then maybe driving standards would improve. Whilst I appreciate that ALL? drivers, including myself, make errors I do feel that if instructors in marked SoM cars are driving in a manner showing scant regard for both their own and others safety then what hope can we have for road safety.

I see driving like that every day from other instructors. It is such a shame because the driving instruction industry could be so good but there are so many people out there who are more interested in making a quick buck than making a difference to road safety. To make matters worse the lady who is currently running the Driving Standards Agency doesn't have any other driving qualifications other than a standard driving licence. It is an industry that I will soon be leaving as I feel that I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. Attitudes are somthing that I can't change alone.