Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ram Vs System Recovery

Parthiban

Chuck the memory in first so that the recovery will go quicker as any potential paging will be reduced :)

Cool, didn't think of that. Thought it was a stupid question (and probably still is) but glad I asked now, thanks :)

I'm stuck with the recovery now - I've got an HP pc with no recovery discs, just the partition on the hard drive.

I basically installed Vista a few months ago, now I'm trying to go back to XP, which I thought would be fine as I left the partition in place. However, now it won't access it as it's looking for a Vista recovery.............

Is there a way to start the recovery without using the F10 on start up approach?

I'm stuck with the recovery now - I've got an HP pc with no recovery discs, just the partition on the hard drive.

I basically installed Vista a few months ago, now I'm trying to go back to XP, which I thought would be fine as I left the partition in place. However, now it won't access it as it's looking for a Vista recovery.............

Is there a way to start the recovery without using the F10 on start up approach?

vista is quite insiduous for this reason. It tends not to let you back to earlier versions. I trialed vista for mr gates before release and found when i came to take it off i had to format the system completely. If you are really stuck and need proper discs give me a pm and i'll sort you out

vista is quite insiduous for this reason. It tends not to let you back to earlier versions. I trialed vista for mr gates before release and found when i came to take it off i had to format the system completely. If you are really stuck and need proper discs give me a pm and i'll sort you out

Cheers, I'll let you know if I can't figure it out. Is there a way to clear the drive except for the partition and then would I be able to boot from it?

Assuming Vista is still using the old ntldr and boot.ini can you actually get into Vista at all to change the default? Other option is boot with something like Knoppix or any Linux LiveCD with NTFS write support and edit the boot.ini file manually and see if that makes any difference?

Just a guess though as not used Vista yet!

Doesn't look like it does - may be worth having a nosey at this:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t411005.html

Is that talking about if you have both OSs installed? I only have vista installed, and the partition just has the xp recovery stuff on it. The stuff I've found on the web hasn't been promising though, wish I had made actual recovery discs before installing vista :crybaby:

I hate to say this, but I think you're going to be in trouble :crybaby:

If you've got a recovery partition then that will be designed to be used from XP. If you haven't got any XP install discs or recovery discs, then I'm not sure it's going to work. I wouldn't have thought you could boot from that recovery partition (since I wouldn't think it's a proper XP installation as such), but I hope I'm wrong !

OK I'm a bit confused now. Having spoken to HP customer support (who are very effective and respond ridiculously quickly, even on a Sunday btw!) they also confirmed that it wouldn't be possible to boot from the partition from Vista. However, they said I'd need to format the entire hard drive and then purchase some recovery discs (as I hadn't created my own :crybaby: ) and then all should be fine.

However, in the frame of not buying the discs if I don't need them, I downloaded a cracked copy of XP assuming I'd be able to install that and then boot from my partition.

The first phase of this worked perfectly, and the hacked copy of XP is up and running fine on my machine. However, when I reboot and hit F10 for system recovery, it no longer does anything!

The only possible reason I can think of for this is that it has now called my partition drive H instead of drive D (which is what it used to be). Is that likely to be the cause, and if so what do I need to do to get it back to D?

OK I'm a bit confused now. Having spoken to HP customer support (who are very effective and respond ridiculously quickly, even on a Sunday btw!) they also confirmed that it wouldn't be possible to boot from the partition from Vista. However, they said I'd need to format the entire hard drive and then purchase some recovery discs (as I hadn't created my own :crybaby: ) and then all should be fine.

However, in the frame of not buying the discs if I don't need them, I downloaded a cracked copy of XP assuming I'd be able to install that and then boot from my partition.

The first phase of this worked perfectly, and the hacked copy of XP is up and running fine on my machine. However, when I reboot and hit F10 for system recovery, it no longer does anything!

The only possible reason I can think of for this is that it has now called my partition drive H instead of drive D (which is what it used to be). Is that likely to be the cause, and if so what do I need to do to get it back to D?

Vista is indeed the devils work isn't it. Do you want that disc as you'll be running out of time to get it pre xmas otherwise

Vista is indeed the devils work isn't it. Do you want that disc as you'll be running out of time to get it pre xmas otherwise

Cheers again for the offer but I figured it out in the end and all is now well.

After I started to not care anymore, I realised that in disk management there is an option to make the partition "active" so thought I'd give it a go - after doing that the F10 worked and I could boot from the partition.

All restored now and working fine - must admit that XP with 3GB of RAM is blisteringly quick compared to Vista :whistling:

Thanks everyone for all the help :)