Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes

prince83

Hi guys,

Having a few problems fitting new brake pads.

Bought some new pads (standard, nothing flashy). Put them on and they fitted fine but when i tried to put the wheel back on it was locked against the caliper. I already had a 5mm spacer on there so i decided to put another 5mm making 10mm. Now i have clearance but i cannot screw the nuts on as there is not enough thread to to catch??? Out of interest i HAVE changed the rims (18's x7.5). Please help, how do the rest of you guys manage to change your pads without this problem???

P.s The only thing i can think of is get stud extenders but that will take ages

thanks in advance

post-22891-1229906855.jpg

post-22891-1229906480.jpg

post-22891-1229906910.jpg

Hi guys,

Having a few problems fitting new brake pads.

Bought some new pads (standard, nothing flashy). Put them on and they fitted fine but when i tried to put the wheel back on it was locked against the caliper. I already had a 5mm spacer on there so i decided to put another 5mm making 10mm. Now i have clearance but i cannot screw the nuts on as there is not enough thread to to catch??? Out of interest i HAVE changed the rims (18's x7.5). Please help, how do the rest of you guys manage to change your pads without this problem???

P.s The only thing i can think of is get stud extenders but that will take ages

thanks in advance

post-22891-1229906855.jpg

post-22891-1229906480.jpg

post-22891-1229906910.jpg

I take it the actual caliper part of the front brakes is now fouling against the inside of the alloy spokes. f the alloys were on before unless you wore the pads to paper it can't be by that much. A couple of choices really you can either get the caliper machined a couple of mill or you need to buy longer studs.

Is the offset right for the car on the wheels?

hi,

i changed the alloys as soon as i bought the car, it had stock rims on before. Im pretty sure the offset is correct. Its such a bugger as my pads only have a few mm left until they hit the sensor. As i said it has always had a 5mm spacer on there but for it to get clearance with the new pads on it needs around 10mm. So i need to gain 5mm somewhere????

Regards

hi,

i changed the alloys as soon as i bought the car, it had stock rims on before. Im pretty sure the offset is correct. Its such a bugger as my pads only have a few mm left until they hit the sensor. As i said it has always had a 5mm spacer on there but for it to get clearance with the new pads on it needs around 10mm. So i need to gain 5mm somewhere????

Regards

I'd seriously consider longer studs if i were you 5mm to take off the caliper seems alot

Thanks Guys,

Stav could you give me some pointers of where you got yours from and how you went about doing the job please :) . Aquaunuke you gotta remember that the new pads a considerably thicker than the worn one's (possible another 5mm) so its more like 10mm of stud at the moment ;).

if you buy a H&R spacer kit it should come with longer studs if needed.

My 15mm ones did. got them off eBay. not cheap though (about £100)

To change the studsm just hammer you old ones out, then put the new ones in, put a socket over them, then the wheel nut and tighten, should pull it through a treat.

Stav

hi,

Regards

What sensor would that be ?