Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

C~r=eak~ing Dashboard !ahhhh!

Hi ALL<

Recently upgraded from a Mark 2 GS300 Sport to a 2005 M3 GS300 se-l.

My 9 year old gs didn't have a rattle or a squeak!!

My new GS rattles like a guddon. Noise is coming from the passenger side top dash area.

Have been on the USA Forum and there are huge threads of people who seem to have the same issue, many saying it has something to do with the "white windscreen clips".

My car is out of warranty so if anyone has any suggestions on how to irradicate this rattle, I would be most greatful.

In pursuit of perfection?!?!?!-------o dear :crybaby:

As this is a known problem on the new IS and GS range, my only guess is that Lexus will be willing to rectify this. Do you have a work history of the vehicle? Do you know if there has been an attempted fix of the rattle? Discuss it with your local Lexus centre and if nothing sensible comes out, contact Lexus directly.

I had the IS 200 years back which was known to have CD and corrosion problems. Lexus replaced the CD without any hussle after the warranty run out and the warranty on the CD player was also extended.

Good luck

Philip

There is good news and there is bad......

Good news is it is a known problem - 1st stage is to add padding at back of dash and mess with the scuttle plate fixings. Stage 2 if needed is to fully remove the dash!

Bad news is it is not 100% guaranteed to work. I bought a new GS430 Nov 2005 and even after treatment it still creaked - Lexus very kindly gave me another car.

I am talking Creaking rather than rattles.

.....and it is more noticed when it is cold.

I see that many of our American chums are resorting to fixing the problem themselves by inserting

various materials between the windscreen and dash. (see U.S Forums)

I still think it's more than a joke that this should be happening on 3rd generation Lexi.....

......apart from that.........It is a cracking Car :whistling:

Despite al the technicall innovations, I still think that my 9 years old GS mk2 is better than my 3 years old GS mk3. The mk2 is so quiet and comfortable and the steering feels better. They seem to be a different class. The mk 3 seems to be more Toyota.

I agree with you JCC.

I traded in a 1999 GS Sport. Felt like you were driving a fine quality car.......Sadly missed. :crybaby:

I Have had the new GS for a week or so.....and although a good car....it's doesn't seem to be up to the old Lexus Standards......could almost be similar to driving a top of the range ford or vauxhall!!!!

I think my next move will be to either BMW or Mercedes.....I wonder if Lexus would be happy to service one of these for me?

MErry .XmAs.

I think my next move will be to either BMW or Mercedes.....I wonder if Lexus would be happy to service one of these for me?

I don't see why not - just don't forget your vaseline :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had the same annoying creak coming from the general area of the passenger side dash speaker.

Thinking that the creak was coming from the speaker cover I removed it several times, tried padding it with felt and other materials but nothing worked. The last

time I removed the speaker itself which is held with two hex bolts and was suprised to find the famous White Clip directly below the speaker. (I thought it could only be accessed by removing the dash). By pressing lightly on the white plastic clip I found that I could exactly reproduce the annoying creak. I sprayed the white plastic clip with silicone, pressed it again and the creak had gone.

Don't know how long the silicone will last but at present the car is creak free.

With the speaker removed I also noticed that there were two plastic heater

pipes which were running very tight to each other so I sprayed them as well and wedged

a small piece of sponge between them, just in case they decide to join in the chorus.

• 11 months later...
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but the pot holes round my area have loosened something up on the car , and the creaking is quite loud, TonyB your describing exactly what I have got , did you get this fixed in the end?

There is a fix from Lexus but quite pricey, i have a slight squeak too, only when cold though. Look at the month the post was started. I think the plastics shrink when cold and squeak and when warm all is ok.

yeah you could be right there mate, i havent had the car long, so was a little concerned, guess i'll get back to worrying about the front inner tyre wear...

That sounds like tracking!

For the squeaking dash, a cheap fix is to try and locate where it's coming from and squirt some silicone spray into the area, not WD40, it stinks!

I tried this and it cured it for a while. I would wait for warmer weather though, it should stop rattling.

I have a strange noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel, like a solid clicking noise, dunno if anyone else has had this as it can be annoying at times, on a mk1 gs.