Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chrome Re-plating

Steviewevie

I have an OEM exhaust tip for the IS200. However, the chrome has been partially eaten away by some sort of weird black stuff. Originally I thought I could clean it up myself, but it looks to me like it could do with re-plating.

I could of course just buy an aftermarket exhaust tip, but I imagine the quality won't be great and of course it won't fit perfectly like the OEM tip.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much it's lilkely to cost me to get it re-plated ? Would I be able to give it to a company, then they sand-blast it (or similar) to prepare it, and then re-plate it ? How could I be sure that the new chrome is likely to last given the application on a hot exhaust ?

Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

I have an OEM exhaust tip for the IS200. However, the chrome has been partially eaten away by some sort of weird black stuff. Originally I thought I could clean it up myself, but it looks to me like it could do with re-plating.

I could of course just buy an aftermarket exhaust tip, but I imagine the quality won't be great and of course it won't fit perfectly like the OEM tip.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much it's lilkely to cost me to get it re-plated ? Would I be able to give it to a company, then they sand-blast it (or similar) to prepare it, and then re-plate it ? How could I be sure that the new chrome is likely to last given the application on a hot exhaust ?

Just get an apftermarket tip to rechrome it properly would be a mission and a half, it would need prep etching copper plating and then chroming to make it stay on. Get a polished stainless one its easier to keep them shiny with metal polish

Steve I think there is an OEM one on eBay at the moment mate.

stainless steel is your best option.

Chrome plating is good for a while but there are no great uk chrome platers as such.. and it always comes off in the end.

At least with stainless you can just keep polishing it