Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would It Be Possible To Lower The Minimum Search Length To 3 Chars Ple

aido

I've been doing a lot of searches lately for stuff and they're all three letter acronyms which the site search won't handle as I think it's expecting 4 or 5 chars as a minimum. And no I'm not searching for s*x :lol:

Would it be possible to try lowering that to 3 letters for now, I guess an eye would need to be kept on performance stats if it could be done in the admincp please?

Google just seems a bit random at times in the results it does give back and it can be a nightmare to find certain things!

Thanks in advance :)

Would it be possible to try lowering that to 3 letters :)

no :lol:

PMSL I just wondered what you were on about til I reread my post mate :D

See the forums even truncated please to ple in the title - bloody computers :D

i am working on a better search for the forums, i agree that 3 letters searches are not possible, unfortunately the software requires 4 or more, which sucks, but i have been working on something else that will soon be on the forums.

Sounds good cheers mate :)

Just seen it's configurable in MySQL but needs all the indexes rebuilding, might have a play with it here, thought it was just an Invision thing but that's something else I guess I'm going to have to take into consideration about whatever hosting I go for :(

Here is a temporary way round it that I Posted before:

OK so you want to do a search on here to find posts with the word "gas" in, unfortunately most forums will not find 3 letter words due to the supporting database commands behind the scenes,

Well there is now an alternative to supplement your searches, try typing this into google search bar:

gas site:lexusownersclub.co.uk

You may also find if you want a combination of words that doesn't bring back many results, well just replace the word gas above with the words.

This is not intended to replace the search facility on the forum, just an extra help if you need it.

Another example, suppose you wanted to know something from the Lexus UK site, like what VSC stands for:

VSC site:lexus.co.uk

Here is a temporary way round it that I Posted before:
OK so you want to do a search on here to find posts with the word "gas" in, unfortunately most forums will not find 3 letter words due to the supporting database commands behind the scenes,

Well there is now an alternative to supplement your searches, try typing this into google search bar:

gas site:lexusownersclub.co.uk

You may also find if you want a combination of words that doesn't bring back many results, well just replace the word gas above with the words.

This is not intended to replace the search facility on the forum, just an extra help if you need it.

Another example, suppose you wanted to know something from the Lexus UK site, like what VSC stands for:

VSC site:lexus.co.uk

Cheers mate but been using that one for years on various sites - doesn't always seem to turn up all the threads though, just a shame we can't get it out of here directly :)

Well as if you'd be searching for bumpers anyway :winky:

Will give that a go cheers fella :)

Well, I mean the asterisk - not searching for bumming as that's just wrong! (No offence intended to anyone of that persuasion btw!)

• 2 weeks later...