Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Naughty Hid's

Hiya guys. My mate drives a X reg corsa and fitted some HID's. Within 2 weeks was pulled and told to remove them as not legal, he was told the police have been told to keep on the lookout.

I have had mine in a few months and drove past many police without an issue.

Do you think thus is because the Lex looks like a car that would have them as standard and therefore they leave us alone?

I'm seeing a lot of cars with 8000+ on at the minute, I don't get the point as 4300k is the optimal temperature anyway in terms of throw etc.

I used to have to 6000k on my IS when I had that and they did look very nice but when we sat the car next to Zee's with 4300k on side by side the difference was plain to see.

Renault do seem to be putting in a colour temp closer to 6000k than 4300k nowadays though I think?

So can a 6000k hid lamp be fitted to a hid kit that comes with 8000k lamps? I ask this because i noticed that the lamp cannot be disconnected (like normal bulbs), you still have the cable that runs to the ballast. Not sure if you get that with a seperate 6000k lamps. I've got 8000k at the moment and am getting a bit paranoid, may change down to 6000k.

With any HID kit I have ever seen, you can simply swap the bulbs over (what else would you do if one blows :o).

You could just buy a set of 4300k or 6000k bulbs. You just unplug & swap over.

They would still technically be naughty as you have no self levelling system fitted, plus the Headlamps & reflectors

are designed for a Halogen lamp light dispersal rather than for Xenons. I had no problems going through an M.O.T

with mine in the summer however (6000k).

I thought the police will only pull over if its the same as theres, i heard somewhere that theres are 10k??

i have 10ks fitted and have had no greef and my wife uses the car to go too her work.............shes a traffic cop so i spoke to her and her sarg and it goes like this..............they cant tell if your using hids or not but what they can tell is if their comin towards you and you blind them they know theirs a problem so they will stop and ask questions the sarg also looked at my hids and said they are a bit blue but it wouldnt warrant stoppin me.He took me to their evox and put the lights on and side by side their was only a slight diff....so moral of the story is once fitted get them alighned buy a garage.

Oh and ps the bulbs in all of their traffic cars are standard fit.

Dont forget guys you should also have headlight washers if you are fitting HiDs and maybe that would be another tell tale sign on the corsa :whistling:

Why do you need headlamp washers with HID's :unsure:

its a legal requirment. If you dont have self leveling lights and light washers your breaking the law by driving with HID's

they cant tell if your using hids or not

bo!!ox - cant tell if the bulbs are HID/Xenon?????? pull the other one its plainly obvious if its HID/Xenon or not

i'm not here to argue.....i asked the law and i told the peeps on here what the law said.not every one knows about cars inc traffic police!.their is a lot of Xenon bulbs out their now that will almost match hids(for the picky ones i said almost)my wee bro got bulbs from eBay for his 106 they say they are the same as 7500k my wee sis has a a4 sline soft top with hids and to be honest they are almost as bright and they match the colour too.

Dont forget guys you should also have headlight washers if you are fitting HiDs and maybe that would be another tell tale sign on the corsa :whistling:

Why do you need headlamp washers with HID's :unsure:

its a legal requirment. If you dont have self leveling lights and light washers your breaking the law by driving with HID's

It's a legal requirement for OEM-fitted HIDs. However, it's much more of a grey area when it comes to aftermarket HIDs.

For instance, it's more than a bit daft that headlamp washers are required for OEM HIDs, but as far as I know the MoT doesn't test that your headlamp washers are actually working.

i wasnt referring to the mot. just simply the law. Any car fitted with HID lights must have self washing lights.

Its also illegal to fit HID bulbs in a casing designed for Halogen.

It's not as black and white as that, otherwise it would be part of the MoT, and people would be being prosecuted by the police for fitting aftermarket HIDs (and banning the sale of such kits). Again, with respect, you are referring to the law for new cars, not aftermarket kits.

no im referring to the law for all cars.

Standard Housings are stamped HCR Approved. HID Housings are stamped DCR Appoved. It is illegal to fit a HCR component into a DCR housing.

and just because the police choose not to prosecute doesn't mean anything, as proven, my mate has just been pulled for no reason but to remove his aftermarket HID's as they are illegal and are potentially dangerous

As for companys not selling them, they dont car if its illegal, as long as there is a disclaimer. Its illegal to use italics and funny pictures on your number plate but companys still sell em

A lot of kits did used to be sold with the disclaimer that they are only for off road use - if you get an anal MOT tester it will fail!

It just seems to be another thing on the list that has a blind eye turned to it currently!

Yep, I've seen that before. But note how it's "in the Department's view", and they talk about the "legal rationale" i.e. it's not totally black and white as I said, otherwise they wouldn't need to make a bit long convoluted explanation about it :winky:

It it was totally black and white it would be a much shorter statement saying it was illegal, period !