Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Deal With The Devil...

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say there is only a few people who can say they have turbocharged lexus is200's (plural)

TDI-PLC

Charlesworth Motors

A couple of others have done one ...sam with the black IS lives in MK and used a company from there. You may want to drop him a PM as I believe he had a few issues

Other one escapes me..........

I think I did once see something saying the IS200 gearbox could handle up to 400 bhp - Mat Clawley is the guy who will be able to tell you definitively though.

Not sure if the 2JZ would mate up to it though?

Also with that sort of power if the box would take it you'd need a serious clutch upgrade otherwise you'd destroy that on a regular basis!

It would probably be more cost effective to just get the correct gearbox if it would fit - would you be using just the factory ECU or an aftermarket one as that would also potentially limit you if you stay at stock?

I'd be very careful with this.

If you read GSsportcars thread about fitting the 2jz-gte engine into his IS200 theres a lot of issues you wont consider till your halfway through.

Is the cost set for the conversion? cause i doubt it and it could very well spiral out of control if yours not careful.

I also wouldnt think the is200 box would be up to the job. You'd need at least the W58 (i think) 5 speed supra box but theur not rated very highly either. The auto boxes are meant to be good but the best ones are the Getrag 6speeds, but they are very expensive when you can find them.

Alsothe ECU, i assume the standard one? i would have thought you'd be best going with some sort of Standalone ECU (AEM, LINK, etc).

Just my thoughts.

After having a chat with a few of my customers, they have sent me to one of their tuners to get some more ideas about what to do about the lack of power in my car, this sitee is a fantastic resourse but an indipendant opinion is always necessary when spending thousands of £'s. This garage have turboed and charged several IS200's, but after a chat about whats possible I think this is the plan.......

They have an empty 3L Supra block and ALL the bits and pieces including ECU, uncut Loom, Turbo, etc just needs building (pistons and crank, head etc). So it will be a re-built unit also.

They are willing to fit the engine into my IS for just less than the cost of the pro-lex S/C conversion but only if the standard IS gearbox is used. Will this work, or is the IS gearbox made of toffee like the engine internals? They think the box will fit (or can be made to fit) the engine but I would just like some confirmation before stripping a perfectly good (but high mile) engine apart. If it is a non starter then Pro-Lex have a SC customer.

Any advice???

I wont' say who is doing the work until it is a reality as that is only fair to the company.

If it's TDI then please just read the other threads and dont waste your money ;) Having said that Sams one isnt working at the moment either, so i suppose you have to take a gamble either way going down these sort of routes..

You mention the Pro-Lex SC is this the Lysom one they haven't managed to do yet on the other chaps car from France?

Buy a Supra would be the cheapest option :tomato:

After having a chat with a few of my customers, they have sent me to one of their tuners to get some more ideas about what to do about the lack of power in my car, this sitee is a fantastic resourse but an indipendant opinion is always necessary when spending thousands of £'s. This garage have turboed and charged several IS200's, but after a chat about whats possible I think this is the plan.......

They have an empty 3L Supra block and ALL the bits and pieces including ECU, uncut Loom, Turbo, etc just needs building (pistons and crank, head etc). So it will be a re-built unit also.

They are willing to fit the engine into my IS for just less than the cost of the pro-lex S/C conversion but only if the standard IS gearbox is used. Will this work, or is the IS gearbox made of toffee like the engine internals? They think the box will fit (or can be made to fit) the engine but I would just like some confirmation before stripping a perfectly good (but high mile) engine apart. If it is a non starter then Pro-Lex have a SC customer.

Any advice???

I wont' say who is doing the work until it is a reality as that is only fair to the company.

Just out of intrest....how much do you think the pro-lex S/C conversion will cost you :question:

Any advice???

Just out of intrest....how much do you think the pro-lex S/C conversion will cost you :question:

I was thinking this as well the S/C is a very well priced option, is there really a figure you can put on a custom turbo project :( On my comments above I wasn't trying to say the S/C would go "pete tongue" as well if it's come across that way. As brice1ie said his problem was only the loud sound it made, which some people may infact enjoy :) I'm just not aware they fitted any others yet, which I'm sure Dave will tell me.

Any advice???

I was thinking this as well the S/C is a very well priced option, is there really a figure you can put on a custom turbo project :( On my comments above I wasn't trying to say the S/C would go "pete tongue" as well if it's come across that way. As brice1ie said his problem was only the loud sound it made, which some people may infact enjoy :) I'm just not aware they fitted any others yet, which I'm sure Dave will tell me.

Yer thay have had some problems with making inlet/outlet and the induction side, that Dave had not thought about, but i would like to know how much you think this would cost you :question:

Any advice???

If it's TDI then please just read the other threads and dont waste your money ;) Having said that Sams one isnt working at the moment either, so i suppose you have to take a gamble either way going down these sort of routes..

You mention the Pro-Lex SC is this the Lysom one they haven't managed to do yet on the other chaps car from France?

Buy a Supra would be the cheapest option :tomato:

No it is a small company over near B'ham. I think there is a lot of guess work on their behalf as they have never done this conversion before, this is what is worrrying me a little, they say 3 weeks for the fit?

TDI arn't getting hold of my hard earnt until............. well lets not be rude now!! Although they offered to de-cat and fit the Cancom for 1K :shutit:

The standard ECU to be used to keep cost down, its just the gearbox that worries me a lot. It is a great idea but there is something at the back of my mind that sais "this won't work as easyly as it sounds" as it is my daily ride i don't want to be keeping the AA man in business.

Mybe Pro-Lex need another test car? had the Lysham been done then I would just hand over the £'s and job done, but the 1st one was away for a long time and still didn't work, but thats prototyping for you!!

I appreciate the vast knowledge available here so thats why I am running the ideas past you guys. This is no way near a done deal just the latest mad idea to cross my mind I don't want to go down Ells route i.e. a complete strip down and rebuild!!

Ahhhh its a headache so many options!!

Have you tryed ringing the ToyotaGT boys to see what thay say, i think thay are working on something the same (not lexus is200) but Toyota all the same, i think thay could give you better idea of what might be involved mate.

Any advice???

Well I got the price from Prolex 2 weeks ago, so knock £300 off and thats the price for the conversion!!

Knock £300 off what :question: and i price off prolex for what :question: you lost me here mate :duh: Pm if you dont wish to show in public.

There still aren't many turbo'd IS around so I doubt that the small garage near Birmingham has done several, Come to think of it I can't think of a garage that way that has done 1 to my knowledge. Unless you maybe class Thor as birmingham way?

Any advice???

Well I got the price from Prolex 2 weeks ago, so knock £300 off and thats the price for the conversion!!

Knock £300 off what :question: and i price off prolex for what :question: you lost me here mate :duh: Pm if you dont wish to show in public.

Possibly referring to the change in VAT rate? So can work out from that.....

is it me or does it seem the the is300 is easier to turbo than the is200 as seen in america,and if so why is this as many turbo'd is200's seem not to work or have many problems

Are there any Turbo IS200's that work I must ask? lol

is it me or does it seem the the is300 is easier to turbo than the is200 as seen in america,and if so why is this as many turbo'd is200's seem not to work or have many problems

Are there any Turbo IS200's that work I must ask? lol

Yes, the one Dave has from Prolex, deano's, Marcus, and sam's worked when it had oil in the engine, Adie's is being worked/finished soon i think :D

maybe some things arn't ment to be, and yet they take chargers really well. I'm confused!!

The cost is all down to how much power you wanting ? big power, you have to sort the engine inside (pistons & rods), full stop, costs more :duh: