Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine And Transmission

sir john

Hi guys. first posting and its urgent. I have an electrical prob with my 93 L400 159,000 miles. Had it for only 3 months and totally reliable up to last week. I live up a farm track so have to splash through water in pot hole in had weather. Sometimes quite deep. The other day the dash board warming lights came on when the revs dropped below 1200 but went out when the the revs went up. when i got back in the car to drive home in the rain and dark the same happened but when the engine warmed up the warning lights came on all the time. within a mile or so driving with the head light, radio, wipers and blower on the head lights started to dim and the engine started to loose power until all the electrics and engine died completely. Tried to restart but starter just clicked. Battery totally dead. Left it a few minutes for Battery to recover and it started but within half a mile it happened again. Total electrical shutdown.

Ive changed the Battery and next morning started the car and left to tick over. Fantastic! no faults, no warning lights. Until it warmed up. Then all the same warning lights came on and, with the bonnet up, i can hear that the engine is running a little rough and there is a slight ticking niose and a slight buzz from the power stearing pump. Left to idle, the engine also rises from 600/700 rpm to about 1100/1200 rmp for a few seconds at a time during which there is a harsh rattle.

any ideas guys. i need to get it fixed as i have to run my aunt back home to suffolk next week. a return journey of 660 miles.

The dash lights that come on are;

Rear light failure warning. brake pad wear warning. Low engine level warning. Low engine coolant warning. Low washer fluid warning. Battery discharge warning. Brake system warning. Parking brake reminder.

The brake system waring light has been coming on intermitantly for a while now. usually on braking or just decelloration.

PS ive checked all the fluids and they are all ok.

thanks for that guys. I tried a good fully charged Battery but the same thing happened. Since posting i have spoken to a technician at the dealers who said it all pionts to a duff alternator. Reading some of the other postings and getting under the car the steering pump has been leaking fluid onto the alternator. Bad news. So ive ordered a recon unit from Electrostart 2006.(found them on the ebay) for £148 plus £10 p&p. Thats £100 to £200 cheaper than my local factors. Ill let you all know if the service is any good.

• 1 month later...
thanks for that guys. I tried a good fully charged battery but the same thing happened. Since posting i have spoken to a technician at the dealers who said it all pionts to a duff alternator. Reading some of the other postings and getting under the car the steering pump has been leaking fluid onto the alternator. Bad news. So ive ordered a recon unit from Electrostart 2006.(found them on the ebay) for £148 plus £10 p&p. Thats £100 to £200 cheaper than my local factors. Ill let you all know if the service is any good.

A bit late with the update but better late than never. Ordered the reconned alternator at about 2PM on the 23nd of Dec over the phone and it arrived before 10AM the next morning. Yes thats right, 10AM on christmes eve. It came well boxed with receipt and 12 months warranty.

Bit of a tight fiddle to fit it but its done. Fitted straight in, no messing. It didnt look like a reconditioned unit though. Im sure its brand spanking new, not that im complaining.

All in all the service i received was second to none. i couldnt fault them and the Lexus runs like a dream and has for the last month. Took Aunty back to Suffolk, a return trip of over 600 miles. 80/90 mph all the way there 24.4mpg. 70/75 on the way back, 30.22mpg. Thats what I call real motoring, luxury and economy.

In short, I would really recommend these guys for anyone needing an alternator or starter motor. "Electrostart 2006", 21 Gleneagles Close, Davertry, Nothamtonshire, NN11 4PF. Tel; 07702 662 373 or 07900 265 426.