Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Weird One

McLean

The story so far . . . (first episode posted in Electronics Forum early November)

Went out to the SC one Sunday morning six weeks ago and found the Battery was flat (it's only a few months old) as a proverbial pancake. The Battery checked out OK at the dealer first thing Monday, so I recharged it and connected it back up on the Tuesday morning. I was wondering if I'd maybe switched off the ignition on Saturday afternoon before the unit had completely finished its cycle, so I pulled the radio fuse from under the bonnet to reset the unit and then replaced it. When it powered up, the unit did reset itself and cycled through the six trays OK (thanks again for the tip DJ Wozza!) and it's been fine since. (Before I'd pulled the radio fuse, I'd noticed the Climate Control Unit panel background lights were lit even though the ignition was off - but thought no more of it.)

No more problems till yesterday morning (Sunday again thankfully) when b*gger me if the same thing didn't happen again.

Same symptom - flat Battery overnight. But this time I hadn't touched the radio unit on Saturday afternoon. Recharged the Battery and found the CCU panel background lights were lit. Pulled and replaced the radio fuse - but the background lights are staying on arrrgh!

You usually hear a kind of 'ping' sound when the ignition is switched off - but that's not happening at the moment (can other owners confirm?). I now suspect it's a sticky relay somewhere - question is it in the CCU, in the radio, or under the dash somewhere.

Looking for some fault finding steers from the experts to get to the bottom of it.

Meanwhile the radio fuse is staying out!

Thanks in anticipation.

Guest inicol63
The story so far . . . (first episode posted in Electronics Forum early November)

Went out to the SC one Sunday morning six weeks ago and found the battery was flat (it's only a few months old) as a proverbial pancake. The battery checked out OK at the dealer first thing Monday, so I recharged it and connected it back up on the Tuesday morning. I was wondering if I'd maybe switched off the ignition on Saturday afternoon before the unit had completely finished its cycle, so I pulled the radio fuse from under the bonnet to reset the unit and then replaced it. When it powered up, the unit did reset itself and cycled through the six trays OK (thanks again for the tip DJ Wozza!) and it's been fine since. (Before I'd pulled the radio fuse, I'd noticed the Climate Control Unit panel background lights were lit even though the ignition was off - but thought no more of it.)

No more problems till yesterday morning (Sunday again thankfully) when b*gger me if the same thing didn't happen again.

Same symptom - flat battery overnight. But this time I hadn't touched the radio unit on Saturday afternoon. Recharged the battery and found the CCU panel background lights were lit. Pulled and replaced the radio fuse - but the background lights are staying on arrrgh!

You usually hear a kind of 'ping' sound when the ignition is switched off - but that's not happening at the moment (can other owners confirm?). I now suspect it's a sticky relay somewhere - question is it in the CCU, in the radio, or under the dash somewhere.

Looking for some fault finding steers from the experts to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Funny thing there mate however i too had a flat Battery two weeks ago even though i purchased a new Battery from Lexus in March.

I still don't know why mine went flat.

Beneath the radio your find another ecu not sure what this managers, i know it runs a few items such as the wheels buzzer ad sensors, but other than that i not sure, you can pull the plug to see if this can reset after reconnecting.

If you need advice to how to get to this drop me a pm.

Normally it the boot lights that drain most batteries as these are the ones we can not see that we have left on....

Good luck with fixing but don't waste your money with Lexus go to a auto electrician.

It is quite unusally for these car alternator to go as they are very high powered for these cars.

Ian

Went out to the SC one Sunday morning six weeks ago and found the battery was flat (it's only a few months old) as a proverbial pancake. The battery checked out OK at the dealer first thing Monday, so I recharged it and connected it back up on the Tuesday morning. I was wondering if I'd maybe switched off the ignition on Saturday afternoon before the unit had completely finished its cycle, so I pulled the radio fuse from under the bonnet to reset the unit and then replaced it. When it powered up, the unit did reset itself and cycled through the six trays OK (thanks again for the tip DJ Wozza!) and it's been fine since. (Before I'd pulled the radio fuse, I'd noticed the Climate Control Unit panel background lights were lit even though the ignition was off - but thought no more of it.)

Same symptom - flat battery overnight. But this time I hadn't touched the radio unit on Saturday afternoon. Recharged the battery and found the CCU panel background lights were lit. Pulled and replaced the radio fuse - but the background lights are staying on arrrgh!

Thanks in anticipation.

Funny thing there mate however i too had a flat Battery two weeks ago even though i purchased a new Battery from Lexus in March.

I still don't know why mine went flat.

Beneath the radio your find another ecu not sure what this managers, i know it runs a few items such as the wheels buzzer ad sensors, but other than that i not sure, you can pull the plug to see if this can reset after reconnecting.

If you need advice to how to get to this drop me a pm.

Normally it the boot lights that drain most batteries as these are the ones we can not see that we have left on....

Good luck with fixing but don't waste your money with Lexus go to a auto electrician.

It is quite unusally for these car alternator to go as they are very high powered for these cars.

Ian

Whereabouts is that ECU - can you see it on the recent photos on Mighty's Err3 post? Is it the "ECU-ACC" item?

Guest inicol63

You may just see the Lead that goes to the TPS unit it has two plugs on one is small the other is larger just pull them and re connect, only thing you need to worry about is taking your time.

Drop me your email and i send you instruction if this helps.

Ian

You may just see the Lead that goes to the TPS unit it has two plugs on one is small the other is larger just pull them and re connect, only thing you need to worry about is taking your time.

Drop me your email and i send you instruction if this helps.

Ian

Thanks for the offer Ian - I've PM'd you.

Another interesting symptom:

Starting with the radio fuse in, the engine running, and the SATNAV screen open - I switched off the ignition.

Not only did the Climate Control panel backlights stay bright, but the SATNAV screen didn't stow itself.

So something's getting stuck (relay?) or there's a loose connection in there somewhere.

Anyone got the section of the SC430 wiring schematic that includes those components?