Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Cleaning

el_gencer

I was cleaning the car yesterday and i noticed that there are brownish stains on the alloys.

They didn't seem to brush off and the last time i tried the turtle wax alloy cleaners i might as well just used water as it made no difference.

Any advice on this is welcome.

By the look of things it's baked on brake dust that doesn't seem to shift. I'll get some pics uploaded.

I recommend the Bilbery cleaner. It won't harm your alloys but you can use it at a more concentrated strength if you need to for those stubborn stains. Having said that, it's very effective even at more diluted ratios vs brake dust.

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that B+Q brick cleaner is the same stuff as Wonder Wheels but just more concentrated and works out loads cheaper so maybe another option you want to try for that proper serious dirt - don't leave it on the wheels long at all though as it's acid!

I read somewhere that B+Q brick cleaner is the same stuff as Wonder Wheels but just more concentrated and works out loads cheaper so maybe another option you want to try for that proper serious dirt - don't leave it on the wheels long at all though as it's acid!

:o

Try it at your own risk but I wouldn't put an acidic cleaner anywhere near my wheels, let alone something designed for cleaning bricks !

You shouldn't need an acidic cleaner even for very marked wheels, if you use the right sort of stuff.

You have to be very careful with that Wonderwheels stuff - it is aimed more for the serious muck - I'm interested in that Bilberry stuff though!

The acid is ok but you have to get it off quick otherwise it can turn the alloys yellow over time - last time I had a good go with it you could see skin missing off my hands where it had been eaten away :lol:

Are there any shops I can get Bilberry or is it a mail order jobbie? I'm going to try Wonder Wheels on one of mine as nothing seems to be shifting the metal where it appears to have binded a bit after one of my brakes went spectacularly wrong :lol:

Just had a look at their forums and assume I could probably get it from their approved valet companies but I'll wait and see if this Wonder Wheels will shift these marks I've got - if it won't nothing will (unless anyone has some neat hydrochloric acid lying around please :D )

Just had a look at their forums and assume I could probably get it from their approved valet companies but I'll wait and see if this Wonder Wheels will shift these marks I've got - if it won't nothing will (unless anyone has some neat hydrochloric acid lying around please :D )
i find the wonder wheels very good and a bottle last's for ages and i have found that by sealing my wheels reduces the need for a wheel cleaner to a couple of times a year.

DON'T use WonderWheels! It's like brick acid :ohmy:

I use Meguiar's Wheel Brightener and it works brilliantly! I got mine from Elite Car Care - check out the product link here. You dliute it down and spray on. Agitate with a soft brush and then wash off. It's safe for all sorts of wheels - including polished ones and multi-piece ones.

They even sell the Bilberry stuff if you want to stick with that!

Let me know how you get on.

Ta.

DON'T use WonderWheels! It's like brick acid :ohmy:

I use Meguiar's Wheel Brightener and it works brilliantly! I got mine from Elite Car Care - check out the product link here. You dliute it down and spray on. Agitate with a soft brush and then wash off. It's safe for all sorts of wheels - including polished ones and multi-piece ones.

They even sell the Bilberry stuff if you want to stick with that!

Let me know how you get on.

Ta.

has wonder wheels caused damaged too your wheels in some way.

To be fair mate they're ok as long as you use them correctly - if you leave them too long on the wheel it will absolutely bugger them up :lol:

A lot of the acid free cleaners are actually alkalines so still not PH neutral (cue Dove advert about soft hands!)

It's why some acid free ones are so effective - essentially they're just as aggressive as the acid - just at the alkaline end of the scale - they can still cause damage if used incorrectly.

The best thing you could ever use is plain water but it would be a nightmare to clean :o

I think as long as you go into it knowing the benefits and drawbacks then you're cooking on gas :)

i have looked at my bottle of wonder wheels and there is no mention of acid anywhere on it and neither are there any hazardous warning symbols,i have also looked at the data sheet but there is no mention of acid.are we talking about the same product here or something else.

Is it this stuff you're using mate:

0171434_m.jpg

That's the stuff that took a layer of skin off my hands - I respect it more now :lol:

Trying to find the active ingredient in it now!

Is it this stuff you're using mate:

0171434_m.jpg

That's the stuff that took a layer of skin off my hands - I respect it more now :lol:

Trying to find the active ingredient in it now!

yes that's the one,btw i do use brick cleaner,not on the wheels and that has nothing in common with wonder wheels.