Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When driving in France, Germany or any other left hand drive country, do you use headlamp covers (beam benders) for your Lexus LS (MK IV and later models with Xenon bulbs) or is there an option of manual alignment available? I mean does Toyota produce just one head light version which is aligned for each region (LHD or RHD) or do you have to buy an euro version when importing UK Lexus to Europe? Could somebody check your owner's manual and see if there is a chapter dealing with this issue? Thank You very much.

When driving in France, Germany or any other left hand drive country, do you use headlamp covers (beam benders) for your Lexus LS (MK IV and later models with xenon bulbs) or is there an option of manual alignment available? I mean does Toyota produce just one head light version which is aligned for each region (LHD or RHD) or do you have to buy an euro version when importing UK Lexus to Europe? Could somebody check your owner's manual and see if there is a chapter dealing with this issue? Thank You very much.

Hi

There are LHD headlights and RHD headlights, if you import a car you just swap the headlights, Having said that I've driven all over Europe with mine and never had anybody flash me up so they can't be that bad.... looking at the light pattern they tend to be straight ahead these days instead of facing towards the passenger side. I think as lights improved and they now have more spread then the old style of dipping to the passenger side has gone out the window a bit....

I think for the MOT they just test if the lights are too high or too low, if you have to pass a SVA on an import they would want the correct lights, but as most 400's are now over 10 years old I don't think you will have much problem.

Pete

Hi & Thanks,

but, today, in times of clear glass headlights with Xenon bulbs I believe they found a way to align them on the assembly line in Japan. Why should they produce two different types of headlights? Knowing Toyota it's not economic (they've managed to build two different types of cars on one single chassis, Lexus IS & GS or Toyota Auris & Avensis, in Europe at least), why should they produce two different types of headlights? I'm interested in LS 400 MK IV or the later models LS 430, these cars have Xenon headlight and in theory, my own theory of course, there is no difference between the RHD and LHD versions. But it's difficult to prove it without the actual car of course.

Hi

I have a theory that Ferrari make their cars out of metal and plastic and a bit of leather just like my 430, now mine has a lot more in it than a Ferrari so a Ferrari should be a lot less money.... I will try this one out at a dealers and see what they say....

You cannot second guess car makers.... why does the 2001 LS430 US spec have different features to the EU spec car....

There are different part numbers for the LHD and RHD lights

Pete

I have a theory that Ferrari make their cars out of metal and plastic and a bit of leather just like my 430, now mine has a lot more in it than a Ferrari so a Ferrari should be a lot less money.... I will try this one out at a dealers and see what they say....

...and what's the point here (the theory is wrong)? I can't follow your logic. I'm afraid you've misunderstood my little Porsche story.

You cannot second guess car makers.... why does the 2001 LS430 US spec have different features to the EU spec car....

US and Europe are two different markets. I have mentioned the UK and EU cars which actually have exactly the same specs but just a different configuration. UK "Premium Pack" is a simple "President Line" in Germany with same configuration. It all depends on the country of course, in Germany all LS 430 are equipped with serial air suspension unlike the pre-facelift LS 430 models in UK, is this correct? It was possible to buy the US LS models without the air suspension too. All the rest remained the same, same sat nav, same fridge, same motor, same everything. The only visible difference between the EC LHD and UK RHD models is the different light cone at night. So why should Toyota produce two different headlamp versions?

There are different part numbers for the LHD and RHD lights

Pete

Yes, that's probably true. But there are three different part numbers for the front pads of my friend's Camry and other parts. And all have the same sizes and will fit his car. Toyota is not dumb and would never release a single part number for the whole world. I mean, they are not good Samaritans but want our money. Sure, you won't use the same headlamps for the US market. But here, the UK pound was very strong for a long time, much stronger then the Euro, currently the Euro is a little bit overrated, but the parts/cars are still produced in Japan and their value remains the same. Why should Toyota sell it to you or me for the same price when they can earn a little bit more in UK for example?

The actual technical/mechanical difference which is required to operate such lights correctly on my or your side must be pretty small, don't you think? What would make the production of two separate models for almost same market so difficult and expensive? I was not talking about a dashboard for example.

• 2 weeks later...

UK LS430's are fitted with right hand drive dipped headlamps. There are two parts to the beam (from each headlamp). The main part of the beam has a flat top. This flat top should be horizontal, and kept in that position by the self-levelling system on each headlamp; this floods the road ahead without dazzling oncoming drivers or pedestrians. The second part of each beam is a streak of light that shines up to the left. This is far enough left not to dazzle oncoming drivers, but lets you as a driver spot pedestrians, cyclists (and horses!) on the left hand side of the road.

If you're driving on the right, you need to remove the left hand streak from each headlamp.

For about a tenner, Lexus will sell you a kit, but it's a bit rubbish, and comes with incorrect instructions. Here's what to do instead.

You need a bit of dirt on your headlamps, really, to see where the light is coming from. However, at night, switch on dipped headlights, stand in front of each headlamp in turn, and look at what you see. In the centre of each beam there is a dimple on the exit glass. Above the dimple the glass should be lit, from the beam that is shining down at the road. Also, however, just to the left and below the beam you'll see a bright patch. This is your target. While you're wating to get on the ferry, simply use a bit of black insulating tape, or whatever, to blank out this small area. On the way back, peel it off.