Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sky Hd Box

gib

Hi,

I have the basic Sky package at the moment. I have managed to get my hands on a 'free' SKY HD box.

I dont intend to pay SKY their £10 a month premium to watch a few extra channels.

I am LED to believe that I can get the HD box installed, not by SKY, and it will work. I will get the usual channels plus BBC HD (but not the other HD channels) and Sky+ free.

Is anyone an expert in this and can give some advice if this is correct? How much do you think it would cost to have the box installed?

Cheers again.

I *think* yes you can get it installed by some one else. I was infact enquiring at sky about it tonight.

You'll need a different LNB reciever on the dish and an extra wire running from the dish to the box. then obviously the HD lead from the box to the tele.

Then as you said you'll get bbc hd free (and ITV i think).

You'll also get 4HD if you have a sky subscription (even a non hd one)

but i dont think sky+ will work, as you need to pay for a subscription for that, (but i think its now free so ring sky and casually enquire)

This is what ive researched anyway.

From skys site:

Luxe TV HD, Channel 4 HD and BBC HD are available without subscription. Channel 4 HD requires a viewing card.

There's some channels listed on here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/871...skyhd-free.html

When they moved the Sky dish at my mams they cocked up and only connected one lead from the LNB - the Sky+ works but you can only record the channel you are watching at that time - dodgy stuff!

As above you will need two LNBs and two cables, only thing is when I had it installed they had to phone Sky to activate the HD, but suspect this may be for the subscription chammels.

No ITV HD on Sky it's only on Freesat at the moment.

I *think* yes you can get it installed by some one else. I was infact enquiring at sky about it tonight.

You'll need a different LNB reciever on the dish and an extra wire running from the dish to the box. then obviously the HD lead from the box to the tele.

Then as you said you'll get bbc hd free (and ITV i think).

You'll also get 4HD if you have a sky subscription (even a non hd one)

but i dont think sky+ will work, as you need to pay for a subscription for that, (but i think its now free so ring sky and casually enquire)

This is what ive researched anyway.

From skys site:

Luxe TV HD, Channel 4 HD and BBC HD are available without subscription. Channel 4 HD requires a viewing card.

Whats LNB??