Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Horn Not Working

hawk77

HI there guys,I've just bought a LExus IS200 and I love it. I have a big problem with my horn...is not working. I checked the fuses, the wires....but I could not find anything wrong. A guy from the service station reckons that it must be something inside the horn button on the steering wheel. How can I check if the wires have any power in them. Any advices would be appreciated. Many thanks

Hmm, i *think* the horn is the circuit earth so check its firmly attached to a metal area.

Also if it is the connections behind the steering wheel, check the cars history as it could have been in a crash and the airbag deployed. So when they replaced the steering wheel didnt connect the horn.

Stav

I had a similar problem with mine. if i remember right we removed the streering wheel via two bolts. Then noticed the metal bars that make the circuit when the horn was pressed were bent back. so they were bent forward and the horn now makes contact with the metal strips and the horn now works. but be careful not to pull the metal out too far, or (like my dad) you will be driving around and the horn goes off at random intervals!

I had a similar problem with mine. if i remember right we removed the streering wheel via two bolts. Then noticed the metal bars that make the circuit when the horn was pressed were bent back. so they were bent forward and the horn now makes contact with the metal strips and the horn now works. but be careful not to pull the metal out too far, or (like my dad) you will be driving around and the horn goes off at random intervals!

So was it easy to open the steering wheel? It seems that the horn it self is working as I activated the alarm which is connected to the horn, opened the hood and it works. But when I press in the middle of my steering wheel it doesn't work. I think that it might be something not connected in there. How easy is to open the steering wheel. Or should I get an electrician to look at as I dont want to have the airbag deployed. Cheers.

You can do it, but disconnect the battery for ten minutes or so before you try it.

Should be a bolt each side behind the steering wheel.

Geez Stav, that was fast. You mean those 2 little star bolts on each side of the steering wheel. What about the airbag? Is there any chance to have that deployed? Why do I need to disconect the baterry? Cheers

You need to disconnect the Battery so theres no electric to trigger the airbag.

You leave it for ten minutes for any capacitance to dissipate away.

And yeah it should be a bolt each side at the back of the steering wheel.

Stav

You need to disconnect the battery so theres no electric to trigger the airbag.

Stav

Stav, you are the man. Thank you mate. I will work on it today. So there should be a piece of metal that should touch the contacts from the steering wheel right? Do you have any pictures by any chance? I hope that I will find the problem. I am quite certain that the problem is in there.

You need to disconnect the battery so theres no electric to trigger the airbag.

Stav

Hi mate,

well I've openned the steering wheel but everything seems to be fine. Do you have a diagram of the steering wheel I can look at? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Cheers.