Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

8000k 35w Hid Non Working

VVProtocolVV

Hi guys and gals,

Bought a secondhand HID 8000k HID kit (dipped), but can't get either of the ballasts to work. I'm pretty sure the connections are correct and my original xeon bulbs work. Have checked everything (see images below) hopefully someone can point out if i have the connections wrong...even started to car just to make sure that the car has to be started before they work.

The connection to ballast.

ballast.jpg

The connection at HID lamp end.

connection.jpg

Just for reference, the original bulb connected to make sure a fuse hasn't blown and my dipped does work.

originallight.jpg

Confused as to why both ballasts don't work. Is there something i missed? Hopefully someone can point out where (if i have) connected wrong before it gets too dark outside.

Will try tomorrow as its too dark outside. I will connect the brown connection straight into the ballast too see if that makes any difference. As for being connected wrong way round is very unlikely as they are specifically designed so it can't happen. The plugs have same fitting as to not allow a different or wrong plug being connected. But as i've run out of ideas, will have to try this (probably end up blowing some fuses). The only thing that can be wrong is both the HID lamps have blown (or been damaged during transit).

am free Tuesday (at the moment), I have HID's too, so should be able to hook up and swap

bits over to see where there is a problem ?

These are my ones i have just sold...... so if you could help him out that would be great, they were tried and tested before i sent them off, but cant understand why BOTH dont work, any help would be appreciated

Si

Cheers Wozza, i will have to do that as i can't see any logical explaination to get these working (hopefully it's just me). But, another set of eyes to over see if i have made a noobie mistake will be appriciated.

I need to drop someone off at Canterbury on Tuesday, after that im free. Where are you avaliable Wozza? I know you are near Bromley, but if theres a specific place i can drive to meet. Got a tomtom, so as long as you have a post code im good to go (and its not 10,000 miles away lol), but preferably within Kent/Canterbury/Ashford/Maidstone, but its up to you.

I will try a few more things tomorrow to see if i can get them working.

Cheers Aztec, thats how it is connected when i tried it, but no joy...may have to see if theres any sign of a blown HID lamp, but both seem fine.

With a lot of the kits you do have to turn the brown connector round so that they work mate, Dont know why they wire them up that way? I know the kit i had wouldnt work when i first fitted it but did as soon as i turned the connector over they were fine, Quite a few members have had the smae problems in the past?

Yep, Stevie and aztec you were right the connection (brown) had to be turned round, the nipple part that suppose to lock into place is actually the wrong way, as you can see images below..

This is actually the wrong way, even though it seems correct.

Wrong.jpg

The correct way to connect the brown connection is this way...

Right.jpg

And the difference (i originally had white Xenon lamps in n/s, and even they look yellow in comparison!)

difference.jpg

They already look bright and its relatively bright outside (only slight cloud above).

Following Cous's install with 3 velcro strips per ballast....

install001-1.jpg

install002-1.jpg

Glad you got it working. This is pretty common, even though it looks like you've plugged in the connector the "wrong" way round (and in extreme cases even needed to butcher the connector to let it connect that way !).

Also, you can see how poor those supposed "xenon" bulbs are (normal bulbs with a tiny bit of Xenon gas in to make them slightly bluish) - sorry to anyone who has those bulbs but if you install HIDs you'll wonder why you wasted your money before.

Glad you got it working. This is pretty common, even though it looks like you've plugged in the connector the "wrong" way round (and in extreme cases even needed to butcher the connector to let it connect that way !).

Also, you can see how poor those supposed "xenon" bulbs are (normal bulbs with a tiny bit of xenon gas in to make them slightly bluish) - sorry to anyone who has those bulbs but if you install HIDs you'll wonder why you wasted your money before.

Because they were just £2-3 pounds ;) lol you HID bullies, but they do look guys will invest in some later this year for what ever car I have :D

Remember having to change the polarity on the Meccatune kits we tried years ago, I guess manufacturers must use them the other way around and the connectors in these cars are in the minority?

Instead of plugging the connector in the wrong way around, I used a small needle to release the actual male connectors from the connector and reversed them so the fastener still held the connection in place :)

Glad you got it sorted, you should dip the ballast the other way round when mounting them so water will not enter the cable section.

I thought about that, but i wanted the cables to run round the fuse box (n/s) plus the connections are water proof anyway, they have like a plastic sleeve/ring where it meets the plug. Will find out when it starts rainning lol.

Thank you so much for this advice I got some HIDs for christmas and had exactly the same problem they would not work as i plugged them in as stated on the box not the lexus way lol.

Quite a common problem mate, and glad the info helped :D can be quite frustrating when things dont work how they should ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links