Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Cleaning

el_gencer

You've proper set me off now - just been doing some reading and found a couple of quality suggestions!

White Vinegar (Acetic Acid) and Salt (Sodium Chloride) mixed together forms a good cleaner for removing crap off metals (well copper at least).

But get this - soy sauce is also good to use for shifting stubborn stains!

And even better - so are hot sauces!!! I'm gonna leave some tobasco on my exhaust overnight :lol:

I think the main thing with these acid based cleaners is that you don't overdo them either - save them for when you've got a really stubborn stain and it'll make light work of it - but more than anything follow the instructions to the book.

Ie don't use acids to clean your wheels on a hot day - do not use them on hot wheels - do not leave it on for too long.

Just respect it and you'll be all good :)

yes that's the one,btw i do use brick cleaner,not on the wheels and that has nothing in common with wonder wheels.

Only thing I can think of is that they may have started reformulating it since I last bought some? Will have a nosey next time I go into Halfords!

You've proper set me off now - just been doing some reading and found a couple of quality suggestions!

White Vinegar (Acetic Acid) and Salt (Sodium Chloride) mixed together forms a good cleaner for removing crap off metals (well copper at least).

But get this - soy sauce is also good to use for shifting stubborn stains!

And even better - so are hot sauces!!! I'm gonna leave some tobasco on my exhaust overnight :lol:

I think the main thing with these acid based cleaners is that you don't overdo them either - save them for when you've got a really stubborn stain and it'll make light work of it - but more than anything follow the instructions to the book.

Ie don't use acids to clean your wheels on a hot day - do not use them on hot wheels - do not leave it on for too long.

Just respect it and you'll be all good :)

it is not my intention to be argumentative,only to point out that a product if harmful or containing acid or corrosive would carry the relevant health warning.the wonder wheels does not display those symbols.the megs wheel brightener does display those symbols and should be used with caution. the ww is a strong and very effective cleaner of bonded brake dust and is very well priced that does not deserve the acid tag.

it is not my intention to be argumentative,only to point out that a product if harmful or containing acid or corrosive would carry the relevant health warning.the wonder wheels does not display those symbols.the megs wheel brightener does display those symbols and should be used with caution. the ww is a strong and very effective cleaner of bonded brake dust and is very well priced that does not deserve the acid tag.

No worries mate :)

You've just got me interested now as to whether they've reformulated it nowadays?

Just had a nosey in the shed and the one I've got is about 3 or 4 years old and there are no warning labels on it anywhere on the box - nor on the bottle - but right at the bottom of the bottle it just says "Ingredients: Hydrochloric acid"

I wonder if they've changed it to a more alkaline solution nowadays then as like you say with it containing that you'd expect all sort of health and safety warnings all over the place :lol:

No worries mate :)

You've just got me interested now as to whether they've reformulated it nowadays?

Just had a nosey in the shed and the one I've got is about 3 or 4 years old and there are no warning labels on it anywhere on the box - nor on the bottle - but right at the bottom of the bottle it just says "Ingredients: Hydrochloric acid"

I wonder if they've changed it to a more alkaline solution nowadays then as like you say with it containing that you'd expect all sort of health and safety warnings all over the place :lol:

it will be cheaper at wilkinsons,good luck.

Not sure that a product needs a health warning just because it has a certain amount of acidity. Just because it doesn't have an acid symbol on it doesn't mean that it's not acidic. If a product was neat acid then yes, I'm sure it would have a label on it saying so, no-one is saying Wonder Wheels is neat acid, but it is acidic in nature and you have to be *very* careful how you use it.

Not sure that a product needs a health warning just because it has a certain amount of acidity.

The local kebab shop should put warnings on their food as they taste like they're full of acid :lol:

well,i have been to wilkinsons this morning and picked up a bottle of ww and on the back of the bottle is a label that says contains hydrochloric acid,when i got home i looked at my bottle which is about six years old and as said previously there is no mention at all about acid.so i stand corrected,sorry fella's.

Don't be daft fella you've got nothing to apologise for!

I thought you were onto something and that they'd reformulated it as a lot of people seem scared off when they realise what it is - the thing is for really stubborn stains you need to use something like this to shift them.

I'm still going to use it :)

How much was it as I noticed I'm running low :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Road salt in the winter is the biggest killer of alloy wheels.

One way of keeping your wheels protected is to give them a wipe with ACF-50 its the nearest thing to zero corrosion protection and was developed by the US navy to protect their aircraft at sea.

Its not cheap but its brilliant, and because it has a creeping action a little goes a long way, I use it on the bike all the time.

Just be sure to stay away from brakes and tyres.