Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does My Car Need To Be Wim'd?

As some of you may know my car is in the bodyshop at the moment since last thursday and they finally got round to starting work on it today. Anyway, I popped over to the bodyshop to have a look at the car and with the front stripped down I noticed that the inside of the drivers side front tyre is worn really badly. Can someone tell me why this is? Is this the problem that I should be looking out for when it comes to the wrong standard Geometry setup?

After seeing this it defo means I'll need a new tyre on the front when I get the car back but i'm guessing I'll need to get the geometry done as well.

Tony could you please advise me mate?

Your car has been in a front end smash, so no matter if the car had premature tyre wear issues in the past or not, it is in my opinion mandatory for it to have a full geometry check, even if you were told the car had no or little suspension damage. Like others have said all IS200/300's really should have the geometry check regardless, but more so in your case due to the accident.

Since you are from a similar area as myself, your closest geometry centre is Drury Lane in Oldham; just take the WIM settings with you or of course if you can make the trip to WIM then do so :)

Hope that helps.

Anees :)

Thanks a lot everyone. I was going to get the geometry done either way when the car was sorted not just due to the oem settings being wrong but due the the accident damage.

Whats Drury Lane like anees? Have you used them before? I've seen them mentioned on the accord owners club before but dont know if anyones used them before. How much does it cost to get the geometry done?

They are very good and they use the wim settings but please try to get an up front price from them...

Recently their prices have gone through the roof, which i'm not happy with and i expressed this to Paul the owner who could not explain why the prices have changed.

I feel a national average fair price to calibrate the IS200/300 is £120, there's no reason why it should cost more.

See this thread for one example of a LOC member taking their car to Drury Lane. A search for "Drury Lane" will turn up more.

The thing with that thread is that I wrote most of it before I spoke to Tony a bit more and realised they'd overcharged me compared to his rates. This put me off Drury Lane a bit. After all it was WIM/Tony that took the time to come up with these settings in the first place, so for somewhere else to use his work and charge more than him is taking the biscuit IMO.

I'd either haggle up front and get a fixed price with Drury Lane (I didn't and regret this now), or just head down to WIM. I think I could have gone to Tony AND paid all my fuel for less than or the same as what DL charged me. In future I'll take my car to WIM even though it's a long way...

This is where i express a word of caution..... I have every respect for DL but question the sudden change in fee's... As a result i contacted Paul and questioned the rise but he couldn't offer a reasonable explanation.

DL in my opinion are one of the best in the UK for domestic calibration but "get an up-front price", that way no one's disappointed/ surprised.

If I do use them then will defo get an upfront price. I'm not sure if this is the right area but, I went to see my car today and its progressed a lot, especially with the jig work. Car is perfectly straight now and just needs tidying up a bit then putting back together and spraying but as I posted in Paradroid's thread, my front passenger wheel is back in the arch a bit. I noticed this previously but the garage have also noticed it and said it could be a bent subframe. Could anyone shed any light on this? Tony, maybe you could help?

When did these new prices come in?

I went about 7 months ago to see them with the Aristo and I got charged just £40 + Vat for the check and I think one adjustment at £16.50.

After I had my new suspension fitted (coilovers, lowered etc) I went to see them again (this was about 2 - 3 months ago) and I got charged £94 all in, that was to adjust the whole car.