Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well after only a brief ownership of the IS220d I have decided to sell.

Nothing really wrong other than a bit of disapointment with performance, economy and the 1st and 6th gear. Overall I still like the looks and think the quality is fine but the drive is just not what I expected...certainly wouldnt put anyone off one but would advise that they have a long test drive first, also realised when I drove the IS250 auto the mistake I had made and how good a Lexus could be.

Anyway returning back to a BMW (sorry to swear on here) but find them more enjoyable to drive.

P.S. still think the Lexus is better than the Merc

IS250 auto is nice but not nice enough, not particularly punchy, but the refinement is spot on, just needs to be that bit sharper to drive

Gone for a BMW X5 3.0d msport auto, same tax band as Lexus IS250, not much more in terms of price (nearly new against new) but a whole lot more of a vehicle, got 33mpg on the extended test drive as well across various roads. Friend has one and he averages about the same and swears by it.

Anyway tried the Lexus experience, not totally disappointed as I was with the Merc but then again not as satisfied as driving a BM

I know what you mean when you say "not punchy", I think a 1.6L focus feels more punchy. The Lexus (granted not the fastest from 0-60) seems to gather speed whithout you noticing it, more of a swoosh than a punch.

Have you driven an Astra or Vectra recently? If you want jerky throtle response, look no further.

Not been that lucky :D

I have driven both in the past and I have to say I hate Vectra's

When I say punchy I mean sluggish, the wifes previous car a 325d with only 20bhp more and the same torque was in a totally different class, the performance was like chalk and cheese in comparison. Just dont know whether it is a gearing issue, turbo size/lag or setup on the power/torque delivery which is the issue with the IS. Having had a 115bhp bora, 130bhp mondeo and 150bhp Saab the 177bhp IS feels the most sluggish of them all

sounds more like you had a bad one...

I've just switched from a 3 series to an IS (both diesel) and find the lexus has far more punch AND sustained accelleration over time.

I'm still not happy with my fuel consumption, though.

I've just switched from a 3 series to an IS (both diesel) and find the lexus has far more punch AND sustained accelleration over time.

Nup, had a loan one 58reg for a week and that was exactly the same.

The 325d (197bhp version) manual was very fast, punchy, with bag of torque from as little as 1100 rpm, in fact it was difficult not to have the traction light flashing all the time. The iS just is non of them....and thirsty, where the 325d with bags of speed even when driven hard around town would do 43mpg the lexus when driven gently gets tops 40mpg on a long run.

Nup, had a loan one 58reg for a week and that was exactly the same.

The 325d (197bhp version) manual was very fast, punchy, with bag of torque from as little as 1100 rpm, in fact it was difficult not to have the traction light flashing all the time. The iS just is non of them....and thirsty, where the 325d with bags of speed even when driven hard around town would do 43mpg the lexus when driven gently gets tops 40mpg on a long run.

43 around town driven hard ,sounds like a fairy tale,but ,it is christmas time. :P

To be fair, I would believe it with a 3 series. Even in my old 3 series (which was a 2001 E46, 136bhp version) I was STILL getting about 38 on the same town driving that the 220D is giving me 22 for.

And apparently, the fuel efficiency in the new ones is something else.

BUT - they don't look as good, and have nowhere near the spec levels for the same money. It's all just a pay off.

To be fair, I would believe it with a 3 series. Even in my old 3 series (which was a 2001 E46, 136bhp version) I was STILL getting about 38 on the same town driving that the 220D is giving me 22 for.

And apparently, the fuel efficiency in the new ones is something else.

BUT - they don't look as good, and have nowhere near the spec levels for the same money. It's all just a pay off.

Hello all

Not been on for a while but just thought I'd chuck my bit in. Had my E90 for 8 months now and covered 20k. I get high 40's around town and have seen 60.3 from a 200 mile motorway round trip with the cruse on 80mph!

No you don't get the toys with the BM but you don't get the rattles or rotting wheels either.

I still miss my Lexus but the BM is a much better all rounder!

My boss is just looking at a 325d - I'd be more than happy with one of those or it's big brother - the 335d (or even 335i!).

I am surprised it's taken so long for the diesel to get a twin turbo but by heck they hit the jackpot :lol:

I do a fair bit of running around in a 318i and that's great too - seems faster than my IS ever was plus economy is great on that thing - it's a tourer too!