Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ls Uk/eu Headlamps

watsofilms

Does Toyota produce just one head light version for the Lexus LS which is aligned for each region (LHD or RHD) or do you have to buy an euro version to replace the UK headlights when importing UK Lexus to Europe for example? Has anybody tried to import a LHD Lexus LS to UK (or an similar Toyota) and experienced a smilar problem? Thank You!

They are different clusters for LHD or RHD.

On my LHD IS, I had to change the clusters to RHD ones to drive in UK.

Or you can add a sticker on the glass to change the light direction but it does not look good and it is designed for temporary usage

as yemgi says the units are different lhd/rhd, however in the Uk you will be allowed to just mask the headlight.

which mark LS do you own as there may be some in breakers yards

Thanks. I'm considering to import a UK LS to Germany (I can live with RHD) but in order to pass the TÜV (German MOT) one has very likely to replace the head lamps. Oldtimer fans do such things, but I believe it's not required for cars like the LS, a simple alignment should be fine. I mean you don't need it on a Porsche 996 so why should Toyota make two different versions for its flagship?

see §8

http://www.wikihow.com/Import-a-Used-Car-f...rmany-to-the-UK

Indeed beam benders (those stickers) are for temporary use. Just yesterday I've seen a British LS 430 in Germany (Dortmund) but it was late and I was not able to follow him with my bimmer;) LS 430 is quite rare in Germany, you will not find many cars with British license numbers unless you live near the Dutch border, but a LS 430 RHD with British plates on is very very unique..unfortunately it was very late and I was not able to see his head lamps. I know it's "allowed" to drive with unmodified UK head lamps here as long as the car is registered in the UK but I am still curious if such conversion/alignment can be done by hand on the LS. That would make such import very easy.

i am living in Germany as well, the temporary switch over that some cars have on the back of the lights, or "Tourist light Converters" ...as fitted to Saab, BMW and Volvo are not legal in Germany for extended periods. (90 days+)

this is a new law introduced in 2008

to be compliant now you have to have the full LHD lights fitted, this will also apply to Porsche...if it was coming from the UK to Germany

your link is importing a car to the Uk, not to Germany, the laws are different between the 2 country's, however the switch i referred to "tourist converter" is also not legal in the Uk either

i am living in Germany as well, the temporary switch over that some cars have on the back of the lights, or "Tourist light Converters" ...as fitted to Saab, BMW and Volvo are not legal in Germany for extended periods. (90 days+)

this is a new law introduced in 2008

to be compliant now you have to have the full LHD lights fitted, this will also apply to Porsche...if it was coming from the UK to Germany

your link is importing a car to the Uk, not to Germany, the laws are different between the 2 country's, however the switch i referred to "tourist converter" is also not legal in the Uk either

That's correct, the example describes an import from Germany to UK, but that does not really matter. It's all about the principle: why should Porsche produce two different types of head lamps for their cars? Sure, they can afford it (or their customers), but it's not very wise and what's more important, not economic. Now let's have a look at Toyota: world's biggest manufacturer, known from producing long-term cars full of unseen substance. These guys are very profitable because many LS parts are taken from various Lexus/Toyota models and again, in times of clear glass headlights with Xenon bulbs I believe they found a way to align them easily and not to replace them on the assembly line. Just an idea.

Yes, UK and Germany are two different countries, but both are in the EC and all cars sold in the EC must comply to certain laws. So both versions, UK and DE LS cars will be equipped with head lamps carrying these "E" sign which is important for the TÜV and probably MOT. The UK registered car as a whole may be registered in DE, but the lights "might" need an adjustment. The question remains: is it possible or do I have to purchase the LHD version...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links