Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car had it's third birthday today so needed an M.O.T test certificate. Lexus Cheltenham did the honours while I drank their coffee, read the papers and watched BBC News channel.

Thought it would fly through but :crying: told the sliders on the rear calipers had seized so needed some new parts and pads. Warranty ran out yesterday, but a quick phone call to Lexus GB and the work was covered under warranty of sorts. Apparently it's been such a common problem that it's likely to be an official recall. As mine has the IS350 calipers and discs on the front I wasn't too aware of any loss of braking efficiency, but I must say I'm very aware now all the calipers are working as they should :blush: .

Pre-warned then folks, and I'm presuming any official recall will include new parts to solve the original problem so mine may also be included.

(I was intrigued to see that a white IS-F was returned to the dealership while I was there after only 15,000 miles. Hope the guy got a good trade-in for the two cars he bought in part-ex.)

I guess that would that be a recal on the IS250 only Tango.....how would you tell the slide pins are sticking.or problem with the calliper? did the brake`s perform better then after.they where replaced...?

I presume the 220D has the same rear brake set-up so a re-call would also be equally applicable to the oiler.

The rear calipers don't have to work too hard and the build up of crud on the sliders was obviously over a long period so the rear brake efficiency was lost over that time. With the original 250 brakes on the front I believe I would have noticed the loss of effectiveness on the rear, but the bigger brake set up on the front was still providing adequate stopping power. As soon as I left the dealership today I noticed how effective the brakes are now the rears are working properly again plus the BBK on the front. Stopping power now awesome. Pity I failed to check the rears properly when the the stainless steel braided hoses were fitted, but visually they looked fine :blush: .

Can only assume the M.O.T test showed the problem from measuring the individual wheel braking on the rollers?

Had my 250se mot'd in November and they also changed the rear calipers (under warranty). The workshop said that this was a very common warranty replacement on the IS. Can't say I noticed any real difference in braking tho'.

This is very interesting. Mine make a noise when stopping after reversing. Could this be the same problem?

Had my 250se mot'd in November and they also changed the rear calipers (under warranty). The workshop said that this was a very common warranty replacement on the IS. Can't say I noticed any real difference in braking tho'.

This is very interesting. Mine make a noise when stopping after reversing. Could this be the same problem?

Mine also makes a very unlexus like squeal when applying the brakes while reversing. Mentioned it at 10k service, but it hasnt gone away.

Ive got some new slide pins in the shed somewhere and some Lith-moly grease and copper slip that Wozza kindly gave me for my IS200.....and i know the last time i went to WIM for a few bits to be done that the slide pins where sticking a bit....maybe i should change them...? as this was a big problem on the IS200.? Is this easy to do...?