Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some Advise Please

TommyH

Hi guys, have a bit of a problem, well my son has. Yesterday my son bumped a car in town. The problem is, he got 3 points on his licence 4 weeks ago and didnt tell his insurance company. We,re going to the guys house today to sort things out.

The question is, is it up to the guy he bumped into, to decide if HE wants it through insurance, or can we pay a garage to get his car fixed, without notifying the insuarance company, as my son's exccess is £400.

Hope this makes sense? Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy

:nugget:

I'm really not sure what to suggest that you do. I believe that you are obliged to report the accident to your insurance company, whether you put the claim through them or not. The guy who he bumped into might have already told his insurance company (who will then contact your son's insurance company) anyway.

Good luck.

If the guy agrees, I don't see any problem with just getting it fixed privately and not telling insurance (although technically you are supposed to)

Or just ring them up and tell them both, I doubt they'll kick up a fuss about 3 points as it doesn't as it doesn't usually affect the premium anyway.

I would advise telling your insurance company straight away about any points. With all due respect, if an insurance company finds out afterwards, saying "some policeman told me it would be ok not to tell you" might not carry a lot of weight with them.

Tommy I don't think your son will be in big trouble. I think he should phone up the insurance company ASAP and tell them about the points. Then sort out yourselves what you're going to do about the accident, speak to the other guy involved and sort it out privately if you want. But you should probably then still tell your insurance company about the accident. I suspect it will work out ok.

I dont think its a problem about the points. when i got three points a few years back. The police told me not to bother telling them tll my renewal.

That sounds well dodgy as surely it would immediately give the insurer the ability to not become liable if you have any accidents etc?

The insurance company will add the points to your policy but you won't have to pay any extra untill the renewal qoute is worked out best to tell them straight away........

I had a simmilar situation a few months back were someone reversed into me in a car park they were very apologetic and offered to cover the cost of any damage

I got the car inspected had a qoute drawn up £350ish sent it to the guy he phoned me to say that the qoute was far to expensive and we should go through the insurance

Insurance companys contacted and a slap on the wrist for not reporting it immidatly they said they were within their rights to reject the claim and cancell the policy

Just be carfull its not always as clear cut as it looks it depends on the person he hit wether they are genuine or want to take you for a ride...

Good Luck

I dont think its a problem about the points. when i got three points a few years back. The police told me not to bother telling them tll my renewal.

That sounds well dodgy as surely it would immediately give the insurer the ability to not become liable if you have any accidents etc?

Didnt matter much anyway as i got another 3 and had to retake my test shortly after :(

ah the joys of being young.

Thanks for all the info guys, im just back from seeing the guy and he was really good about it. Basically i grovelled to him that i would lose my no claims discount as my son is on my policy, anyway he said that he'd be happy for me to get the car fixed for him,

RELIEVED, also phoned the insurance company and told them about the 3 points, they took £53.

So things worked out quite well and my son is still picking the fleas out his ear, LESSON LEARNED i hope,

Thanks guys,

Tommy