Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Deal With The Devil...

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which i'd assume is the CT20 if its from a tubby??

what sort of power is that likely to provide mate?? i know you were talking about 300 bhp, but didn't think the standard MR2 turbo gave that sort of figure?? do you know what boost you'd be running??

which i'd assume is the CT20 if its from a tubby??

what sort of power is that likely to provide mate?? i know you were talking about 300 bhp, but didn't think the standard MR2 turbo gave that sort of figure?? do you know what boost you'd be running??

300 is a nice safe reliable level of power from this unit, there are loads of GT4's and MR2's running this sort of power on stock internals and turbo, this is not new territory, just the application is a little unusual, thus the time this job is taking. Over 300BHP you start to run the risk of the turbo letting go, which is when you replace it with a different one for higher BHP's.

The standard MR2 turbo would appear to give 242 BHP according to Wikipedia.

According to Yeldarb's post back here, the boost is going to be cranked up (though still staying at a "safe" level) and there will be various tuning carried out, de-catted, etc, which I'm guessing TGT feel confident will give them roughly 300 BHP (they do have a lot of experience with this particular engine).

yep thats what i thought. i know there are loads of SW20's running 300 with standard setup, but preusme you'd have to stick on a different turbo if you wanted to crank more out of her.

wasn't a criticism or doubting whats been said, just wanted to get my head around it a bit more.

rob

No problem I'm having a bad day, no electricity all weekend and then again for most of today, hard to earn a living in the dark.....................

I think the ceramic turbo gets upset if you ask for to much boost, the UK spec GT4 uses a steel one that handles more boost but are rare to find.

• 2 weeks later...

latest:

Lots of fabrication work that was not envisioned in the original plan as far as I know, now things like the prop are in place everything else can be lined up properly, 1mm out at one end of the prop could be 1cm+ at the other end, so nothing could be 100% placed until that was in place. The other bits that needed making are made as far as I am aware (crash bar etc.). The APEXI ECU and Lexus ECU are going back in this week and the dash board and heater matrix (isn't it big!!) are going back in - this is a long job you won't believe haw many bolts and things go in to making up the dash!!

James says it is like one of those jigsaws that can only be built in a certain order without a picture. The water pipes (which all meed to be custom built) for instance can't go in until the down pipe is in, and that can't go in until the engine is in place which can't be done until the prop is in place. The starter needed special attention the position of this was critical to the build and that caused the fabrication that needed the whole dash and interior to be removed, which also could not be finished until the engine was 100% in place). Just a huge list of problems and issues but all with answers. I am reliably informed these issues are now sorted out and it is just the building of the electrical systems etc.

If the final re-build is smooth and the electrics don't through any more surprises there is a slim chance the engine tuners will get their hands on it late next week if they have diary room.

I think one issue may well be the rev counter, going from 6 Cyl to 4 Cyl and the IS200 6Cyl takes its rev counting info from a different place to the 3SGTE that uses a "Dizzy", probably not a real problem but again something that needs to work esp. with a turbo car.

Once they have done what they do I have asked James to keep the car far a few days and run it as his just to ensure everything is as it should, no one wants their car back only to have problems from the out set.

No more pictures as yet, I think we will wait for a finished project!! It has taken a bit longer than we first thought, thats the way of these things and no one really expected the original time guess to be accurate..... did they.......

No I didn't think so :D

why does the interior need to come out to sort the starter?

the starter is by the bell housing....under the car?

Its been moved, because of the turbo's heat radiation and oil lines, they all want to be in the same sort of place. All will be very clear if you see the build, I am not that good at explaining things technical!!

Fuel gauge is no issue as that does not run of any affected systems? however if the eco meter works I will be surprised??????

why does the interior need to come out to sort the starter?

the starter is by the bell housing....under the car?

Its been moved, because of the turbo's heat radiation and oil lines, they all want to be in the same sort of place, so for reliability etc it has been put out of the way. All will be very clear when you see the build, I am not that good at explaining things technical!!

i take it they have cut the prop tunnel then, because they are using the is200 bell housing which puts the starter on the exhaust side of the 3sgte.

if you had ordered the Altezza bell housing it would have located the starter on the other side of the engine.....or, am i still barking up the wrong tree

I think they are using bits from the Altezza bell housing, certainly for the starter mounting, and the starter is indeed under the tunnel, thus interior out to ensure nothing is cut that doesn't want to be... does mean changing it is a bit of a mission, how often does a starter need to be changed though?

..depends, still unsure why they need to modify anything, when 2 different bellhousings are available...one which puts the starter in the correct place to be away from the turbo...maybe GT can elaborate

I am sure they will, as I say I'm not a technical genius so I leave the build to experienced experts.

Thinking about it I think it is the 3S housing not the Altezzas. Not using the Alezzas bell housing could be a budget thing? Again TGT can if they want to, confirm this. So long as it all works thats the main thing.

I am sure they will, as I say I'm not a technical genius so I leave the build to experienced experts.

Thinking about it I think it is the 3S housing not the Altezzas. Not using the Alezzas bell housing could be a budget thing? Again TGT can if they want to, confirm this. So long as it all works thats the main thing.

ah...should have asked if thats what it was...i have...although possibly sold, a brand new Altezza.bellhousing and still have 2 is200 bell housings

Fuel gauge is no issue as that does not run of any affected systems? however if the eco meter works I will be surprised??????

I think you'll find it is affected

The Lexus fuel gauge works by seeing how many times the injectors fire to show its level.

Then every quarter of a tank it compares itself to the senders in the tank to check its right.

http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/IS_98-...e/m_be_0148.pdf

Page 3 of that link.

so it will be affected.

Also are you keeping the dizzy on the 3S engine? i would have thought it'd be easier to control using single point ignition (like the IS200)

Just my two pence

Nope, thats the problem.

They suffer from the same problem in the US with the IS300. And as far as i can find so far theres no definite solution to the problem.

though aparently my electronics guy has an idea. but we'll see.

Stav

So every 1/4 tank the gauge "should" read about right? OK thats not much of an issue. Has Mat got the same problem? or did TDI work a way around the issue?? There are plenty of after market gauges so if necessary one of these can be put in at a later day.

It will sort of work in quarters.

Dave (mini-monster) was telling me it sort of works in quarters.

dont know about Mat's car, but as far as im aware TDi never found a cure for it.

Stav

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links