Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Please - Need New Rear Exhaust Silencer Part

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice on finding a replacement part for my Lexus IS200 Sport. The 'rear exhaust silencer' needs to be replaced, and as my car is a 1999T reg I am not sure there is a great deal of point in forking out for one from Lexus as I would assume it will cost me a lot more. Toyota have quoted me £300 incl VAT for the part. Does anyone know of any companies that sell the same/similar part for less, and that wont increase my insurance? I'm guessing it only increases insurance if its counted as a modification?

On a seperate note I have also been told at my last MOT that my CAT will need replacing before it's next MOT as it only passed emmisions by 0.1 :( My local Toyota garage have quoted me £655 + VAT + fitting for a new one! I have found a company that will supply me one for £300 so I will probably use them does that sound a reasonable price for a new CAT? Sadly and much to my surprise that company dont sell the part I also now need for my exhaust or I would buy that from them too.

Any advice/help finding a cheaper replacement than Toyota/Lexus would be gratefully appreciated especially as I am already skint! I am not after anything flash or that will improve performance etc, just the replacement part.

P.S I have no technical knowledge, I will be getting a local mechanic to fit the parts for me, he has already tried two companies he uses for aftermarket parts, he got the me the price for the new CAT which I havent ordered yet, but his suppliers dont do the silencer.

Hi Stevie,

I havent tried a breakers as I thought I might just end up with an old part that will need replacing again soon. I did use a company called 247spares before when I needed a part for replacing the windscreen wiper mechanism. Cost me about half the full price and came from a breakers yard.

I will give the idea some thought, but I think would still prefer to get a new part from someone. Hopefully some people here will point me in the right direction. Why do these things always happen when your broke? lol

Mike.

Have you tried a breaker's ? I would have thought that you could pick up a back box from there for not very much at all.

Someone on this forum may have a standard back box lying about in their shed/garage that they would be willing to sell?, particularly if they have upgraded their standard exhaust system to a performance/aftermarket product.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this I have been told by Toyota that the CAT comes in two parts, and is not the part I first thought! The bit I need is known as the 'Manifold' which apparently has the CAT inside it.

Cant find anyone that makes one of these other than the standard lexus part, so anyone with any information or advice please feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

Mike.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this I have been told by Toyota that the CAT comes in two parts, and is not the part I first thought! The bit I need is known as the 'Manifold' which apparently has the CAT inside it.

Cant find anyone that makes one of these other than the standard lexus part, so anyone with any information or advice please feel free to let me know.

Hmm, ok, so it's the pre-cats that have gone, rather than the main cat. Is the £655 plus VAT you were quoted for a new manifold (including pre-cats) ?

Is it just me or does this sound a bit weird ? Could it be a sensor that's really faulty ? :unsure:

There's a diagram of the various components here

Hi Stevie,

Sadly as I said my tech knowledge is zero on this, so I am already quite confused to start with! lol

According to Toyota there are two parts for the CAT, both amazingly and very weirdly are the same price £654.90 each + VAT & fitting, but they are seperate parts. The part that I need they are calling the 'Manifold' which has the CAT inside it they told me. They are sure that I need it because at it's MOT it only just passed the emmisions test by 0.1 and it's making a noise which is the honeycomb part in the CAT rattling about as it breaks up.

They have told me:

Front CAT converters are both broken up.

MANIFOLD ASSY PART x1 = £654.90 + VAT

GASKET EXHAUST PART x2 8.88 = £17.76 + VAT

Remove and renew exhaust manifold assy = £41.30

The price is horendous for a car which being a 1999 T reg is probably only worth a couple of thousand pounds now.

Thankfully it seems 'Ellz' on here may have the silencer/backbox I need so that will save me on that bit, but this CAT/Manifold business is a nightmare!

Mike.

Hmm, ok, so it's the pre-cats that have gone, rather than the main cat. Is the £655 plus VAT you were quoted for a new manifold (including pre-cats) ?

Is it just me or does this sound a bit weird ? Could it be a sensor that's really faulty ? :unsure:

There's a diagram of the various components here

Yep sounds an awful lot mate as you say the cars not worth much, an when the repairs are this price it's awful I'm going through similar financial issues hope you can find a reasonable priced solution.

Some people on here actually remove the precats on their manifolds to increase performance. Might be worth doing that and won't cost anywhere near as much to pay someone to cut it - removed the precats and then weld it closed again. I alos have a full cat back OEM exhaust sitting in my shed but would want to sell it as a whole and am quite far away.

But if it nearly failed emmisions because it needs a new cat surely removing it will make it worse?

Is what you have the part that I am after? If so how much would you want for it including post, and what condition is it in please? PM me if your interested in selling it.

Cheers.

Mike.

Some people on here actually remove the precats on their manifolds to increase performance. Might be worth doing that and won't cost anywhere near as much to pay someone to cut it - removed the precats and then weld it closed again. I alos have a full cat back OEM exhaust sitting in my shed but would want to sell it as a whole and am quite far away.

I'm suprised that it could fail the emissions test because of a problem with the pre-cats (in the manifold), because some LOC members have deliberately removed those pre-cats, keeping the main cat, and passed the MoT still.

If you have a look at the link in my earlier response, the diagram shows the exhaust manifold towards the top left. This is basically the start of the exhaust system, there's a pipe leading from each cylinder (6 on the IS200), and each of the "banks" of cylinders (two banks of cylinders with three cylinders each) feed into their own pre-cat (i.e. small catalytic converted). This is all the assembly labelled "Exhaust Mainfold (with TWC)" in that diagram.

The manifold then connects onto the main cat, which is shown at the bottom right of that diagram. This is a much bigger cat, which I would presume does the main work in cleaning up the emissions.

Assuming all the diagnosis is correct, then I wonder if the main cat is pretty marginal too ?

Anyone know more about this ?

I think the pre-cats are mainly there to reduce emissions while the main cat comes up to speed - a lot of people with pre-cats removed just usually have a spirited run first to ensure the car is warm when tested, or just keep the revs up for a minute or two and it should sail through I believe :)

Yikes I will be really woried if the other CAT is going too!

Mike.

I'm suprised that it could fail the emissions test because of a problem with the pre-cats (in the manifold), because some LOC members have deliberately removed those pre-cats, keeping the main cat, and passed the MoT still.

If you have a look at the link in my earlier response, the diagram shows the exhaust manifold towards the top left. This is basically the start of the exhaust system, there's a pipe leading from each cylinder (6 on the IS200), and each of the "banks" of cylinders (two banks of cylinders with three cylinders each) feed into their own pre-cat (i.e. small catalytic converted). This is all the assembly labelled "Exhaust Mainfold (with TWC)" in that diagram.

The manifold then connects onto the main cat, which is shown at the bottom right of that diagram. This is a much bigger cat, which I would presume does the main work in cleaning up the emissions.

Assuming all the diagnosis is correct, then I wonder if the main cat is pretty marginal too ?

Anyone know more about this ?

When your main cat is going you will notice. Will start making a really bad sound. Went on my old focus, which thankfully was under some form of warrenty, and it sound very rattly but i had a hole too so was quite loud. I expect the emissiosn test was done when the car was too cold for just the main cat to work. I think the 2 pre cat are there to help when the engine is quite cold. Once warmed up the main cat will then work at full efficiency.

Mike i''ll think about my back box. Not sure i actually want to sell it as might swap my exhaust for it when i sell. Got all my old springs, arbs etc too.

I checked the test result it was done back in June at 12:55pm for my MOT.

Results:

FAST IDLE TEST

FAIL

ITEM ------ ACTUAL---------LIMIT

RPM PASS----2740------- 2500-3000

CO FAIL---0.67%----- 0.30 MAX

HC PASS-----101ppm---- 200 MAX

Lambda ------1.02-------- 0.97-1.03 ONLY JUST PASSED!

PASS

----------------

SECOND FAST IDLE TEST

PASS

ITEM ---------ACTUAL ------LIMIT

RPM PASS----2760------ 2500-3000

CO PASS-----0.10% ---- 0.30 MAX

HC PASS-----40ppm ---- 200 MAX

Lambda 1.01 --- 0.97-1.03 ONLY JUST PASSED!

PASS

----------------

NATURAL IDLE TEST

PASS

ITEM ------ ACTUAL----- LIMIT

RPM PASS --620 ---- 450-1500

CO PASS --0.06%--- 0.50 MAX

OVERALL RESULT EXHAUST EMISSION REST: PASSED

----------------

None of these test results mean much to me as I don't know stuff about cars. Although it does seem judging by the first two results it only just scraped through! Hence why they are telling me I need a new CAT, which I since found out is called the 'Manifold'. grrrr

Mike

Sounds like it's worth getting the emissions test done again, this time with the car well warmed-up beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...
i would be looking at the main cat because many many people have removed the manifold cats and the car still passes the MOT test easily, so it makes absolutly no sense changing your manifold.

ims sure i have the full thing in loft, will check for you