Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Jack The Ripper Tour Late Jan Or Early Feb.

kenmac

He came silently out of the midnight shadows of August 31, 1888. Watching. Stalking. Butchering raddled, drink-sodden East End prostitutes. Leaving a trail of blood and gore that LED...nowhere. Yes, something wicked this way walked, for this is the Ripper's slashing grounds. We evoke that autumn of gaslight and fog - of menacing shadows and stealthy footsteps - as we inspect the murder sites, sift through the evidence - in all its gory detail - and get to grips, so to speak, with the main suspects. Afterward you can steady your nerves in The Ten Bells, the pub where the victims - perhaps under the steely gaze of the Ripper himself - tried to forget the waking nightmare.

Let's tell it like it is. Going on this walk is as close as you're going to get to nailing the Ripper. Because this is the Ripper walk that was devised - and is frequently guided - by Donald Rumbelow, who is "internationally recognised as the leading authority on jack the Ripper". Britain's most distinguished crime historian, Donald is the author of the definitive book on the Ripper, the best-selling The Complete jack the Ripper. He's been the chief consultant for every major film and television treatment of the Ripper for the last 25 years. The former Curator of the City of London Police Crime Museum, he's twice been the of the Crime Writers' Association. For good measure, he's a Freeman of the City of London and a top flight professionally qualified Blue Badge and City of London Guide.

“Only by starting at Tower Hill can you unlock the truth about the jack the Ripper murders.”

Donald Rumbelow, author of The Complete jack the Ripper

This is the original – and complete – jack the Ripper Walk.

It begins at Tower Hill, right on the boundary between Scotland Yard territory and City of London Police territory. Only by beginning there can you understand the conflict between the two London police forces and their leading personalities. A conflict which blurred the investigation and made it easier for the Ripper to slip through the police nets.

And please tread carefully and keep away from the shadows… for you are about to enter the abyss. Which is by way of saying, the setting itself couldn’t be more dramatic. Two minutes into the walk a back alley takes us into a hideaway where the grim old London Wall rears up directly before us. It’s a hideaway so dark and so still that you can hear people breathing, a place where the clock seems permanently turned back to 1888, back to the Autumn of Terror.

And if you want to steady your nerves… at the end of the walk you can call in at the spooky old Victorian pub where some of the Ripper’s victims drank. Very little has changed – right down to the chilling old photographs and newspaper headlines that lour at you from the walls. Here, the autumn of 1888 never ended…

When I organized one of these tours for the Mercedes Benz Club I think it was about £7 or £8 per head,so if anyone fancies a night in London with a difference let me know and I'll get the ball rolling

Would love to do this Ken...put me on the list please, though I may have to drag Barrie against his will (hopefully the promise of a few pints along the way will do it :whistling:) :D

• 2 weeks later...