Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diy Oil Change

addyirv

Hi could someone help.

My father owns an IS200, now he wants the oil and filter changed, but IIRC theres some plastic tray also do i need special tools to take filter off etc?.

Advice would be great, how to go about it.

Seems a hell of lot easier of my s2000.

Thanks in advance.

need to do it from underneath the car so the tray needs to come off. no special tools needed except a strap wrench.

would be easier to take it to one of the cheapo places and supply them the oil and filter rather than messng about underneath the car and putting it on axle stands etc

Hi could someone help.

My father owns an IS200, now he wants the oil and filter changed, but IIRC theres some plastic tray also do i need special tools to take filter off etc?.

Advice would be great, how to go about it.

Seems a hell of lot easier of my s2000.

Thanks in advance.

My top tip for removing filters is make sure you have a pair of marigolds ;) the rubber will give you the extra grip and will save you hammering a screwdriver thru the filter to start it off (strap wrench whats that :P )

I found a very small pic of the oil filter in the page of an article about IS200 servicing as shown below. The text says :

This is not easy - and would be even harder without the car on a hoist ! Basically the filter is on the nearside of the engine block and pretty well hidden by the front suspension and crossmember. You can get it off with and "end on" type filter tool, but a chain or strap type would, I think, be a bit of a struggle ...

Servicing3.jpg

I have done it about 8 times now, take the passenger side wheel off and put on axle stand, then use long reach oil filter grippers from under car. Never had a problem.

Hi mate, thanks for that tip. Do i just remove the passenger wheel thats all?, or do i still need to remove the plastic tray?

I have a set of mole clamps/grips here but the handle is only about 8'' long, would they be any good?

Thanks