Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Mk2 Shift Lock Button.

Hi,

Any help RX300 Mk2 'newbie'

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but what does the shift lock button do on the auto box. When I press it no indicator lights show on the dashboard and I can not find any mention of it in the owners manual. :unsure:

If its a red button by the lever its to allow you to move the stick without the engine being on etc, it energises the solenoid to release the lever. Thats if i am thinking of the right button

Hi,

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but what does the shift lock button do on the auto box. When I press it no indicator lights show on the dashboard and I can not find any mention of it in the owners manual. :unsure:

If its a red button by the lever its to allow you to move the stick without the engine being on etc, it energises the solenoid to release the lever. Thats if i am thinking of the right button

No its just a small elongated black button above the gear lever on the left of the gear surround which says 'shift lock'.

Hi,

No its just a small elongated black button above the gear lever on the left of the gear surround which says 'shift lock'.

It enables you to move the gear lever from park without placing your foot on the brake pedal and switching on the ignition.

It enables you to move the gear lever from park without placing your foot on the brake pedal and switching on the ignition.

That's it. According to the manual, it should be used if you're having trouble moving the shift stick, for instance after leaving the car parked on a very steep road.

That's it. According to the manual, it should be used if you're having trouble moving the shift stick, for instance after leaving the car parked on a very steep road.

Thanks for all your help.

• 5 years later...

My car gets stuck in the Park position, the ignition starts but wen you depress the brake pedals, the shift lever wouldnt move. from the previous review, brake light switch, fuse and bulbs were suggested, but mine seems to be working.
My 3 brake light bulbs are lighting on when i depress the brake pedals, so the brake lights are working.

Though the Replace bulb light stays on even before problem of the shift level.

Can i know where the fuse is to check, also what is the expected ohm rating of the brake light bulbs since it was suggested on this forum that the ohm rating difference could lead to the permanent replace bulb light on the dashboard.

Kindly provide a permananet solution to this so that i dont need to press the lock button everytime

hello colin barber, thanks for that, can you tell me where and which solenoid to check, are you sayng the stop light siwtch and fuse are not to worry about like others suggested.

Then I dont have CEL (check engine light) on my dashboard, cause i just repaired the car of misfiring just last week before this issue started, so I there might not be a reason to check with a scanner, do you think?

Also, yesterday when I got to the car and started the engine the level was able to shift out of park position without pressing the shoft lock, but somethings it still happens....

if your brake lights are working then there isn't a problem with the brake pedal switch.

When the gear selector is in Park you have to press the brake pedal to be able to move it out of Park. There is a solenoid that locks it in position which is energised when the brake pedal is pressed. If the solenoid is sticking or faulty then you get the issue you are experiencing and the only way to get out of park is to use the mechanical override shift lock button (which is really to allow the transmission to be put into N if the Battery is flat)

See attached

shift lock.pdf