Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dr. Colorchip - Review

Hando

(thanks to Kin and Tango for pointing this product out).

Dr. Colorchip

[You will find a much better review of this Here ]

So my IS has picked up the usual number of stone chips on the bonnet (soft Jap paint versus UK roads == chips) plus a really bad case of road rash on the bottom bumper (looks like someone shot it with a shotgun). Credit crunch ruled that a respray was out of the question. So I ordered this kit from the US and spent this afternoon applying/removing.

Ordering is simple - you enter your car and the paint code (search the forum or check your vin plate) and choose your size of kit. The bad news is that there is only one shipping option to the UK and it's pricey.

The good news is that my kit was with me in 3 days!!!!

Anyway in the kit is: one bottle of paint matched to your code, one bottle of Sealact, one buffing cloth, one rather Dexter-looking rubber glove, and three small brushes.

The process for stone chips:-

-- DAB the paint in little dollops on the chips

-- immediately smear that dollop with your gloved hand (start before the chip and smear lightly down the body over the chip) - the idea here is to make the paint blob roughly flush with the rest of the paint and then spread the remainder of the paint as thinly as possible (to make it easy to remove later)

-- leave the paint to dry for around ten mins (cig break)

-- now squirt the sealact over a lint-free rag (old T-shirt or similar) and run it over the area with the smeared paint (the sealact removes the Colorchip paint - NOT your oem paint.)

-- once the smeared paint is gone buff with the cloth. Now the only paint left is the bit in the stone chip hopefully flush with the rest of your paint.

The process for road rash (by now I'd done some chips so was feeling confident)

-- dollop some paint on a rag and smear it over the whole area.

-- have another cig

-- remove paint with sealact as before.

The results:-

-- With chips, well, visually it's MUCH better, however it's not a miracle and you can still feel the chips and see it in certain light.

-- With Road rash - I was VERY VERY impressed, indeed.

PROS

-- it is idiot proof

-- it is easy and quick

-- it is MUCH better than traditional touch up paint.

-- it arrives three days after ordering

CONS

-- shipping form US costs a ton

-- it is not a miracle - chips are not gone, they are just much less visible.

I know - this thread is worthless without pics - but to get pics of paint defects you need good light and good camera - and I have neither so here's some rubbish pics from my phone with shaky hands in poor light.

BEFORE

Bad case of road rash:-

DSC00577.jpg

Some nasty chippage:-

DSC00575.jpg

General Chippage:-

DSC00574.jpg

AFTER

Road rash gone (take my word for it)

DSC00579.jpg

Big chips much better

DSC00580.jpg

Overall

DSC00581.jpg

I would and will definitely be buying this product again once my current lot runs out.

h

looking good

what was the total cost did you have any import costs etc ?

Import cost's a non-issue - package marked as "sample". :whistling:

I got the "Road rash" kit. Can't recall exact cost but you can see/calculate on the colorchip www.

*edit* - shipping was $47 (!!!!!!)

Looks to be a copy/clone of the Langka system here which I have used before BUT...... The Road Rash kit doesn't appear to include in aclear laquer/sealant so the paint you put on the chips etc may not last very long !

Either way anything that improves those dreaded chips is a bonus ! :winky:

The Ed

Looks to be a copy/clone of the Langka system here which I have used before BUT...... The Road Rash kit doesn't appear to include in aclear laquer/sealant so the paint you put on the chips etc may not last very long !

Either way anything that improves those dreaded chips is a bonus ! :winky:

The Ed

It's a bit different to the Langka system since the Langka works with standard paint from the dealer whereas I think there's something special about the colour coded paint supplied with this kit which makes the Sealact work with it - making it even more idiot proof. I certainly wouldn't be happy smearing normal OEM paint across my bumper with a rag - langka or not.

Had a look again at the car this morning and I am very chuffed indeed - the bumper work looks like factory finish and all road rash is gone.

With no laquer it may not last too long but the whole process is so quick and easy that I'm happy to reapply. This is no replacement for a proper repsray but as a touch up system I don't think it can be beaten for ease and results.

hando,i think you have to thank kin for the original posting. ;)

You are quite right - I missed that - it was Kin's posting on the Morgan forum that Tango linked too. Apologies to Kin - it's a great find.