Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Had Much Experience With Those Ebay Dvb-t Tuners?

I bought one of those eBay DVB-T tuners ages ago and haven't fitted it yet, so looking to do it soon!

Thing is, ever since I had it the thing won't power up on the 12V 6W connection - it's just dead.

Never got round to sending it back and not sending it back to Japan as that'll cost more than it did - so just been having a nosey and it has a mini USB port which is unlabelled so thought I'd hook that up and bang up she comes lovely.

So I'm just wondering now, USB is putting out 5V with a max of 500mA - according to the label if it's 12V 6W then the most it would draw in theory is 500mA - is that right?!

It seems to work fine when hooked up to a TV while powered from the laptop - although at one point the laptop complained that an unknown USB device was trying to use too much power - I put some USB sniffing software on the case and it doesn't appear to present anything at all, no device ID whatsoever - so the computer doesn't see a device - just complains about the power.

When the message appeared nothing happened on the Tuner, ie it didn't shutdown or anything.

I'm just wondering out loud here - but does the following sound feasible:

Pick up a small USB2 hub tonight with a DC power input

Connect this to the DC adaptor I already have installed in the car to provide external power

Connect a USB Y adaptor to the hub - ie two normal USB ports to one mini USB port - used for things like external USB 2.5 HDDs that require more ampage than a single port can provide

Connect the mini USB connection to the DVB-T hub

Sounds like that should work to me seeing as the tuner is functioning off the 5V USB connection - this way just gives it more juice if required.

What do you guys think?

The other option is to look at the PCB - which I've done already - and I can only find one fuse on there directly behind the 12V connectors.

I'm guessing that's blown so as a test I could just solder a wire between the two points and see if it then functions via the 12v connection?

Not really got much to lose either way I guess as my only expenditure here is either a USB hub which I can reuse or a cheapo solder iron, some solder and some thin wire!

What do you reckon please fellas?

I bought one of those eBay DVB-T tuners ages ago and haven't fitted it yet, so looking to do it soon!

Thing is, ever since I had it the thing won't power up on the 12V 6W connection - it's just dead.

Never got round to sending it back and not sending it back to Japan as that'll cost more than it did - so just been having a nosey and it has a mini USB port which is unlabelled so thought I'd hook that up and bang up she comes lovely.

So I'm just wondering now, USB is putting out 5V with a max of 500mA - according to the label if it's 12V 6W then the most it would draw in theory is 500mA - is that right?!

It seems to work fine when hooked up to a TV while powered from the laptop - although at one point the laptop complained that an unknown USB device was trying to use too much power - I put some USB sniffing software on the case and it doesn't appear to present anything at all, no device ID whatsoever - so the computer doesn't see a device - just complains about the power.

When the message appeared nothing happened on the Tuner, ie it didn't shutdown or anything.

I'm just wondering out loud here - but does the following sound feasible:

Pick up a small USB2 hub tonight with a DC power input

Connect this to the DC adaptor I already have installed in the car to provide external power

Connect a USB Y adaptor to the hub - ie two normal USB ports to one mini USB port - used for things like external USB 2.5 HDDs that require more ampage than a single port can provide

Connect the mini USB connection to the DVB-T hub

Sounds like that should work to me seeing as the tuner is functioning off the 5V USB connection - this way just gives it more juice if required.

What do you guys think?

The other option is to look at the PCB - which I've done already - and I can only find one fuse on there directly behind the 12V connectors.

I'm guessing that's blown so as a test I could just solder a wire between the two points and see if it then functions via the 12v connection?

Not really got much to lose either way I guess as my only expenditure here is either a USB hub which I can reuse or a cheapo solder iron, some solder and some thin wire!

What do you reckon please fellas?

what kind of usb is it normal type or mini if you look at some of the phone chargers in halfrauds there are some with a usb attachment on them you could bastardise one of them if you didnt want it hanging out the ciggy lighter

isnt the usb for software updates?

im sure its not for powering the thing up although iy would need to supply power in order to do this!!

im afraid you may be really dissapointed with this unit. The chip it uses isnt that good and will struggle when on the move to keep a picture, especially if you are usingthe aerial supplied.

Any incar dvb needs a dual diveristy tuner and a 5v high gain powered aerial. If you are in good signal strength then you may get a decent signal when stationary.

The best two are the cko1080 and the kenwood d500e both offer superb incar tv. If you have a comptabile kenwood unit then the kenwood is the best choice due to the way it interfaces.. if not then the CKO one and it saves you about £80.

Have you tried testing the wires with a multimeter to ensure that the wires inside the cig adaptor arent damaged?

you could always try wiring direct to the Battery with a suitable fuse to see if that works?

it may be a case of trial and error...

if M1 jct 26 isnt to far from where you are (south yorkshire?) im happy to have a look at it with you..

Mr Aido., must i remind you what I used to do.

Could have given u one for free b4 i left the Uk that is for a car and works on the move.

If it the model in the photo, it sould work from car Battery right, as it looks like a car model the antenna looks like it is only designed to work whilst stationary though.......

Steve

I agree whith Redz completely about the performance of this DVB-Tuner mate.

Even the very best diversity tuners are good on the Motorway, but do struggle in

heavily built up areas when you are moving. A good twin antenna will help too.

@Steve if you still have any spare I'll take one !!

BTW how is Hong Kong ?

Could have given u one for free b4 i left the Uk that is for a car and works on the move.

If it the model in the photo, it sould work from car battery right, as it looks like a car model the antenna looks like it is only designed to work whilst stationary though.......

Steve

I'm confused mate - you used to drink beer and Jagermeister and eat curries with me whenever I saw you :D

To be honest not planning on using this while driving - it was just that the car had an analogue TV tuner when I bought it so thought I might as well replace with a DVB-T - it's more for when I come to sell it or those odd times you get someone in the car who sees the TV button and wants to see it!

I only got it as it was mega cheap so just wanted to see if it would work :)

Think I'm just going to use the USB connector for now as like I say the fuse is blown on the PCB - doesn't appear to be anyway to replace that easily which is why I thought go with the piece of wire to see if that works but that's a bit riskier I guess if it ever knackers up!

uote]

Think I'm just going to use the USB connector for now as like I say the fuse is blown on the PCB - doesn't appear to be anyway to replace that easily which is why I thought go with the piece of wire to see if that works but that's a bit riskier I guess if it ever knackers up!

if you can identify the fuse on the pdb can you try a piece of fuse wire of the same rating?? if it works then i can swap the fuse out for you..

good luck!!

If it the model in the photo, it sould work from car battery right, as it looks like a car model the antenna looks like it is only designed to work whilst stationary though.......

Steve

Have you still got your tuner Steve? Which one is it mate?

Finally got my arse in gear today and got it all fitted, didn't realise how much noise protection there was in the rear seats - have left them out to give them a good clean tomorrow and I can hear the petrol sloshing about and allsorts as I drive - the exhausts sound twice as loud as they did before :D

Only problem is I'm in an area with no Freeview reception at the moment so might have a drive up Sheffield way in a bit to see what it's like!

Also got the R-VIT fitted in a permanent position with the wires hidden nicely while I've had all the kickpanels out and car in bits, all in all a pretty darned productive day by my standards :D

Oh and before I forget I even removed all the old analogue TV bits - the tuner for that is fecked but I have a Necvox model 531 aeriel that I ripped out today, it's like one of those twin ones with six connections about the size of headphone sockets!

One of these:

http://necvox.manufacturer.globalsources.c...ter-Antenna.htm

Will chuck it in the bin tomorrow unless anyone wants it?

Finally got my arse in gear today and got it all fitted, didn't realise how much noise protection there was in the rear seats - have left them out to give them a good clean tomorrow and I can hear the petrol sloshing about and allsorts as I drive - the exhausts sound twice as loud as they did before :D

Only problem is I'm in an area with no Freeview reception at the moment so might have a drive up Sheffield way in a bit to see what it's like!

Also got the R-VIT fitted in a permanent position with the wires hidden nicely while I've had all the kickpanels out and car in bits, all in all a pretty darned productive day by my standards :D

Oh and before I forget I even removed all the old analogue TV bits - the tuner for that is fecked but I have a Necvox model 531 aeriel that I ripped out today, it's like one of those twin ones with six connections about the size of headphone sockets!

One of these:

http://necvox.manufacturer.globalsources.c...ter-Antenna.htm

Will chuck it in the bin tomorrow unless anyone wants it?

Hirschman make the BEST DVBT antenna by far.....