Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticking Caliper

Fountainz

Before anyone has a go, I have looked around but this is slightly different.

I bought my car back in June, in October my front driverside caliper started to stick, if you were on a slight slope at the lights, the car wouldn't move, it would eat fuel like no tomorrow as it was like towing something all the time due to the brake being stuck on. So, I stripped the caliper down, and free'd the pistons and greased them. Everything seemed fine and that was that.

Begining of november then the same thing starting happening again, so I did the same again and this time I changed the pads too. It was fine again for a while until now where the same is starting to happen again. Is there a permanent solution to this problem without spending a fortune on a new caliper??

Thanks in advance.

Ash.

Before anyone has a go, I have looked around but this is slightly different.

I bought my car back in June, in October my front driverside caliper started to stick, if you were on a slight slope at the lights, the car wouldn't move, it would eat fuel like no tomorrow as it was like towing something all the time due to the brake being stuck on. So, I stripped the caliper down, and free'd the pistons and greased them. Everything seemed fine and that was that.

Begining of november then the same thing starting happening again, so I did the same again and this time I changed the pads too. It was fine again for a while until now where the same is starting to happen again. Is there a permanent solution to this problem without spending a fortune on a new caliper??

Thanks in advance.

Ash.

did you remove the pistons from the caliper?if so did you notice any corosion on the piston itself?

did you check to see if their was tears or a hole in the boot round the caliper piston?

didn't remove them entirely. They seemed a little corroded. No tears in the rubber boot though.

Sounds like the pistons are not being installed properly

or

the pistons surface is damaged, and the o-rings are being destroyed

less likely

not enough copper grease

didn't remove them entirely. They seemed a little corroded. No tears in the rubber boot though.

Sounds like the pistons are not being installed properly

or

the pistons surface is damaged, and the o-rings are being destroyed

less likely

not enough copper grease

try stripping the caliper not too hard too do,you will need a hand though as you will have to get someone to pump the pedal to pop the pistons out then clamp the flexi(so you dont loose all your brake fluid) remove the boot carefully when you look inside you will see a thick o ring remove this as well check for corrosion were the pistons sit in the caliper if their is clean it up with fine paper then clean up the o ring(or replace with new one)check the piston if corroded clean with fine paper grease up the piston(not copper slip) and slide back in too the caliper then put the dust covers back on and you have just recon'd your caliper!!

next check the slide's they are easy just remove clean with a wire brush and grease(copper slip is fine)make sure the dust cover is on the slide properly.

next clean and grease the pads re-build then you will need too bleed the brakes

JOB DONE.

• 3 months later...

I understand you can get a caliper rebuild kit/overhaul kit from Lexus with new piston seals, boots and set rings for all 4 pistons (left and right side).

I called Lexus and its £63.46. My question is, can you buy these parts seperately and how come a few rings/seals are so expensive?

Anyone know?

Personally i would get a new caliper and pads, rather then doing this on the cheap (which hasn't worked) and end up one day endangering your own life or someone elses. Not worth it, get it done properly, but thats my own opion.

i agree with protocol

I understand you can get a caliper rebuild kit/overhaul kit from Lexus with new piston seals, boots and set rings for all 4 pistons (left and right side).

I called Lexus and its £63.46. My question is, can you buy these parts seperately and how come a few rings/seals are so expensive?

Anyone know?

erm you can i gave you the part numbers for everything.

Part Numbers.............Link

you cannot get them any more individually other than what i have given you as part numbers

the reason its so expensive is...well thats what toyota want to charge, the reason there not listed individually is, usually when someone does an overhaul, they change that group of parts.....

Shimples....yes :question:

OK cheers Mat.

If they wanted people to change the whole caliper, then they wouldn't provide an overhaul kit. As long as you are competant at doing it then there should be no problems. Same with any work you do on anything.

Its not exactly a complicated system - I understand its safety critical though which is why you have to use a bit of nouce. ^_^

• 3 months later...

Anyone know?

forget trying to repair the calipers, they are a common fault once they are gone they are gone. I got my o/s front caliper replaced for under £200, lexus charge 520 for the part! just dont go to a dealership or a tyre/brake fitter chain and you will save a fortune

Anyone know?

forget trying to repair the calipers, they are a common fault once they are gone they are gone. I got my o/s front caliper replaced for under £200, lexus charge 520 for the part! just dont go to a dealership or a tyre/brake fitter chain and you will save a fortune

not true! if you go to someone who knows what they are doing(i have done my fair share inc my own and they are still perfect after a year) the rebuild will work to the same standard as a new one.