Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Too Far Back In Arch...why?

A short while after I bought my car I noticed that the front passenger wheel sat a bit further back than the drivers side. I discovered that the car had had a slight bump to that side sometime in the past but nothing major so I just thought it might be a wishbone or something like that which controls the wheels position in the arch. Anyway, during the time the car has been in the bodyshop being repaired, the garage also told me about the wheel and said it might be a bent lower subframe but they havent looked at the car and I said it could be suspension.

I'm starting to worry about this issue as I dont want to be stuck with a massive bill when it comes round to fixing it so if someone could help me in this area then it would be much appreciated. What causes these problems and how much would it cost to fix?

A short while after I bought my car I noticed that the front passenger wheel sat a bit further back than the drivers side. I discovered that the car had had a slight bump to that side sometime in the past but nothing major so I just thought it might be a wishbone or something like that which controls the wheels position in the arch. Anyway, during the time the car has been in the bodyshop being repaired, the garage also told me about the wheel and said it might be a bent lower subframe but they havent looked at the car and I said it could be suspension.

I'm starting to worry about this issue as I dont want to be stuck with a massive bill when it comes round to fixing it so if someone could help me in this area then it would be much appreciated. What causes these problems and how much would it cost to fix?

Tony @ WIM would be the best to explain this sort of thing if you need help ;)

Is it visibly further back in the arch? I'm sure that won't be cheap to fix, happened to my brother's car after an accident and he needed quite a lot of the suspension in that corner replaced.

I have seen a car on the machine at WIM, it can detect bent suspension, and even which parts

are actually bent. Then it illustrates the actual part in a diagram on the screen. Impressive !!

Wow, my car's been to WIM but I didn't realise the machine will pick that up itself. It's a relief to know though, since it means my suspension must be ok !

Sorry guys, i've been laid up with a bad back :crybaby:

If the wheel is Geometrically "visibility" set back the car would definitely pull left, additionally the steering will be down to the right. If the car has been involved in an accident but doesn't pull then the reason is the body line (sprung chassis)

In the event the car is pulling then the logical reason would be a bent tie-rod not a bent cross-member, obviously this is an opinion until the chassis is measured.

My car had the same thing. There was no sign of any bodywork repairs on the front end and I spoke to the original owner who confirmed the only "accident" my car has been involved in was a parking scrape to the rear right door.

So I think it's just been kerbed heavily and he'd not realised he'd messed up the suspension.

On my car, the lower wishbone and the tie rod was bent. Also a suspension bracket near the hub.

It cost me a fair bit to get repaired because the components are not cheap, they were £230 ish alone. Plus another few hundred for labour.

Seems like you don't live too far from me, I'm no real expert but seeing as it's happened to my car, and I saw everything while it was on the ramp, I have an idea what to look for. If you want me to take a look at it feel free to bring it over and I'll have a look for you.

I have seen a car on the machine at WIM, it can detect bent suspension, and even which parts

are actually bent. Then it illustrates the actual part in a diagram on the screen. Impressive !!

That's where my technical knowledge on geometry (yer right :o) ends. Over to you Tony :D

That sounds brilliant an 100% why I should go to WIM in the new year :) put it off 2 long

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Well as most of you know the car has been involved in an accident but I did find out that had a slight bump to the passenger side some time in the past which was fixed but I'm quite sure its not the chassis as the car has just been jigged and is perfectly straight but the wheel is visable to be further back in the arch.

I've yet to drive the car properly so will update this thread when I have it on the road to let you know of any pulling to the left but tony what did u mean about the steering itself being down to the right?

To be on the safe side I'll get some quotes on the parts that have been mentioned and take it from there but hope it doesnt end up costing too much.

I've yet to drive the car properly so will update this thread when I have it on the road to let you know of any pulling to the left but tony what did u mean about the steering itself being down to the right?

I'm guessing that Tony means that the steering wheel will be pointing a little to the right when the wheels are in the straight-ahead position, rather than being centred. But I'm sure he'll confirm.

If there is a pull you will need to compensate by holding the wheel RHD..... Fact is you need to drive the car and see if there is a pull.... If there is see how well she comes out of a left turn (rate of steering return) compared to a right turn.

If there's no pull..... forget about it :)

That's where my technical knowledge on geometry (yer right :o) ends. Over to you Tony :D

ive seen that too

ive seen that too

It's clever stuff and it has to be because of the diverse types of cars we work on, domestic, modified, fast road, track, Drift and so on.

Then there's collision diagnostics with added trigonometry and some triangulation for good measure :duh:

So Tony, basically if once I take the car for a test drive, if it pulls to the left then get it looked at and it not then just leave it as it? Well its kinda worrying me tbh as I do a lot of motorway so when I do get it on the road I dont really fancy any problems. What do you advise Tony?

So Tony, basically if once I take the car for a test drive, if it pulls to the left then get it looked at and it not then just leave it as it? Well its kinda worrying me tbh as I do a lot of motorway so when I do get it on the road I dont really fancy any problems. What do you advise Tony?

Are you near to me?... I'll measure it for free just to give you piece of mind!!

Failing that here is how i would test-drive the chassis.

1: Does it pull left?

2: Does the steering return the same after a left/ right turn

3: "Difficult one" are the visible threads on the steering arms the same?

If these rules are met then i feel the set-back is cosmetic.

I'm in manchester mate so quite far but as I said the cars still in the bodyshop at the moment but when its all sorted I'll need it checking over either way so who could I take it to? Thanks for the offer btw tony, if I cant find anyone else with an offer like that I may just have to pop down and get it checked by you and also the geometry done too ;)

I'm in manchester mate so quite far but as I said the cars still in the bodyshop at the moment but when its all sorted I'll need it checking over either way so who could I take it to? Thanks for the offer btw tony, if I cant find anyone else with an offer like that I may just have to pop down and get it checked by you and also the geometry done too ;)

Even though it's some way, you may well find it's worth it for peace of mind's sake to make the trip down to see Tony WIM. I guarantee you won't regret it, you'll have a real expert in this field checking out your car.

I know what you mean mate. I'd rather tony have a look at it as well tbh going by his rep in club but also how so many people have been happy with his work and the way he knows the IS200 backwards i'm sure it would be a worthwhile trip. Funds allowing I will see tony when I get a chance otherwise I will have to see whoever he thinks is decent enough to look at the car.