Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there. I'm new here and after searching a very long time for the right car I found my mint 1997 Champane Gold LS 400 with 80.000 miles on it, full history AND an LPG done last year 1997. A rare find indeed! I'm not used to the width yet and I feel I'm driving a double decker bus. Parking it at Tescos today was a joke as the ***** end stuck out a good bit of the cars length. :blush:

Anyhow, I have a few questions. Perhaps someone can help. My first question is in regards to the key fob boot opener.

In short this is the only thing that doesn't seem to work on the car. I replaced the Battery today in the key fob(s) just in case, but it still won't open with the fob button. I can open it from inside the car but it does bug me abit.

Also I wonder if there is another key to open the boot. Like a service key. I got two keys with the car and both start it up but won't turn the boot lock. Am I missing a key? Any ideas why the fob won't open the boot lock?

Next, it's been quite wet and cold these past days. The car doesn't seem to vent very well and the rear and front windows steam up stright away. My old Pug never done this and in 2 years of using that caar I recon I use the rear window demister once or twice. Why is my Lex steaming up? I shouldn't need to run the A/C and even if I do thats for the front windsreen not really the rear. Short of opening the rear windows is there something to check as I felt yesterday I was driving a mobile sauna bath.

Thanks!

Jeff

In short this is the only thing that doesn't seem to work on the car. I replaced the battery today in the key fob(s) just in case, but it still won't open with the fob button. I can open it from inside the car but it does bug me abit.

just to be sure have you pressed and held the button for 3-5 seconds?

Also I wonder if there is another key to open the boot. Like a service key. I got two keys with the car and both start it up but won't turn the boot lock. Am I missing a key? Any ideas why the fob won't open the boot lock?

does sound like you are missing the master key alright as that opens everything, but if the boot was deadlocked then the you wouldn't be able to open it from inside the car either ...

Next, it's been quite wet and cold these past days. The car doesn't seem to vent very well and the rear and front windows steam up stright away. My old Pug never done this and in 2 years of using that caar I recon I use the rear window demister once or twice. Why is my Lex steaming up? I shouldn't need to run the A/C and even if I do thats for the front windsreen not really the rear. Short of opening the rear windows is there something to check as I felt yesterday I was driving a mobile sauna bath.

A/C will dry out there air too, sounds like the car may have been parked for a good while and has gotten damp from lack of use or there's a leaky seal somewhere, found any damp carpets?

btw ...Welcome to the LOC :)

In short this is the only thing that doesn't seem to work on the car. I replaced the battery today in the key fob(s) just in case, but it still won't open with the fob button. I can open it from inside the car but it does bug me abit.

just to be sure have you pressed and held the button for 3-5 seconds?

does sound like you are missing the master key alright as that opens everything, but if the boot was deadlocked then the you wouldn't be able to open it from inside the car either ...

A/C will dry out there air too, sounds like the car may have been parked for a good while and has gotten damp from lack of use or there's a leaky seal somewhere, found any damp carpets?

btw ...Welcome to the LOC :)

Thanks for the replies. Well wot-dya-no! I held the boot button down and to my delight it popped open Yay :D

About the steam. I've not looked around the car at least for damp. It's not damp, I'm sure of that and that horrible smell of damp isn't present. In the cabin or boot. Believe me I know that smell from other old cars I've had. Could you kindly tell me how to get to the pollon filter and I'll take a look at that. Looking back at the old bills I don't see a pollen filter listed on any of them. How often should that be changed?

The car has been garaged the whole time the previous owners had it. About 3 years. In fact I had to drive it out as the Mrs, who showed me the car didn't dare. "It'd too big for me" she said!

About the master key. Is that just a key that opens the "whole" car. Apart from the boot what else can't I open? Was there from new a 3rd key fob too?

Thanks!

Jeff

hi and wekcome,

the pollen filter is located in the glove box (lower) behind a pull down cover.

if memory serves it just pulls out and in , be sure to look at which way up it is.

steve

I had the same problem the other week with the car misting up inside unless I had the aircon on, discovered the pollen filters were clogged,replaced and now fine.

BTW welcome to LOC

Thanks for that Steve. I got to the filter and it was totally black and full of carp. Have a new one on the way. Thing is I'm off outta the country for Xmas, so I made one for now out of a hoover bag and found some plastic mesh and taped it over the inlet in the motor compartment hopefully this'll do to keep the carp out for a while and I don't recon we have an issue with pollen just now.

thanks.

Jeff